The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 16, 2010, 09:05 AM   #1
Mike Irwin
Staff

Who's loading .45 Long Colt with Trail Boss?

I finally tracked down a Model 25-5 4" S&W.

I'm probably going to stick with cast bullets and Trail Boss but may boost the power with something like AA 5 or AA 7.

Heaviest bullets I've loaded with Trail Boss are 240s in my .44 Special, but those loads are fairly light.

What bullet weights are you shooting? What kind of velocities are you getting? Accuracy?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 16, 2010, 01:31 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

I have used trail boss in a 5.5" vaquero with OT lasercast 200 gr RNFP bullets, loaded to an AOL length of 1.60". I used 5.5 gr and got nice accuracy and 700 FPS. Its a nice mild load. Pressure is low and the cases don't stretch, even after 10 loadings. Hope this helps.

Enjoy the smith 25, I have been looking for a nice older 25 in 45 colt for a while too.....
Old July 16, 2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's along the lines of what I load for my .44 Special.

I'm thinking I'd like to load closer to the "classic" loading of a 255 gr. bullet at about 950 feet per second.

I've fired loads like that and it should be very controllable and offer excellent power for things like bowling pins.

Old July 16, 2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Hodgdon doesn't show anything close to 950 with 250gr bullets. 727fps is max load for 250gr LRN.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old July 16, 2010, 05:50 PM   #5
longranger

I had a friend of mine in CA give me a pound of Auto Comp.he swears by it, and found loads for .45 Colt/ 4.2 gr./255gr LSWC,850fps best groups yet from a 6" Anaconda.
Old July 16, 2010, 08:59 PM   #6
TXGunNut

I'll be casting boolits for my Ruger BH in .45 Colt soon, considering TrailBoss. Target velocity same as yours, Mike. Are we thinking about the wrong powder, Mike? I'm looking for a hard-hitting lead hunting load.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 16, 2010, 10:54 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep, looks like we're thinking the wrong powder.

I guess maybe I'll start loading Red Dot or Blue Dot again.

Old July 17, 2010, 12:33 AM   #8
Edward429451

Anyone loading heavyweights in the 45 Colt? (300-320)
Old July 17, 2010, 09:50 AM   #9
TXGunNut

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Not really over max, just restricted to certain firearms. Can't be too careful w/ the heavy stuff!

I load a 300 gr XTP over 20.5 or 21 grains of 296 for my Ruger Blackhawk. This load is a definite no-go in Mike's 25-5 or anything else other than a Ruger or T/C, of course. Very accurate but extended shooting sessions won't happen for me. Current box was loaded January, 1997. Shot six several weeks ago, still work great!
Back on topic-I've been using Unique and 231 under lead loads, not real thrilled with either. Always been curious about Red Dot and Blue Dot, let us know how it goes, Mike.
BP is tempting too. All out of FFFg at the moment, could have some by the time I get my boolits cast, tho. All the reasonable velocities obtained with smokeless powders under lead bullets can probably be obtained with BP.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.

Last edited by TXGunNut; July 17, 2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Disclaimer
Old July 17, 2010, 10:24 AM   #10
zxcvbob

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

16.5 grains of Blue Dot with a 250 or 255 grain lead bullet is a good .45 Colt "Ruger" load. The pressure is in the low-to-mid 20's, so it's not a maximum by any means in a Blackhawk, but if you go higher, increase the charge slowly because Blue Dot can get squirrely on you.

Red Dot is a great powder for .45 Colt in the 850 to 1000 fps range. (should be just as good in .44 Special) My favorite load for .45 Colt is 7.5 grains of Red Dot or Promo with a 230 grain Lee cast bullet. It's a little over SAAMI specs; I wouldn't shoot this load in a pre-war Colt or a poorly made clone, but it should be OK in anything made since.