The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 29, 2010, 09:45 PM   #51
n7qvu

NICS appeal info

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm

Around the center of this NICS page are some brochures relating to the appeal process. Hope this helps E-mike..
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.
Old July 31, 2010, 07:28 PM   #52
Fish_Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineermike
I did call the FBI and asked if they had recieved my latest information (Finger print card) and I was told they had and a new letter is being mailed to me. No information on what is in the letter so I am all excited and watching for the mail person every day.
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the folks at NICS will send out a letter stating that they've received your fingerprint card/appeal or VAF application. This is likely the letter to they're referring.

Steven
Old August 1, 2010, 05:36 AM   #53
engineermike

Yep Fish,
You would be right, that is what the letter said. My appeal is proseeding on. There is probably an other engineermike out there that has done something wrong and I am paying for his mistake. I aint quit'n until I get a gun.
Old August 1, 2010, 07:06 AM   #54
blume357

Hang in there Mike....

the shameful thing is the only way to get your name off the government's 'do not sell to list' is to have your name put on another one.

I'm not sure anyone ever answered my question about OK carry permits and if this allows one to by-pass the back ground check/call in.

With a number of states you don't have to have a back ground check if you have a permit... my state of S.C. being one of them.
Old August 1, 2010, 07:25 AM   #55
sixgun67

blume, NC is like SC on the phone call. Unless you go to Dick's Sporting Goods, their policy is to make the call no matter what.
Old August 1, 2010, 07:57 AM   #56
Gonzo_308

Quote:
You would be right, that is what the letter said. My appeal is proseeding on. There is probably an other engineermike out there that has done something wrong and I am paying for his mistake. I aint quit'n until I get a gun.
Yup, and I guess you proved your point about not trusting that FFL. Look at all thew trouble he has to go through....oh wait.
Old August 1, 2010, 08:10 AM   #57
doctruptwn

When this is all said and done they will give you a PIN number, that you put on the application when you go to buy a new gun and that will be what id's you from the BG's. you shouldn't have any problems after that.
Old August 1, 2010, 09:39 AM   #58
engineermike

You are right Gonz,
It is a lot of trouble, but if I were not jumping through the hoops testing the system then I'd just be home watching TV. When it's all over and I am confirmed or denied, then Blume and I will know if I get a special ID from the FED's. The other project here is my c & c and if I get that will I be able to just give the number on that license to purchase a gun or will I have to start all over everytime I want to purchase a hand gun. But rest assured that I will not be giving my SSN to an FFL who is selling guns out of the living room of his house while he is watching his kids while filling out the paper work where he may have put down the wrong drivers license number or entered some other number on the form inccorctly or where he may have left my information lying around the office he keeps in his garage for someone else to pick up.
Old August 1, 2010, 04:08 PM   #59
medalguy

Texas also used the CHL as permission to buy. No NICS check required, just show your card, fill out the 4473, and pick up your gun and go.

Anyone in Texas who has ever had a delay knows to get their CHL.

I was a FFL holder and SOT licensee for many years, and after I let my license go I was delayed twice. Talking with one of the BATF enforcement types I discovered that having the SOT was likely the reason for the delay. Then I got my CHL and all my problems disappeared. At least problems buying guns. I still have a heavy foot.
Old August 3, 2010, 06:55 AM   #60
blume357

engineermike....

you could just ask an FFL if the state permit gets you a pass on the back ground check.... that's what I would do...

then again what you are doing with the feds will get you a pass in a way... anyway.

I fear any day now the feds will dissallow the back ground check in my state if you have a permit... then I'm sure I will have to get a special fed. I.D. # too.
Old August 6, 2010, 07:57 PM   #61
Eghad

I am retired from the military. They have my DNA, dental x rays, baclground checks for security cearances over the years and my SSN. So it does not bother me to put my SSN down.

In Texas if you have a CHP you can skip the background check.

NRA Life Member
Old August 6, 2010, 10:10 PM   #62
Aguila Blanca

One advantage of being a certified olde pharte, I guess. When I was in the Army, we had "service numbers."
Old August 6, 2010, 11:02 PM   #63
Eghad

just missed out on that..I did have to register for the draft but was still in high school when it closed down.

NRA Life Member
Old August 6, 2010, 11:25 PM   #64
Aguila Blanca

The sobering thing is that I still remember my service number. We had to recite it almost daily during Basic Training, and the exercise in tear gas exposure was to don a gas mask, enter a tent filled with tear gas, take OFF the gas mask ... and recite your service number to the DI standing there (suitably masked, of course) before we were allowed to exist stage left. I got through mine on the first try ... some of my mates didn't, and after the first try it was pretty difficult to even think about a second ... or third.

It's amazing what a little positive reinforcement can do for the memory ...
Old August 7, 2010, 08:56 PM   #65
engineermike

I recieved my notice from the Justice Department today, and I have been identified as not the person who they believed me to be. I can now go and buy the hand gun from the FFL if it has not been more than 30 days and I have paper work stating that. But if it has been more than 30 days then I will have to go through another back ground check, or if I wish to purchase a hand gun from another FFL I will need to go throght the back ground check again. I did not recieve and special ID number and as stated the check system is a "Name System" so I might get "Denied" again. If I am a person who gets denied offten then I might want to consider letting the FBI retain my information (The information that the Government has to destroy after 48 hours) I can fill out a form and sent it to them to put on file to use as a check. Not sure how that works? So each time I am denied I will have to go through this process again and again. I will contact the State Investigation Department next Monday and ask about the CCL once given if that will be good for the back ground check. Guess I had better save my "Finger Print Card".
Old August 7, 2010, 10:06 PM   #66
Fish_Scientist

Quote:
If I am a person who gets denied offten then I might want to consider letting the FBI retain my information (The information that the Government has to destroy after 48 hours) I can fill out a form and sent it to them to put on file to use as a check. Not sure how that works? So each time I am denied I will have to go through this process again and again.
I had been denied on several occasions and applied for acceptance into the Voluntary Appeals File (VAF). They were thorough in investigating my background and acceptance took roughly 6 months. I was issued a UPIN which I now put on each 4473. Since I've been accepted into the VAF, I've not once been denied and generally get an approval in a few minutes.

If you're ever uncomfortable being on another fed list, you can always write to the FBI and have them remove your information. Unfortunately, this puts you back at square one with denials and delays.

Fish
Old August 8, 2010, 12:44 PM   #67
engineermike

You talked me into it, I'm filling out the form as we speak.
Old August 15, 2010, 06:02 AM   #68
blume357

I have to ask it or point it out....

So, you contact the FBI and request your name be taken off all list, do they put your name on a list of people who've had their name taken off the other list?

I'm sorry, but we live in a world of list.... government and private... all this worry about putting your social security number on the FFL form because somebody at the gun shop is going to steal your identity?

If you want to be really paranoid just realize where most of the 'stolen' information comes from.... government employees...

kind of like asking the question (different thread) which gun laws violate the 2nd amendment... well technically all of them.... every last dab one of them.

I along with many others 'celebrated' getting a concealed weapons permit ...
So, we celebrated getting permission from the government to excersise a right with now certain restrictions than we are supposed to know absolutely.... and are now on the BIG LIST if things change...

I'm not worried or over paranoid about this... but being on 'the list' will not get your guns confiscated at some 'bad' time down the road... it will just get you a free trip to 'camp'. Historically that is what has happened...
Old August 15, 2010, 09:49 PM   #69
engineermike

Screw it, I don't even want a gun anymore.
Old August 15, 2010, 10:39 PM   #70
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Screw it, I don't even want a gun anymore.
See how easy that was?

Your tax dollars, working hard to protect the children.
Old August 16, 2010, 05:02 PM   #71
blume357

You need to put some smiley faces after that post engineer mike..

because I'm sure you were just joking....

the only real answer to my hopefully deluded diatribe about being on 'the list' is to have so many people on that list that there is no way in the world 'they' will ever try and round us up.

besides that, you are probably already on 'the list'... so what you got to lose?
Old August 16, 2010, 08:09 PM   #72
engineermike

Again blume, you're the only one that got the joke. I'll wait until I hear from the FBI and if I get on the list my SSA # will be safe and then I will be able to buy a hand gun any time I want. Or if not then maybe someone else can purchase it for me and gift it too me.
Old August 24, 2010, 01:43 PM   #73
NickW

WOW what an ordeal and a Bravo Zulu Mike for sticking it out.

I get delayed every time I purchase a handgun. I have a CC permit, security clearance and I run background checks on people every week as part of my job; yet, I still get delayed every time, even though I always put my SSN down on the form. Once you’re on “THE LIST” for whatever reason, you will get delayed until higher authority says “yea, he’s O.K. send the approval.” With me that’s about four to six hours; therfore, I make my weapon selection way in advance, then make the purchase when the shop first opens so I can pick-up that afternoon.
Old August 27, 2010, 10:22 AM   #74
rsgraebert

Just an aside here based on your last comment, EngineerMike -

That would be highly illegal as the "straw purchase" process is defined as purchasing a weapon for another individual with the intent of hiding their identity.
Old August 27, 2010, 11:33 AM   #75
engineermike

As Blume would say, I need to use more smiley faces. "IT'S A JOKE". But if someone from my state were to buy a gun and then run into me at a local gun show, and he/she was willing to sell that gun to me and he/she could see that I was not a convicted felon then I could purchase that gun. All I would have to do is show him/her my state dirvers license (Along with some cash)(I would prefer giving a check if they would take one) and then I believe all would be good. Of course he/she could not sell me the gun if I am a convicted felon or one of the few other things that prevent someone from purchasing a gun. I do have a piece of paper from the FBI that says I have no convictions and that I can buy the gun I wanted at the begining of the thread, if purchased withing 30 days of the background check. (My paper work came back in time but the dealer failed to return my call in time to meet the 30 day dead line) I'm pretty sure that an induvidual at a gun show would be willing to sell me his gun. People still swap, trade, and sell guns at gun shows without a background check don't they? I am also sure they are checking id's, if I could just get them to start taking checks.

I am a proponet of the "Backgroung Check" I believe we should have one. My complaint is, "The one we have is not the best one we could have". My other complaint is, "No one is trying to make the one we have better".

Bulme, I would have used more faces but I am only allowed a total of six.