The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 7, 2010, 02:03 PM   #1
senior
Member In Memoriam

Taurus 738

Please, just answers, no "I tried to tell u" remarks! Just picked up a Taurus TCP 738 .380 AND NEED advise. Cleaned and reassmebled, ran the slide back and forth several ties to check for fuction. I loaded both mags with 6 rds, inserted in the well and CAN NOT draw the slide back to load a round, slide is bound up. I can fully load, insert, then release slide catch and it will load a rd, but then drop the mag and place another rd in the mag (6), reinsert and once more can not work the slide manually. If i only load mags with 5 rds, i can insert, draw the slide back and work it. Called Taurus and they seemed stumped, any ideas to correct this as i hate to send back to them and wait till burial insurance expires to get it back!
Old July 7, 2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Spammy_H

I'm sorry to hear what happened. I have the TCP/738, and haven't encountered the problem that you have. Stupid question time: are you sure that there are only 6 rounds in the magazine and not 7?

If not, I'm guessing it needs a trip back to FL to get some love from CS.
Old July 7, 2010, 02:49 PM   #3
wingman

Mine locked back after 5 rounds fired with one mag only sent that mag back to Taurus for replacement still waiting after 2 months. Having said that gun is very accurate and easy to fire surprisingly for such a small pistol, would be nice to have 2 mags.
Old July 7, 2010, 03:09 PM   #4
senior
Member In Memoriam

tautus

still looking for resolve to my problem if possible. Nope, six rds only on mag, like i said, load 5 rds and slide works fine, but load 6 and its binding time!! Was told to try returning one mag for replacemnent and it would take a FEW DAYS, 2 MONTHS, IF NOT MISTAKEN, IS NOT A FEW DAYS!! ( could this just be a breakin problem, or was i given two bad mags?)
Old July 7, 2010, 09:20 PM   #5
RickE

The lock pin is not inserted in the right place. It must be inserted with the breach/barrel moved all the way forward. It takes 3 hands to do this, but two works after a while. Otherwise the slide will not lock back. That is what you were eluding to ...right?

Last edited by RickE; July 7, 2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old July 7, 2010, 09:24 PM   #6
RickE

Sorry, read it again, and different issue. I have not heard of this issue. I just bought one, and I love it. No problems. It does not sound like a major issue. Let Taurus fix it. They are great when functioning they way they were intended. It does sound like a mag problem. Are there any clues on the casing or bullet of the sixth round to see what it may be hanging up on? you may have to force it a little to obtain a "print".

Last edited by RickE; July 7, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old July 8, 2010, 07:31 AM   #7
senior
Member In Memoriam

TAURUS

I have been able to finally be able to jerk back on the slide and move it perhaps an 1/8 of an inch to the rear, but no more than that, slide diffently hanging up on something it appears. As I said, load 5 in the mag and slide will glide back smoothly to load, but wont move if 6 loaded. With full mag of 6 must use slide release to load a rd, if i dont top off, everything seems fine, but with it full, no movement of slide ( as stated ,perhaps an 1/8th of an inch)
Old July 8, 2010, 10:39 AM   #8
NightSleeper

Sounds like a possible magazine issue. Do you have more than 1 magazine to try? You may want to buy a couple more magazines and see if it still happens.
Old July 8, 2010, 11:31 AM   #9
senior
Member In Memoriam

taurus

Yep, suppose its time to see about buying another mag or 2, if that turns out to be the problem, then the 2 supplied with the gun will surely go back to Taurus for replacement
Old July 28, 2010, 01:55 AM   #10
Matt32

Encountering a similar problem

I just bought my TCP today after much consideration between it and the Sig 238. When I got the gun home, I cleaned the usual manufacture gunk off and put mil-spec oil on the gun (didn't over do it.) I have been cycling Federal Hydroshock through the gun manually and it seems every round but the last round in the mag is getting hung up on the feed ramp and rounds are not being chambered. I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm guessing one of two things is the problem: either the feed ramp may need polishing or the magazine spring does not have quite enough tension.

With that being said, I'm still happy with the gun and I'm not going to judge it yet. I have not shot the gun at this point, and I'm going to in a day or two. I'll let you know what happens. This problem right off the bat does have me a bit worried. If anyone has any suggestions, please give input.
Old July 28, 2010, 11:14 AM   #11
Gdevine

I believe RickE is correct. When you reassembled the gun the lock pin is not in the correct position causing the slide to jam up. Make sure the barrel is pulled all the way forward when putting the pin back in. You want to make sure to get the pin under the barrel in the groove. This has happened to others as well.
Old July 28, 2010, 05:20 PM   #12
senior
Member In Memoriam

After loading up the mags with 6, put the mags away for a week and tried again, slide will now pull back and load a rd from a full mag. Semms it had to have been something with the mags and letting them sit loaded for several days SEEMS to have corrected whatever it was that was causing the slide to lock up and not retract!
Old July 28, 2010, 09:02 PM   #13
Gdevine

Well...well, what do you know. There are a few things coming to light that new TCP owners need to do BEFORE firing right out of the box (already said here). I followed these simple instructions and had a flawless first 100 rounds right out of the box.

1. Breakdown gun and provide a thorough cleaning.
2. Wipe down and oil liberally.
3. Manually run the slide through 100 or more complete cycles.
4. Load mags for a few days to a week or more.

This worked for me but I say that after only 100 rounds. Generally speaking, after 100 rounds you can pretty much tell how the action will behave going forward. For me, I've had NO FTF, FTE, no jams and every time the slide locked back on the 6th round.

Time will tell but I think for the most part this is all new TCP owners have to do to get it right.
Old July 28, 2010, 09:31 PM   #14
armoredman

I handled one of these once, and I love the feel and action...if life deals me another pair of aces, I'll see about picking one up.
Old July 28, 2010, 11:48 PM   #15
warningshot

I am not making excuses for Tarus

Mr. senior,

When you said you came back to the gun some time later I thought about this angle:

With all small auto pistols sometimes it’s difficult to get enough hand or finger strength on the slide. When fatiguing sets in you are applying effort but the force is gone. Said another way, it is easy to apply 10 lbs of force on a larger slide like a 1911 size pistol. But try to apply that same 10 lbs of force on a small slide and it takes more effort. The effort drains the strength before the force can be applied.

However, I do not think this is your current problem.

Looking on the bright side; It is much easier to manufacture a small semi auto pistol rather than a revolver. There are always exceptions. But with some luck you can get your new Taurus semi auto up and running.
Old July 29, 2010, 07:30 AM   #16
Squibb

I've had nothing but problems with mine from the day I bought it. 36 FTEs the first range trip. It went back to Taurus and a month later I got it back with a new slide. Regretfully, since then, I always get a couple of FTEs every time I shoot it.

Of course, since I bought it for CC, that is simply unacceptable. So, I've stock 4 different kinds of ammo and will begin to record each shot. If it fails once, it's gone.

It all comes down to karma with Taurus; either you get a good one, or you don't. Not enough to bet the ancestrial keister on.
Old August 1, 2010, 09:16 PM   #17
RickE

If Taurus used your mags, two things come to mind. One... ammo. Try FMJ if you have been using JHP etc. And, no puns intended, are you limp wristing it? The short, sharp cycling of a (spirited) little auto like this requires a firm hold to allow the action to cycle properly.
Old August 1, 2010, 09:58 PM   #18
Squibb

It sounds as though senior is still try to get to the range. I'm looking forward to that report.

RickE is correct; the TCP is very sensative to being limp wristed. Of course that is a self fulfilling prophecy with this pistol. It is not a range pistol and it does not take a lot to begin feeling the recoil which, of course, leads to limp wristing.

My particular TCP does not like to be dirty, either. Somewhere around 40 rounds it will begin to FTE now and again. If I stop and clean it I'm usually good to go. Since I bought it for CC, that does not cause me as much concern, as it is cleaned and ready when it goes into my pocket.
Old August 7, 2010, 09:29 PM   #19
Blacky

Took my new TCP to the range yesterday with 50 rds of L&B 380 FMJ 60 gr ammo. 1st 2 mags were excellent but the next 6 mags had a FTE on the next to the last round in both mags. Is this a mag issue,gun issue or me?

Like the gun a lot.
Old August 8, 2010, 07:04 PM   #20
RickE

Blacky, did you dis assemble clean, and lube it before you took it out? If not, that may be the problem. What is L&B ammo? 60 grain? sounds really light for a .380, they normally run 90-100 grains.
Old August 8, 2010, 09:04 PM   #21
DBCooper

Blacky,

Same thing with mine.

The slide locks back on the "next" to the last round instead of on an empty magazine.

If you field strip the gun and put a magazine in with one round in it, you can see what is causing it.
there is a small metal tab sticking out that is supposed to be lifted up by a cut out in the magazine. This tab is part of the slide lock mechanism.

The FMJ rounds are hitting a sharp edge of this on my gun, just enough to lift the slide lock when the weapon is out of battery, slide back and it catches.

I called Taurus CS and they say it is a mag problem??

They told me to mail my mags back one at a time if I want to so I won't be out the use of the gun. And they will replace them.
Although the new improved mags are on back order for at least 2 weeks.

I took my dremel tool and a very small metal bit and VERY carefully, removed the sharp edge on the tab that was hitting my FMJ noses.
I took so little material off, you can barely tell.

I took it back out to the range and I fired 12 magazines that I loaded with 3 rounds each to check the malfunction.

Out of 12, only once did it happen again. I will note that it has NEVER malfunctioned in this manner with my cone shaped self defense rounds in the mag. Only the round nose, FMJ

I am happy with how the weapon runs now and I will wait for the new mag and see how it compares to the old one.
Old August 8, 2010, 11:05 PM   #22
Blacky

Yes cleaning the weapon was the first thing i did before i took it to the range. Oh the ammo was Lellier & Bellot FMJ 92gr. Going back tomorrow with Remington UMC 95 gr.
Old August 9, 2010, 09:35 PM   #23
RickE

DBCooper, sounds like you solved the problem that so many others have experienced! I hope they see the post. You may want to start a new thread, and let them all know. Good job.

And Blacky... It is Sellier & Bellot (SB) just an FYI
Old August 10, 2010, 09:54 AM   #24
DBCooper

If anyone else is having this problem, with FMJ rounds locking the slide back with one round left in the mag, just take the slide off and load one round in a mag and see for yourself.
When you take the slide off you can see where the bullet nose is hitting.

I suppose a improved follow plate in the mag could fix it also.
Old August 10, 2010, 10:05 AM   #25
wingman

Had same problem as stated in this thread with my 738 one mag bad returned to Taurus they sent new mag same problem I returned and requested they try mag before shipping, bingo second mag worked,what it appears (opinion only)they have different vendors for mags,I've noticed varying quality(visual) in ones I've tried.

I now have 3 mags working, gun is very accurate for a short barrel, pleasant to shoot and easy to carry.