The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 4, 2010, 08:06 PM   #1
RGR3/75

Concealed draw time

without <turning this into a chest-thumping competition>, what's your draw time? concealed or open draw + 1 shot.

Last edited by JohnKSa; July 4, 2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Terminology
Old July 4, 2010, 09:11 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Ok, all posts after the original post deleted. Let's try this one more time from the top.
Old July 4, 2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Snowshoe

My best ever was, from concealment to two shots on target, 1.9 seconds.

I practiced a lot then.

Probably a lot slower now.
Old July 5, 2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Glenn Dee

Thank you JOHN.

Never timed myself. But than I dont personally see quick draw as a soloution to any real world problem.

I prefer something called covering from the loaded position. The actual speed of the draw is negligible.

Last edited by Glenn Dee; July 5, 2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old July 5, 2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Deputy Dog

When all you have is seconds?

My fastest concealed with 2 shots center mass is within 3.5 seconds.

My fastest open carry with 2 shots center mass 2 seconds.

I have also slowed down due to medical reasons!

DD
Old July 5, 2010, 11:19 AM   #6
CWPinSC

Expose the holster, draw, aim, shoot - under two seconds, more like 1.5. Practice, practice, practice.
Old July 5, 2010, 11:54 AM   #7
GM1967

Quote:
Never timed myself. But than I dont personally see quick draw as a soloution to any real world problem.
How can you not?

A bad guy is most likely going to have his weapon in his hand. They are the aggressors, after all. Being able to get your weapon into use quickly could mean the difference between life and death
Old July 5, 2010, 02:39 PM   #8
shafter

You better be able to get it onto your hand quick. It won't do any good sitting in the holster.
Old July 5, 2010, 02:54 PM   #9
ojibweindian

From concealed, I can get two shots off in just over a second. The problem is that at speed, half the time I end up putting those two rounds in the "-1" zone on an IDPA target.
Old July 5, 2010, 03:19 PM   #10
Claude Clay

winter concealed draw time is -0- cause my hand is already in the pocket my 642 is in. or through the slit in the coat pocket allowing my hand to touch the gun on my belt.
other seasons 1.5 seconds (buzzer to double tap) for the belted gun or -0- for the one in my vest pocket.
not concealed average 1.11 ( 1.21 with second shot).

like was said before-practice, practice, practice.
though most will max( min?) out at 1.5 to 2 seconds.
under 2 seconds is competent. 1.5 is where good starts.

I'm good at this; i practice and i am an instructor. but others can speak 7 languages. fly a jet and shoot missiles! practice to be the best you can be at what is important to you. and be able to recognize when you have plateaued. after all---a mans got to know his limitations.

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old July 5, 2010, 05:15 PM   #11
threegun

Quote:
A bad guy is most likely going to have his weapon in his hand. They are the aggressors, after all. Being able to get your weapon into use quickly could mean the difference between life and death
If you are behind in the reactionary curve (bad guy has gun pointed at you while yours is still holstered) you had better either comply or employ another tactic while you draw. Chances are if you stand and draw you will be shot. Draw as you run engage as soon as possible and pray.

This is why situational awareness is so important. Lessen the chances of being caught behind in the reactionary curve.

Guy with FOF training will tell you that very very few folks come out of being behind in the reactionary curve uninjured.
Old July 5, 2010, 05:48 PM   #12
ojibweindian

Quote:
If you are behind in the reactionary curve (bad guy has gun pointed at you while yours is still holstered) you had better either comply or employ another tactic while you draw. Chances are if you stand and draw you will be shot. Draw as you run engage as soon as possible and pray.

This is why situational awareness is so important. Lessen the chances of being caught behind in the reactionary curve.

Guy with FOF training will tell you that very very few folks come out of being behind in the reactionary curve uninjured.
Very true.
Old July 5, 2010, 06:03 PM   #13
AK103K

Quote:
Chances are if you stand and draw you will be shot.
I agree. Hopefully too, if youre lucky, the bad guys watched to many movies, and doesnt understand the advantage of distance the gun gives him. If hes fairly close, the last thing hes going to expect, is you to attack him, and his gun is already out for you.

We as "gun people", tend to be to focused on "the gun", as the answer to all problems, gun related or not. Sometimes running away from the problem is the best answer, sometimes running to it is, its all in what you've worked on before the fact, so you at least have an idea as to whats probably going to be your best choice. Speed of draw has its place, as do a few other options. Hopefully, speed of draw, isnt all you got, and youre not just winging it, after the one or two scenarios youve thought about while stuck in traffic, dont pan out.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old July 5, 2010, 08:54 PM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
This and the high incidence of mutual suicide in FOF are the two main reasons I'm somewhat skeptical of the applicability of all lessons learned from FOF to the real world.

I try to keep up with armed self-defense incidents and I see very few cases where mutual suicide is the outcome.

Similarly, I've come across several reported incidents where a defender drew against a drawn gun and prevailed uninjured.

I think that the key in both scenarios is that in an FOF situation both participants expect the other participant to be armed while in the real world, criminals typically are expecting unarmed victims.

To be clear, I'm not advising that people draw against a drawn gun; I'm just pointing out that it doesn't seem to be as bad an option in the real world as FOF makes it out to be.
Old July 6, 2010, 12:10 AM   #15
raimius

What sized target, and what range?

Open holster: 1.7sec, 1rd, CSAT target (similar to A-zone), 7yds
Concealed: ? sorry...
Old July 6, 2010, 12:58 AM   #16
Hook686

From first alert to draw (pocket), point, fire, about 5 seconds.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old July 6, 2010, 07:01 AM   #17
shafter

If a BG has a gun on me I'd have to be really lucky to make the draw in time. However if I was open carrying a SA revolver I think I'd have a pretty good chance of nailing him before he could react.
I think I'd have to be awful sure he was going to shoot me before I tried something like that though. I might not be as fast under pressure.
Old July 6, 2010, 07:14 AM   #18
threegun

It is not possible to make the draw from concealment before the bad guy can drop the hammer. He may miss or he may hesitate or he may crap his pants however do not expect anything other than his gun going boom before you finish that draw.

JohnKsA is correct in that real world footage shows a different outcome to FOF however no man alive can draw from concealment before another drops the hammer.

So if you try expect to be shot and continue to fight if you are shot. If you believe the bad guy will not use the firearm perhaps your odds are better to comply.

Last words SITUATIONAL AWARENESS.
Old July 6, 2010, 07:52 AM   #19
Skans

I recall it being something like 3-4 seconds.

Personally, I think too much emphasis is put on how fast you can draw and shoot. Yes, you need to be able to access and shoot without being a bumblefingers. But, what you really should be doing, if possible is getting out of the way of an attacker, or ducking for cover.

Also, when I'm at an ATM Machine, (aside from constantly looking around and behind me), I cheat - I sometimes keep my lefthand on my pistol while my right hand is working the ATM machine. I'm good enough with my non-dominant left hand, and I do practice shooting left handed.

FWIW, if you haven't noticed, I'm scared of ATM machines.

Last edited by Skans; July 6, 2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old July 6, 2010, 10:50 AM   #20
shafter

Hey Skans how about operating the ATM with the left hand instead?
Old July 6, 2010, 11:17 AM   #21
Dave R

For someone who carries concealed, I think the draw from concealment is the most important thing to practice. Most ranges won't allow fast draw, so I practice in my garage with plastic training bullets.

I can get the first shot on target in about 1.5 seconds. I'm working to get that down.
Old July 6, 2010, 12:20 PM   #22
Skans

Quote:
Hey Skans how about operating the ATM with the left hand instead?
Nooooo, that's way too dangerous - left hand like punching in extra zeros....can't let that happen!
Old July 6, 2010, 01:21 PM   #23
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Depends a lot on what gun. My Dan Wesson 357 and my 1911A1 from an open holster just a hair under 1 second but nowhere near that with any other gun and closer to 3+ seconds from concealed or small of the back draw. I practice with 25 yard targets and if I really want to get my first shot on target then don't expect anything under 3 seconds. I will never win a fast draw match, the only number I am really concerned with is who gets the first good shot. I know a man who can get 5 out of his 6 shots off before I get my first shot off, but my target is farther away than 9' and my target always has holes in it. Point, mine.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 7, 2010, 01:00 AM   #24
GoingQuiet

In IDPA, my first shot breaks from buzzer to bang somewhere between 2 and 2.5. Its slow. I need to work on it.
Old July 7, 2010, 01:17 AM   #25
RGR3/75

lot of good times on here. 7m, ipsc target, all hits in the A zone. i start holding a rifle but hands up works fine too. i'm anywhere from 1.2-1.5s