The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Southern Shooter

Alternate Methods/Tools to Melt lead and lead alloys???

Are there other methods or tools that can be used to melt lead and lead alloys to pour into a mold? Or, are we confined to using modern melting pots?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old July 28, 2010, 04:23 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

You can use a cast iron pot over a coleman camp stove. Turkey fryer with cast iron pot (dutch oven). DO NOT use aluminum as your pot. As long as the temp gets to where you want it for casting (650-800* [depending on what your mold likes], and it is safe, you can use it. I prefer the Lee 20# bottom pour pot. IIRC, I paid $50 for it and it works fine. Drips ocassionally, but gets the job done.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old July 28, 2010, 05:25 PM   #3
sc928porsche

For melting lead to pour in ingots, I use a cast iron pot on a turkey frier stove. I got a stainless steel soup ladel that I attached a wooden handle to for pouring the lead into the cast iron corn roasters. They make great ingots. When cooled, I put the ingots into old ammo cans.
Old July 29, 2010, 06:55 PM   #4
GP100man

If ladlin I like a stainless 2qt pot , small enuff to not require alot of heat yet deep enuff to have a good castin session .

It cleans up gooder & faster , better & no rust !!!