The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 15, 2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Randallpink

Price Question: Winchester model 70 featherweight .270 WSM

I will be needing a rifle for the upcoming PA deer season. I am set on a .270 WSM and have found the above mentioned rifle for $550 used at 95 percent condition. Should I jump on this deal? I have no experience with Winchester but the Model 70 is almost legendary to many people who's opinions I trust. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 15, 2010, 07:59 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

The model 70 has varied greatly in quality over the decades, from outstanding to average, and the more recent ones ( just before they closed the New Haven, Ct factory doors a few years ago - 2006? ) were not anything that I would be proud to own. I have heard great things about the newer ones ( made in S.C. by FN/ Herstal) though. Any idea on where and when it was made? $550 looks to be a good price, based on gunbroker.com

Last edited by mikejonestkd; June 15, 2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old June 15, 2010, 08:05 PM   #3
kraigwy

Any Model 70, in any kind of diecent shape at all is worth $550, I'd jump on it.

Don't be scared away with the Post 64 BS, they are dern good rifles. I have two target rifles built on post 64 winchesters, they are some great shooters.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 15, 2010, 09:23 PM   #4
crghss

I have a Winchester 70 circa 1980. Great gun, like it a lot. If yours is one of the newer ones made in S.C. by FN/ Herstal I would think it's steal, jump on it. If it's an earlier model I'd say it's a good price. As mentioned look on Gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com to get a idea of price.

The .270 wsm is good caliber but it is expensive to shoot but I'm sure you know that.

Since you found a rifle in caliber that you want but thats not very common I think this should give you some leverage in negotiating a better price.
Old June 15, 2010, 09:58 PM   #5
Randallpink

Thank you all fo the timely responses. I will post tomorrow with more details about this rifle. I do realize that it is a rather expensive cartridge. I have an old Remington 700 in .30-06 that Gets plenty of cheap use. I chose the .270 WSM because I wanted a faster, flatter shooting rifle to delve into some long range shooting.
Old June 16, 2010, 11:53 AM   #6
ForneyRider

Looks like a deal. I priced a bunch of used, but recently manufactured, model 70's. Settled on the model 70 super grade in 270 wsm. $550 is a good price for excellent condition wood model. plastic stock will be cheaper. Super grade more.

I've seen the heavy barreled, wood stocked Win 270 WSM's go for $550.
Old June 16, 2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Major Dave (retired)

I bought one of the last Model 70 Featherweights

in 270 WSM made before they quit making them in 2007 (or was it 2006 or 2008?) Anyway, the version that everyone claims was lacking in quality control.

Paid $800 for it. Walnut/blue. Left hand. Nice wood (I picked the best from the three they had in the rack).

The only problem it had was excess wood in the inletting, which prevented proper functioning of the bolt release. The in-house gunsmith at Gander Mountain, where I made the purchase, fixed the problem in less than 5 minutes.

I had another gunsmith replace the factory trigger with a Canjar aftermarket one, and had it set to 2.5 pounds, the same as all of my centerfire rifles.

I'm very pleased with the accuracy (1.5 MOA, out of the box). I have put only about 50 rounds thru it, to date, so I expect the bore hasn't been broken in enough to reach it's full potential for accuracy. After about 100 rounds of factory ammo, I will start hand loading for it, and then I will really find out how accurate it can be.

I have killed 4 deer with it. One 8 point buck, and 3 does. All one shot - DRT. The buck was broadside, facing to my left, but at the shot, he disappeared. Then, I saw what I thought was a rabbit hopping slowly, where the buck had been standing. When I looked thru my scope again, it was actually the bucks hind feet twitching. He had been flattened, and thrown 90 degrees, landing facing straight away from me! I was impressed with that much power in a cartridge.

Buy it, enjoy it.