The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 28, 2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Shoes

Shimming a scope???

I have a new Marlin 795 auto-loader. I mounted an inexpesive Bushnell (3X9X30) scope I got from Optics planet. I'm trying to sight the thing in and I think I have the elcevation screw almost max'ed at the top and still need about 3" up at 50yds.

QUESTION: Can I shim the front ring with a shim cut from a soda can?

Your thoughts on how to do this would be a big help.

TIA, Shoes
Old May 28, 2010, 09:00 PM   #2
uncyboo

The problem with shimming one ring is that it results in the bottom of the rings no longer being on the same level. Your surface area when you lock the top of the ring down will be reduced to one edge of both rings. It may be slight, but it will be there. You couold put the scope tube in a bind.

One thing you may try is to turn the scope sideways and see if you have more windage adjustment than elevation. Probabaly not on a better scope but with the inexpensive models you never know.

BTW, if you need more elevation, I think you would want to lower the front of the scope, not raise it.
Old May 28, 2010, 09:05 PM   #3
kraigwy

Forget the soda can. Get shims made for shimming scopes, Brownell has then and they are pretty reasonable cost wise.

Also if you buy the kit, Brownell sends directions on using the shims, telling you how much you need to move the impact you desire.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 28, 2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Psst.
Shim the REAR mount. Same as adjusting iron sights, move the rear in the direction you want to correct.
Old May 28, 2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Shoes

Jim, Thanks for the corection. I'm new to shooting and reley on reading all the insightful info posted her.

Infact, thanks to all who responded. Your help will no doubt save me a ton of money in the long run.

Shoes
Old May 29, 2010, 10:20 AM   #6
T.A.Sharps

I'm not sure how much of a pain in the ace it is to shim scope rings, but you can get scope bases that are canted up to give extra elevation.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:17 PM   #7
James R. Burke

I believe I would try what the Capt suggested.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Shoes

It turns out I am not pleased with the eye relief as it is mounted. I think I'll take it off and start over getting the e.r. the way I like it. I'll then try to sight it in again and see what happens. I'm not sure it will help with the original problem, but what the heck. We'll see.

Thanks guys, Ken