The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 27, 2010, 11:19 PM   #1
awpk03s

Ruger Blackhawk POA/POI...

I took my Bisley Blackhawk (45LC) out tonight to shoot it for the first time. I shot at 25 yards. I shot probably 24 rounds of 250 gr light reloads that were basically on-target, but scattered somewhat.

I then shot 24 rounds of DoubleTap 255gr SWC +P rounds. Wow, these things really pack a wallop! But I was surprised to see them hit about 4-6 inches low (although grouping rather nicely) of my point of aim.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I adjust my sights? Are the DT rounds low because they're such higher velocity?

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2010, 11:42 PM   #2
vladan

Yes, it is because the DT rounds are high velocity. Your sights are fine, factory sight the gun with most common loading for the particular caliber, you will have to find out what load it is or work in your gun.

The muzzle start rising when bullet moves down the barrel that is why with handguns the slower and heavier projectile impacts higher then light, faster projectile. The longer barrel, the more pronounced this effect is. In your case the bullets are about the same weight but the DT loads are faster so bullet exit barrel sooner