The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 20, 2010, 09:21 AM   #1
gyvel

Mech Tech conversions

You have purchased a Mech Tech conversion upper for one of your handguns (1911, Glock, whatever), and installed your pistol lower in to the Mech Tech upper.

Does removing your handgun lower and restoring it to its original pistol configuration now classify it as an illegal SBR?

It was my understanding that, once converted, always converted.
Old July 20, 2010, 11:06 AM   #2
flight954

It's only an SBR if the MechTech barrel is shorter than 16". If you want to chop the barrel then you have to register your Glock as an SBR and have it engraved.
Old July 20, 2010, 02:09 PM   #3
gyvel

That's not what I'm talking about. Since the lower (i.e. your original handgun) is considered the firearm by BATF, placing a Mech Tech upper on it converts your (former) handgun into a rifle. Once done, it is my understanding that it now must remain a rifle and that taking it out of the Mech Tech upper and placing your original slide and barrel back on your frame constitutes an SBR.
Old July 20, 2010, 02:58 PM   #4
rjrivero

See other thread...

gyvel,

Click This LINK.
Old July 20, 2010, 09:24 PM   #5
gyvel

Quote:
As you can see from the citations noted above, there is no definition of a “weapon made from a pistol.” Thus, converting a pistol into a rifle using the CCU would not be a violation of the GCA or NFA. However, there is a definition of a “weapon made from a rifle.” Therefore, when you convert a pistol into a rifle, it can not then be converted back. Doing so would constitute the making of an NFA-class firearm that would require prior approval by ATF and appropriate registration.

That answers the question then. Reverting back to a pistol after installing the Mech Tech upper creates an illegal SBR according to the ATF ruling. Thanks, rjrivero.
Old July 20, 2010, 10:05 PM   #6
rjrivero

You're welcome.