The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: What do you prefer
O/U 40 46.51%
SXS 46 53.49%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 11, 2010, 05:41 PM   #26
darkgael

pics

Quote:
You can always share pics of those SxS guns for our old sore eyes
My old Parker:

Old June 13, 2010, 10:24 PM   #27
Durangogun

Thanks for posting the Parker photos

Beautiful Parker.
That's a shotgun.

We had one just like it (same grade--Trojan?) hanging on the wall at home all through my childhood.

My father hunted with it. (My brother and I shared a Savage .410)

Brought back a lot of memories . . .
Thanks for posting the photos.
Old December 11, 2013, 08:31 AM   #28
Calvin 66

Thank you for starting this discussion.
My parents moved to northern Spain when I was 11. I grew up bird hunting. When I was old enough to get my own gun, my father asked me what I wanted. I must admit I had a thing for the double barrel SXS. Reminded me of the hillbillies back home. And I thought they looked cool.
Everyone I asked told me the SXS was a hair gun, while the O/U was a feather gun. I don’t know where that came from, but it stuck. So I got a semi-auto Franchi instead.
We moved back to the States when I was 17, and continued to shoot birds, and stuck with the semi automatics which I still use today for primarily duck hunting.
For the last year or so, I’ve been having the itch to buy a double barrel. I’ve been like a tortured Hamlet, pacing back and forth praying to the shotgun gods for an answer to the SXS vs O/U dilemma.
So last night I type that into Google, and see a link to this forum. And I couldn’t tell you how happy reading it made me.
I realize the post is 3 yrs old, but it was new to me, and I wanted to thank you guys for the input sharing your opinions. They’ve helped me decide on my next gun, which is going to be a SXS.
Thanks
Calvin.
Old December 11, 2013, 11:08 AM   #29
BigD_in_FL

Since you lived in Spain, then you might as well look at the AyA, Arrietta families. On a less expensive note would be the CSMC RBL; and for a little less, the S&W Elite Gold - which is now sold through Cabela's as the Dickinson
Old December 11, 2013, 12:09 PM   #30
Mike Irwin
Staff

At heart, I'm a traditionalist.

I prefer revolvers over semi-autos, blued steel over stainless steel, and a side by side shotgun ahead of an over/under.

Two years ago I picked up a nice SxS Stevens 20 gauge with double triggers. I've come to REALLY like that gun.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 11, 2013, 12:50 PM   #31
BigD_in_FL

I have the Savage/Fox BSE in 20 Mike, and compared to the S&W it is a pig on a shovel with a gritty heavy trigger, fat beavertail and the swing dynamics of a barbell..................... , but it was my first SxS so it sits in the safe.
Old December 11, 2013, 04:48 PM   #32
Louca

I was a convert. I started out as a pump liker. Then, when I shot a double, that was it. Had to get a double. I started out liking only O/U doubles but came to shoot and start liking SxS. Then I got to where I liked them a LOT more than an O/U (and I still own both). Nothing wrong with the O/U, it just seems like the SxS sight picture and feel is better. Actually, there really isn't a "sight picture" I mentioned since you really don't aim a shotgun. But I guess it is the "visual experience" of a SxS is just much nicer for me.

Lou
Old December 11, 2013, 04:50 PM   #33
zippy13

Greetings, Calvin, and welcome aboard.
Old December 11, 2013, 06:28 PM   #34
sixteenacrewood

I have serious love of sxs.
I like to hunt cane breaks and flood zones, late season, close range jump shooting. Almost everything is in season, 00buck left barrel, 7 1/2 right. What ever jumps up, deer, rabbit, dove, quail, withing range I'm ready. I have the Stoeger 12ga with two triggers. After deer season is over I don't carry the buckshot.
Old December 11, 2013, 06:50 PM   #35
TomADC

I have both but my SxS is a 100 years old but with the same shells, the SxS just kicks more, I think its the way the barrels are in relation to your shoulder if that makes sense.
Old December 11, 2013, 07:59 PM   #36
BigD_in_FL

Your 100 year old SxS was made for folks when the average size was a lot smaller than folks of today so the stock dimensions are more than likely such that you are experiencing more perceived recoil due to those dimensions
Old December 11, 2013, 08:13 PM   #37
Jo6pak

Go actual shooting, I prefer O/U for many of the same reasons others have noted. I just seem to shoot better with a stack barrel.
For fun range stuff, I like the shorty SxS coachguns, because they are just plain cool.
Old December 11, 2013, 08:46 PM   #38
Virginian-in-LA

I just do not like O/Us. The only O/U that has even tempted me in over 30 years was a little Beretta 28 gauge. For targets I usually shoot a semi. In the field, a SxS is just right.

I do not trust Remington's dating service accuracy. If they were Match.com, you could end up with Nancy Pelosi.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:07 PM   #39
TomADC

BigD, perhaps but the person that bought this gun new my grandfather was a much bigger person then I am, I'm 6 ft he was a couple of inches taller.
To me it's the nature of the beast, SxS just have more felt recoil. I get time in the next couple of days I'll compare LOP between it & my O/U's.
Old December 12, 2013, 03:07 AM   #40
340 Weatherby

Got to have both. I shot a round of skeet once with a Model 21 12 gauge choked WS1 and WS2. It left nothing to be desired. As long as they have a pistol grip, I like them.
Old December 12, 2013, 03:20 AM   #41
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
BigD, perhaps but the person that bought this gun new my grandfather was a much bigger person then I am, I'm 6 ft he was a couple of inches taller.
To me it's the nature of the beast, SxS just have more felt recoil. I get time in the next couple of days I'll compare LOP between it & my O/U's.
Even if your grandfather was a big guy, unless he had the gun fit for him it may have been built for the average size guy of 100 years past.
Old December 12, 2013, 12:35 PM   #42
TomADC

Well I'll be darned the SxS is 13 1/2 inches LOP and my O/U's are 14 inches, that means my head is back two inches on the O/U's.
I did do the old put the butt in the crook of your arm and see where the trigger falls and its perfect my trigger finger is even with back trigger.
Old December 12, 2013, 01:38 PM   #43
BigD_in_FL

Butt in the elbow doesn't mean diddly. What matters is taking your gun and the loads you intend to shoot to a pattern board and see where your POI/POA are. I will bet they aren't even close enough for shotgun pellets to be effective
Old December 12, 2013, 02:25 PM   #44
TomADC

I've shot this off and on when our shotgun club was still open, unfortunately it was on property that was on MCAS Miramar when the marines took the naval air station over and they shut us down.
But I digress I shoot it in the 20's at trap from the 16 yard line, was passed down to me about 50 years ago, it shoots my 1oz AA reloads just fine, but it still kicks more then my O/U skeet guns with the same shells.
Just changed the recoil pad which gave up from age.
Old December 12, 2013, 03:42 PM   #45
BigD_in_FL

Again, kick, (perceived) is a matter of gun fit, plain and simple. If you compare the stock dimensions to your O/Us that do not kick, I will bet you find some differences - they may not be huge in numbers, but they do not have to be to have a dramatically different effect. Very similar situation with Browning versus Beretta O/Us - both are excellent guns but their stock dimensions are different enough that if one fits you really well, odds are the other will not - I suspect a similar situation here
Old December 12, 2013, 05:05 PM   #46
zippy13

Tom, I'm a Miramar orphan, too. (Sure glad I paid for a life membership ) The last time I shot trap and Skeet was as a guest of BigJimP at his club. in the Pacific Northwest, several years ago.
Old December 12, 2013, 05:55 PM   #47
TomADC

Zippy, I haven't shot a shotgun since they closed, I was year to year but for many years and I shot there when I was on active duty, when it was on the other side of the runway. Friend of mine and I made many a week day trip there. I'm not a big trap fan, I prefer skeet and may be 5 stand, not much of that going on close by.
I paid for a couple of more years until it was obvious we weren't going to win.
Old December 12, 2013, 06:36 PM   #48
zippy13

Quote:
I shot there when I was on active duty, when it was on the other side of the runway.
Ditto -- that was some years ago. Did you ever shoot Skeet at NAS North Island or Camp Pendleton?
Old December 12, 2013, 07:17 PM   #49
TomADC

Yes lot of skeet at North Island I even put a few rounds down range on the pistol/rifle range. I've never shot at Camp Pendleton, have hunted quail there.
Old December 12, 2013, 10:39 PM   #50
Boomer58cal

I prefer the classic SxS, but I've always wanted a "Gator" 4 barrel O/U/SXS. Then you get the best of both worlds.

Something like this --> http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_abaJ0xbRju...-Shotgun-1.jpg

Or this-->http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_abaJ0xbRju...-Shotgun-2.jpg

Or even this-->http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FfkgwPNm3u...relShotgun.jpg

Boomer