The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

View Poll Results: which scope?
redfield 26 38.81%
nikon prostaff 41 61.19%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23, 2010, 02:32 AM   #1
alaskaman94

scope. Redfield vs. nikon vs. vortex (*edited)

ok im looking at a 3-9x40 which would you choose a nikon prostaff, vortex dimond back, or redfield? its going on a savage 300wm for moose and carbou hunting. please dont suggest more expencive scopes those are my choices. thanks. if you vote vortex put it on your post!

Last edited by alaskaman94; May 23, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:03 AM   #2
DiscoRacing

I just got one of the redfield last week.... they are very clear and bright...looks like they have it goin on again.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:24 AM   #3
NooYawkuh

You probably can't go wrong with either one but I've just been a Nikon user my whole life - cameras, binoculars, scopes, etc. It seems they just don't compromise their optics, even in their lower end product lines (like Prostaff). Every Nikon product I've ever had was surprisingly better than I thought it would be before I bought it. They're a little pricey but you get a lot of value.

I've never owned a Redfield and the only true way to evaluate is simply to sight through two comparable scopes at a range. Don't get too hung up on specs.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:26 AM   #4
moosemike

I'm really excited about the new Redfields and I think they're the answer to the question. You can't beat Leupold's warranty and you can't beat the price. Redfield for sure.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:52 AM   #5
TX Hunter

I would go with the Redfield, They are made by Leupold now.
If you break a Leupold Product or it fails, You send it back, they make it good.
With a Nikon, You break it, you buy it again.
Old May 23, 2010, 09:13 AM   #6
dzavoina

TX Hunter wrote:
With a Nikon, You break it, you buy it again.

Not true. My Nikon came with a full lifetime warranty.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:51 AM   #7
loverme85

the Nikon prostaff is overrated. I know its only 160 bucks but, I feel there are better ways to spend your money. I know the Leupold rifleman is a better scope, and I'm sure the Redfield is too.
Old May 23, 2010, 12:20 PM   #8
viking499

Find a Nikon Team Primos. That is the best Nikon buy right now. Just got one for $200 otd.
Old May 23, 2010, 12:24 PM   #9
TXGunNut

My next scope will likely be one of the new Redfields. I wish I could put premium Leupolds on all my rifles but I'm not going to. Nothing against Nikons, just feel Leupold will make a better scope in this price range. I hope I'm right, OP, for your sake and mine. I'll be ordering a new rifle soon and it's going to be wearing a new Redfield. If you choose it, let me know what you think.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 23, 2010, 01:35 PM   #10
srkavanagh6621

I have never looked through a redfield but i have a Nikon monarch but my brother and cousin have prostaffs and tall the scopes are excellent! i would say for the value you cant go wrong with the nikon. very crisp and clear! i have heard good things about both scopes and im sure you cant go wrong.
Old May 23, 2010, 01:48 PM   #11
Norrick

this compares a few similar scopes, including the two you mentioned, it may be worth a read.

I just ordered a vortex diamondback, we'll see how it goes.

http://www.opticsthoughts.com/index....views&Itemid=4
Old May 23, 2010, 04:11 PM   #12
Bamashooter

nikon will weasel thier way out of fixing thier scopes if something happens so i would steer clear of nikon. thats been my experience with them.
Old May 23, 2010, 04:27 PM   #13
handlerer2

Both scopes mentioned likely share the same glass, Leupold scopes scopes now have all their glass made by an unnamed supplier, the same supplier as Nikon. I have 2 Nikon Monarchs on both Weatherby's and am as pleased as I have been with others, Weaver, Leupold, Burris. The glass is clear, settings are repeatable, and they have held up to powerful recoil w/o incident. I wonder who really makes the Redfield? I have a suspicion that they are made overseas, not that that really matters anymore, Leupold could have them made to thier specs and then put what ever label they like on them. Both scopes have lifetime warrantees, so look for desired features and get that one. I can't comment on the new Redfeilds, but have nothing but praise for any Nikon optics, I own Nikon spotting scope, rangefinder, 2 scopes, and a camera and none have ever had a problem.
Old May 23, 2010, 05:49 PM   #14
TriumphGuy

"Made in the USA" vs "Made in Japan" or maybe "Made in the Phillipines" (not sure where Nikons come from).

It's not like the price point is that much different.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:38 PM   #15
WagonM

I just sighted in the Redfield 3-9x today.. it has the Accu-range retical and I like it very much.

I never have owned a Nikon scope, but I have used Burris FFII (2-7x) - Philippines, a Millett DMS-1 (China), Redfield is my 3rd scope... and I like it the best... bright, light, $150 to my door, Leupold warranty, what not to like....

MOST importantly, it is made/assembled in the good old USA... BRING THE JOB HOME!
Old May 24, 2010, 12:16 AM   #16
Head-Space

Quote:
I'm really excited about the new Redfields and I think they're the answer to the question. You can't beat Leupold's warranty and you can't beat the price. Redfield for sure.
Quote:
I just sighted in the Redfield 3-9x today.. it has the Accu-range retical and I like it very much.

I never have owned a Nikon scope, but I have used Burris FFII (2-7x) - Philippines, a Millett DMS-1 (China), Redfield is my 3rd scope... and I like it the best... bright, light, $150 to my door, Leupold warranty, what not to like....

MOST importantly, it is made/assembled in the good old USA... BRING THE JOB HOME!
What they said --

Leupold will repair or replace your scope if you win it in a poker game or find it while plowing up the pasture. No questions asked.
Old May 24, 2010, 02:54 PM   #17
thinkingman

Same ol' same ol'.....

Your money?...Leupold/Redfield.
My money?....Nikon or Burris.

Enjoy your scope.
Old May 24, 2010, 03:04 PM   #18
Tomas

I bought my son a Prostaff for his Savage 110LH and I'm still kind of miffed about it. Seems I got duped into the "spend as much as you can afford on a scope" argument, and ended up buying a Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5x10x50 for my Weatherby .308. It's a great scope, but, only when the light fades can I actually tell the difference between the two. I should've just bought two Prostaffs. Don't get me wrong, I love my expensive scope, but, for my purposes, it's superfluous.

Buy the scope on ebay, and you'll save even more. I bought my son's for $140 new, and it's the 50mm objective, and camo. gotta love ebay...
Old May 24, 2010, 03:40 PM   #19
slowr1der

I'd go for the Vortex Diamond Back. I think Nikon is a great choice too only I'd upgrade to a Team Primos over the Prostaff.
Old May 24, 2010, 03:48 PM   #20
TMUSCLE1

I have a Nikon Prostaff and I love it...very clear and I can see when the light fades.

Granted, I'm actually hearing great reviews from the new Redfields. Seems like they are a great scope for the price point.

Can anyone tell me if they only have a model or two for the new Redfields or do they have a whole line of them out now like Leupold, Nikon, and other brands?
Old May 25, 2010, 02:40 PM   #21
Poodleshooter

Redfield is basically focusing on the 3-9x40, 3-9x50s and 4-12x40s and other basic big game/ versatility type scopes.

The only negatives I've heard were from SWFA's forum,about the Redfields experiencing reticle shift during power changes.
That said,it's got the Leupold warranty,which is great.

I'm a Nikon fan,but the ProStaff is a bit dated and has a lower light transmission than the other scopes listed here. The adjustments may not be finger adjustable either (can't remember offhand).

I handled the lower end Vortex Crossfire the other day. It had incredible glass-no chromatic aberrations, clear edge to edge, very bright,etc. Adjustments seemed to be good (cavat-only saw their effect at 50yds).
It also had a finger adjustable focus ring. The Prostaff and Redfield are a PITA to adjust,IIRC.
If the Diamondback is better than the Crossfire I handled,as stands to reason, then I would heartily recommend it over the Redfield or the ProStaff.

So my recommendations
Diamondback
Redfield
ProStaff
Old May 25, 2010, 05:07 PM   #22
LanceOregon

A much better choice would be a nice Nikon Monarch 2-10x Much superior to the cheaper Nikons. You will notice the difference.

And you can find them at reasonable prices if you shop around a bit. Budsgunshop.com has them in stock for only $293, which is the best deal that I know of.

Is that out of your price range? If you plan to hunt much with this rifle, it deserves a good scope on it.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/47627

Old May 25, 2010, 05:25 PM   #23
Lloyd Smale

ive got two pro staffs. Boutht the second before i really tested the first. Low light perfomance is pretty crappy. I think id have to give the redfield a try in that price range.
Old May 25, 2010, 05:52 PM   #24
Radar

I like the Nikons on my Marlins...

I have a ProStaff 3-9X40 on my 39A, and a BuckMasters 3-9X40 on my 1894SS.
The glass is great on both, return to zero at range changes is also very repeatable.
The big difference is the finger adjustable features on the BuckMasters.
I wish they offered these with a Mil Dot reticle though.
I haven't looked at the Redfield's, but have read good things about them.
Old May 25, 2010, 06:01 PM   #25
Radar

double