The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 6, 2010, 06:08 PM   #1
shurshot

Smith & Wesson model 13 .357 holster?

I just got a DEAL on a gently used model 13 3" .357. A co-worker / friend threw in a Strong belt holster. Great condition, light blueing wear, as he was an Intensive Supervision Probation Officer in the 80's and carried it, only shooting it to qualify with every year. Back then, PO's had to furnish their own weapons and gear. As we are issued S&W MP 9mm's now, he wanted another 9mm for off duty / home defense, so he sold me his mod 13 for next to nothing.

Anyhow, I love the gun! Very accurate with .38 spl 148 wadcutters, shoots like a .22 target pistol at 20 yards. 3" bbl, Fixed sights and DEAD ON! I have had model 19 and 66 snubbies before, loved them, but was bothered by the adj. sights, as I was concerned about clothing snags. Sold them. The model 13 changes things... No concerns now with the old FBI gun!!!

So does anyone know of a good quality inside the belt holster for this gun? I'm going to retire my old make Charter Arms .38 snub and start carrying this with some 125/Mags.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by shurshot; June 6, 2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old June 6, 2010, 06:34 PM   #2
wnycollector

I use a concealco IWB to carry my 4" M13. Trust me, you will retire the charter and carry the M13...it is a sweet CCW! Here is the link for concealco http://www.concealco.com/miva/mercha...ry_Code=051IWB
Old June 6, 2010, 06:58 PM   #3
shurshot

Thanks! I'll check those out. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I bought that Mint S&W model 13, 3"bbl and Strong holster for $100.00! No joke. A once in a lifetime gun deal.

Last edited by shurshot; June 6, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old June 6, 2010, 08:12 PM   #4
orionengnr

I you want to check out something really different, take a look at this:
http://www.hoffners.com/min4a.jpg
It is kydex, ultra thin, and holds the revolver such that the cylinder is above the belt line. As such, the revolver is close to your body (concealable) and the bulge at your beltline is minimised.
Only downside is that the revo rides a bit higher (an inch or inch-and-a-half)than a normal holster.
I sure ike the one I have for my K-frame, and am looking at buying one for my N-frame...
Old June 9, 2010, 01:48 PM   #5
camsdaddy

Ok just in case you are wondering Im really not smiling Im just green with envy.
Old June 9, 2010, 01:54 PM   #6
aarondhgraham

Only a hundred bucks?,,,

Then you need to donate $100 to the Salvation Army or some other charity to keep Karma on your side,,,
Otherwise the karma beings will say you have had enough good fortune,,,
And they will start pranking your life very soon.

Save yourself my friend!

Do the right thing before it's too late!

I know what I am talking about here,,,
18 months ago I purchased 4 handguns for $500:
S&W 629
Colt Trooper Mk III
S&W Model 36
Dakota (SAA Clone)

I knew I had gotten an incredibly great deal but I ignored the Karma,,,
Next week the transmission blew in my Toyota pickemup truck.

I'm just saying,,,

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 9, 2010, 01:56 PM   #7
BigJimP

My holster of choice is Kramer ...horsehide. They're great holsters for revolvers or semi-autos / I have a few of their IWB horsehide - and they're very good.

http://www.kramerleather.com/home.cfm
Old June 10, 2010, 11:54 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

IWB belt holsters for a S&W model 13 .357...

I'm not a big fan of IWB carry but if you want to get a decent holster, Id check these sources: www.donhume.com www.bianchi-intl.com www.tedblockerholsters.com (the LFI rigs designed by Massad Ayoob are well respected), www.miltsparks.com .

As posted if you want good leather, you may need to pay more but it will hold up well & help protect you in a real critical incident.

CF
Old June 10, 2010, 05:35 PM   #9
brian45auto

in case you were un-aware, you might want to read up on shooting fast, light projectiles out of k framed .357s.
Old June 11, 2010, 08:48 AM   #10
shurshot

Bria45Auto; Yes, I have read up on the K frame as a kid, but thanks anyhow for the heads up. Bill Jordan (famous Border Patrol agent, Gun writer and quick draw artist in the 60's and 70's), had quite a bit of input to S&W on the K-frame. Designed to shoot a ton of .38's, and hot .357's only on occassion. Practice w/.38's. carry .357's. If you want to shoot lots of .357's, get an "N" frame S&W. For all day carry though, a "K" frame is hard to beat. I sure miss reading those Jordan and Skeeter articles!!!!
Old June 11, 2010, 05:21 PM   #11
k in AR

Love the "K" but I could have got 4 or 5 for what I paid for one if I was the "lucky Dog" No problem with "carry hot & fast", just don't shoot them for fun, but then at today's prices who can?
Old June 12, 2010, 09:30 AM   #12
smee78

I believe brian45auto was refering to not using the high speed 125grn rounds in the k frame due to extra wear on the forcing cone. But I could be wrong.

p.s. congrats on your new Smith
Old June 12, 2010, 05:34 PM   #13
Sniper 51

Model 13 .357 Holster

I have had a Model 13-3 that was issued to me in 1987. When my dept went to semi-autos I bought it. Love the weapon. As for holsters, I recently purchased one for my Browning HP from Lobo gun leather. Great holster and would highly recommend it.