The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 9, 2010, 01:25 PM   #1
kx592

Why is the .22 the way it is?

Shooting 22's and .17's at my buddy's house controlling the squirl population the other day and he brought up something interesting about 22's. Why do they make the 22 a "not bullet" like shape? why so roughly rounded and not precise by any means? Whats it hurt to make it a nice narrow bullet shaped round? Wouldn't that increase accuracy?
Old July 9, 2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Stiofan

I guess you're wondering why the bullet is not a "spitzer" type. Remember the .17 was developed only recently and the firearms have been designed to use a more streamlined bullet shape like a spitzer.

The .22lr has been around for over 100 years, the .22 short invented in the 1850s and the .22lr in the 1870s. This cartridge has to feed in guns designed to use only regular ball ammo shape.
Old July 9, 2010, 01:33 PM   #3
demigod

If you want increased accuracy, but Match quality ammo.

Wolf, Eley, Fed Accumatch, CCI green tags, etc. I get ridiculous accuracy at 50 out of Wolf and Eley.
Old July 9, 2010, 02:38 PM   #4
briandg

there are plenty of crayon tip rounds out there. The round ball bullets are most common because they ride the bore better regardless of bore anomalies.

My thoughts are that the crayon type is a waste. Use round tips for anything, and hollow points for everything else. The crayons are at least in my experience terrible feeders, as well.
Old July 9, 2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Doyle

Having a pencil or crayon tipped bullet would not gain any increase in accuracy at typical .22 ranges. Therefore, not worth the additional manufacturing cost nor the loss of bullet weight.
Old July 9, 2010, 03:26 PM   #6
carguychris

Asides from the loss of bullet weight, .22LR rounds are also made with blunt or rounded tips because pointed tips create a safety hazard in tubular magazines. There are millions of tubular-magazine .22LR firearms in circulation (Marlin 60 & 981, Winchester 72, etc.), making pointed-tip .22LR bullets too much of a liability risk for any ammo manufacturer to accept.

The risk could be mitigated by using flex tips like the newer Marlin centerfire rounds, but the cost would probably be much higher than existing .22LR rounds, and the ammo and gun companies would be worried that this would be the answer to a question nobody is asking.

Also, a pointed-tip round similar to the .22LR but with a much lighter bullet has recently been tried... the .17 Hornady Mach 2 (.17HM2). It has gained a few fans but most of the shooting public has ignored it. It's only a few years old but it already threatening to go the way of the .22 WRF.
Old July 9, 2010, 03:32 PM   #7
kx592

Well I was only asking because I didnt know the answer my self, I get 1.5" groups at 100 yards all day, im very pleased with the higher quality 22 stuff out there but was curious of the back ground behind it all.

reply's were very satisfying thanks fellas
Old July 9, 2010, 04:36 PM   #8
teeroux

Quote:
.22LR rounds are also made with blunt or rounded tips because pointed tips create a safety hazard in tubular magazines.
I don't think so.

22lr is rimfire, the priming compound is spun and/or shaken into the rim of the cartridge. The priming compound being pinched in the cavity of the rim is what sets it off, the rim is its own primer anvil. If the case is struck in center away from the rim there is no brass for the compound to pinch against. Pointed rimfire in a tube magazine is safe.
Old July 9, 2010, 04:48 PM   #9
Big Tom

do the looks matter that much? It all the same. I dont care as long as I got accuracy, reliability, and cost efficiency. Who wants a .17 anyways. a 22lr is better for the same exact uses. I just wish it was the .22 magnum and not lr that caught on. Then we'd be getting them at the same price or very close. I mean they are stronger so y havent they caught on more?
Old July 9, 2010, 04:50 PM   #10
kx592

do the looks matter that much? It all the same. I dont care as long as I got accuracy, reliability, and cost efficiency. Who wants a .17 anyways. a 22lr is better for the same exact uses.

I beg to differ, Ive shot a squirl in the same spot with both calibers and the .17 does a number, blew a 2" hole out the other side of the body cavity, 22 only goes through with maybe .5" exit wound
Old July 9, 2010, 05:14 PM   #11
Horseman

It's a valid topic. Ammo mfg's have made accuracy strides the last couple of years with improved projectiles in the 22 Mag.
Old July 9, 2010, 08:22 PM   #12
cwb

i remember when i had my t/c benchmark, i could put 10rnds smaller then a nickle at 100yrds. shootin federal match ammo. i love .22s
Old July 10, 2010, 06:01 AM   #13
darkgael

smile

Quote:
Why do they make the 22 a "not bullet" like shape? why so roughly rounded and not precise by any means?
That made me smile. "Not bullet" like shape........well, then, what is it if not bullet shaped?
And "roughly rounded"???? not precise????
Hmmm.
Pete
Old July 10, 2010, 09:45 AM   #14
RimfireChris

When the .22 was first introduced, pretty much all bullets were that shape, only since the invention of smokeless powder did bullets start to get pointier.
Old July 10, 2010, 09:52 AM   #15
fisherman66

I believe the sound barrier would change the most efficient aerodynamic shape toward pointy. Under that speed the dome or round nose works best. I don't remember where I heard that, but that's what I recall.
Old July 10, 2010, 09:55 AM   #16
B.L.E.

At subsonic speeds, the bullet would be better off if it was the base of the bullet that was pointy and the front was round.
Old July 10, 2010, 12:59 PM   #17
csmsss

Quote:
At subsonic speeds, the bullet would be better off if it was the base of the bullet that was pointy and the front was round.
Have you ever seen a .22LR bullet? I'm guessing you haven't, if you made this statement. The .22LR is a heeled bullet - the base is of smaller diameter than the rest of the bullet. Such a design would be most un-aerodynamic in backwards flight.
Old July 10, 2010, 01:48 PM   #18
B.L.E.

Quote:
Have you ever seen a .22LR bullet? I'm guessing you haven't, if you made this statement. The .22LR is a heeled bullet - the base is of smaller diameter than the rest of the bullet. Such a design would be most un-aerodynamic in backwards flight.
Yea, sure I have, but I think it's heeled only enough to fit inside a bore diameter case. What I meant was if the back of the bullet was really pointy, like the rear of an airplane.
Old July 10, 2010, 05:41 PM   #19
4EVERM-14

In the 1980's Federal experimented with a truncated shaped bullet for their match ammo. The bullet was similar to the one Remington uses for their 'Yellow Jacket' high velocity ammo. They found only limited advantage to the shape and eventually returned to the traditional .22 bullet shape.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old July 10, 2010, 05:53 PM   #20
TXGunNut

It is the way it is because at one time many bullets were that way. 38's used to be 38's, 44's used to be 44's. Heel type bullets are all gone now, except the 22LR.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 10, 2010, 06:00 PM   #21
rshanneck2002

They all still got the job done back in the day,many a bad and good guy and animals went down to them, and you cant deny that,to much past history.
Old July 10, 2010, 06:13 PM   #22
Edward429451

Quote:
I beg to differ, Ive shot a squirl in the same spot with both calibers and the .17 does a number, blew a 2" hole out the other side of the body cavity, 22 only goes through with maybe .5" exit wound
Sooo...the .22 is better! Squirrels are food so less meat damage the better, wether it's a nice one and I eat it or it gets grilled for the dog. 22's need all the weight they can get so keep the shape and take the HP's off the market too.

Squirrels are good with mustard & cheese, mmm
Old July 10, 2010, 06:17 PM   #23
TXGunNut

Which tree rodent was deader, the one hit by the .22 or the .17?
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 10, 2010, 06:39 PM   #24
briandg

the ones I have live trapped with my havahart and tossed in a box with a rag soaked in carburator cleaner have been good and dead too.

But obviously, since you can't kill an animal without something that goes bang, I always throw in a match once they've stopped breathing.

There are several ways to skin a tree rat.
Old July 10, 2010, 07:42 PM   #25
Doyle

Quote:
Which tree rodent was deader, the one hit by the .22 or the .17?
In this case there are 2 kinds of dead. Dead with lots of usable meat and dead with less usable meat. When I shoot a squirrel, I want usable meat.