The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 31, 2010, 02:48 PM   #26
gc70

Quote:
I believe that the 5.5 lb pull weight had more to due with reliability than law suits.
You may need to explain how a certain trigger pull weight causes a gun to be more or less reliable.
Old May 31, 2010, 03:10 PM   #27
threegun

Sorry my fault for not clarifying my thoughts. Reliable ignition of the primer. Less pop and she may not detonate reliably. Especially if a dirty gun is combined with reloads or hard primers like cci.
Old May 31, 2010, 03:24 PM   #28
AK103K

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with a Glock. That same long pull protects you (the civilian) from A/D's under stress. And that same simplicity helps you in the stress of a gunfight.

But... The long trigger pull is not there to aid the shooter, it's there to prevent A/D's. It's a lawyer trigger.
Theres really no difference between the long trigger and the short trigger, both just take a little training and practice to know how to deal with them.

Its not the guns fault if you cant shoot the trigger, regardless what it is. The fact that you cant (barring a "poor" trigger of any type), only proves youre lacking, not the gun.
Old May 31, 2010, 03:24 PM   #29
threegun

Quote:
Simply because it IS much shorter. You're confusing single action pull with double action pull and since you aren't familiar with those very basic facts, you probably shouldn't be trying to debate the point.
No I am not confusing SA with DA. You said......
Quote:
It's not the weight, it's the length of pull.The Glock was marketed to police agencies from the beginning with the selling point that the long miserable trigger pull would mean less accidental shootings of suspects held at gunpoint.
I said to you that the SINGLE ACTION TRIGGER PULLS on many of the guns used by LE pre Glock are LONGER than the Glocks. Re read what I just said please.

Quote:
Lemme 'splain... Before cops went to the Glock, they were using a variety of wonder 9's and revolvers. All of those had a stout double action first shot that was quite safe, even when under stress. However, many cops would cock their piece in a fight so they didn't have to deal with that. And many times, they would discharge rounds and be left with a cocked piece.
So the answer was to give them a gun that had a shorter trigger stroke than their DA and also shorter than their SA? Does this even make sense?
Old May 31, 2010, 04:21 PM   #30
kodiakbeer

Quote:
So the answer was to give them a gun that had a shorter trigger stroke than their DA and also shorter than their SA? Does this even make sense?
You've obviously never shot a single action trigger.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:35 PM   #31
kodiakbeer

Quote:
Theres really no difference between the long trigger and the short trigger, both just take a little training and practice to know how to deal with them.
True. The point is about a stressed, adrenaline overloaded cop holding a suspect at gun point and then shooting him. It doesn't matter if the shooting was intentional (the guy went for the gun, etc) or accidental. What mattered was that in court, a lawyer could argue that a cocked revolver or cocked DA/SA pistol had a "hair trigger" and thus the cop accidentally shot the suspect - and that argument was often successful and cost police agencies millions of dollars. Those lawsuits (and there were a lot of them), had police agencies looking at DAO pistols.

Glock's solution was better - a pistol with the long pull of a DAO, but without the weight of a DAO. It was the perfect solution/compromise, and the rest is history.

"Good trigger" is a pretty nebulous term depending on the circumstances. Glocks are excellent pistols for self defense, and for police use, but "good trigger" (at least for me), doesn't fit.
Old May 31, 2010, 05:10 PM   #32
threegun

removed and pm'ed

Last edited by threegun; May 31, 2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old May 31, 2010, 05:19 PM   #33
threegun

you are correct removed and sent pm
Old May 31, 2010, 05:21 PM   #34
Warchild

Seriously, threegun and kodiak, take that crap to PM or start another thread about it and quit jacking this one, please, unless it relates to 3.5# connectors and how to get a better overall trigger.

To the Super-Dave, I installed a Ghost Inc. 3.5 Ultimate kit in my Glock 19 and absolutely love it. It was a drop-in kit that included the connector and either a 4lb or 6lb firing pin spring depending on whether it is for CCW or not, and a trigger spring. I also installed a Lightning Strike titanium safety plunger to smooth it out just that much more. All in all is was about $50 and it feels like a true 3-3.5# pull, with no noticeable creep and zero perceivable over travel. I use it for range and CCW and highly suggest Ghost Inc. and Lightning Strike, two high quality companies with great reputations. Best part, if you don't like it, it was drop in to begin with and you can simply swap back out to factory.

Last edited by Warchild; May 31, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 31, 2010, 05:23 PM   #35
kodiakbeer

No single action trigger pull on a standard DA/SA (or revolver) is longer than the Glock. Some of the DA/SA autos have a slight amount of slack or take-up in SA mode, but the trigger pull is relatively crisp. Revolvers (good revolvers) generally have almost a "breaking glass" pull even with the stock factory trigger.

You may prefer the Glock trigger, but to argue that it is shorter or crisper than SA trigger isn't even worth debating
Old May 31, 2010, 05:25 PM   #36
kodiakbeer

Quote:
For the last time Glocks trigger only moves to the rear 5/16ths of an inch to fire. The DA pull of the S&W 1066 I'm holding in my hand is slightly over an inch.
And?????
Old June 1, 2010, 07:45 AM   #37
tenusdad

Get the New York trigger - the good thing about a Glock is that it's easy to shoot - the bad thing about a Glock is it's easy to shoot. Watch your toes!
Old June 1, 2010, 09:12 AM   #38
beltjones

I've tried virtually every stock and aftermarket trigger upgrade that costs less than $30. My general rule for Glock triggers is that the entire safety mechanism of the gun is contained within - or related to - the pull of the trigger, so I refuse to do anything to compromise that safety.

So, for me, I won't go with a titanium striker, reduced power striker spring, titanium FPS, reduced power FPS spring, etc.

I've tried the following connectors: Glock OEM 5 lb, Glock OEM 3.5 lb, Scherer 3.5, LWD 3.5, the Ghost tactical, ranger, patrol, and rocket. I've tried extra power striker springs, extra power trigger springs, I've done the .25 trigger job, etc.

What I'm currently running is the stock Glock 5 lb connector with an extra power Wolff trigger spring.

The 3.5 lb triggers are all too spongy, and actually the Ghost Ranger, which is supposed to be 4.5 lbs, was the spongiest that I've felt. I prefer a crisp let off, even if it's a bit heavier. The reason being is that I prep the trigger for each shot by taking the slack out, then "bumping" it to the rear. The extra power trigger spring is great because it makes the initial takeup much lighter. I don't like a surprise break - I like to know when I'm at the point that the next incremental bit of pressure on the trigger is going to make the gun fire - so I don't like the NY trigger springs.

I actually did a lot of experimenting and took a lot of trigger pull guage measurements as I was experimenting with triggers for my Glocks. You can see the writeup at my blog: www.amateurpistolero.blogspot.com
Old August 12, 2014, 10:23 PM   #39
ecglyver

I love the Drop-In Pyramid Trigger from Glockstore personally - the Ultimate Kit has everything you need and comes in more stock colors than any other kit. I've tried drop-in Fulcrum trigger from Zev but its not quite as crisp.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:36 PM   #40
subhuman

I had the full Ghost Rocket trigger kit put in my G23 and the armorer tuned it some while doing the install, thats about the best trigger I have felt on a Glock
Old August 12, 2014, 11:02 PM   #41
dayman

I still like the OEM "-" connector, and NY1 trigger spring.
It's a "glock approved" set up, still completely OEM, and creates something akin to a 2-stage trigger.

For me it's just about the perfect workhorse trigger. It's heavy enough to prevent unintentional discharges, but not so heavy that you have to jerk the gun to pull through it. It's also pretty easy to stage the trigger when you have cause to "slow fire" it.

The only non OEM internal part I have is an Apex safety plunger that smoothed out the trigger nicely.
- I also prefer the Vicker's/TangoDown mag and slide releases, but that doesn't have much to do with the trigger.

It's still not the lightest or the crispest trigger I've used, but IMHO it's quite good.
Admittedly, I'm not sure how much of the improvement was parts, and how much of it were the 1000's of rounds I've put through it as it evolved.
However, either way, it does everything I ask of it quite well.

Shooting a glock can be a little bit like driving a broken-in stick-shift.
It might take a while to find the sweet spots, but then you get used to the idiosyncrasies, and on short order you stop noticing them altogether.
Old August 13, 2014, 01:05 AM   #42
mellow_c

I have chosen to go the zev tech route. I bought one of the full kits that includes the trigger, ejector and parts, springs, plunger, connector, firing pin, blah blah blah. I have not installed it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

You can buy the real deal on eBay for about $215 or even a few dollars less.

I've heard so many good things about them that I figured I'd give it a try. And if you don't want the trigger pull to be too light you can leave in any combination of the stock springs. Just go to their web site and read about them.

Good luck!
Old August 13, 2014, 01:19 AM   #43
N R A

How are you going to be using your Glock? You should invest in training over aftermarket parts that make your gun potentially unsafe.

GSSF will get you the ability to sign up for a Glock Armorers Class. NRA instructor certification would also. Shooting classes are also something one should take.

I discovered something from the NRA museum that makes a stock Glock shoot like heaven.

Last edited by N R A; August 13, 2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old August 13, 2014, 01:32 AM   #44
gyvel

Quote:
What is the best trigger job I can get on a glock?
You can obtain the best trigger by replacing the Glock with a good 1911.
Old August 13, 2014, 01:45 AM   #45
N R A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyvel View Post
You can obtain the best trigger by replacing the Glock with a good 1911.
You tube I just f...... shot myself and watch how that 1911 guy loves his light trigger Kimber.
Old August 13, 2014, 02:38 AM   #46
gyvel

Quote:
You tube I just f...... shot myself and watch how that 1911 guy loves his light trigger Kimber.
I said a GOOD 1911, not a Kimber.
Old August 13, 2014, 04:24 AM   #47
skizzums

the "i just !@#$ing shot myself-the musical" is petty darn funny, good suggestion on the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGmTrQXrwg
Old August 13, 2014, 09:25 AM   #48
pilpens

Definition of good trigger on Glocks - some say smooth and light is good.
some say solid wall + glass break is good.

My G34 Gen4 has a solid wall + glass like break trigger. Trigger breaks lighter than out of box G17 Gen 4 but heavier than the out of box G34 (no guage but I guess 4-4.5 lbs). It has a Ghost 3.5 connector, 4.5 wolff striker spring, extra power trigger return spring, some polishing of the tirgger bar to help with weight and smoothness, and some trimming of the trigger bar/nose to make it crisp with shorter reset.

In the process - I messed up 1 trigger bar. So, with all the parts (springs, connectors, and 2 trigger bars) I think it is cheaper than sending it out to a professional gunsmith.

Note - Lower rate striker spring gave the most noticeable trigger feel change. 4lb striker spring produce light strikes. 4.5 striker spring has been reliable, so far (approx 700 rounds of reload with CCI primers + a few random factory ammo from winchester, CCI, and Federal).
Old August 13, 2014, 08:45 PM   #49
Constantine

Just did a review on the Pyramid trigger. That's my vote.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old August 14, 2014, 06:48 AM   #50
wheelyfun

Best Glock trigger job?

About 4,000 rounds of your favorite ammo!