The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 10, 2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Winchester_73

Colt lawman MKIII snubnose value

I have a chance to acquire a colt lawman MKIII blue snub 357 mag. The gun is 99% overall and in the box. The gun comes with a holster and speed loaders. What do these retail for? I understand that they're hard to find in a snub nose but I also read that MKIII lawmen are plentiful compared to the MKV versions.
I am hoping someone here bought one recently or at least saw one for sale? I know what the books say, I want some real world prices. I saw one on the broker with an ask of $900 which didn't sell. Here's a pic of the gun
Old May 10, 2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Huskerguy

I have no idea

of the value of this beauty but I would love to have it in my collection. I have a MK III in 6" and I love the gun. this would be a sweet addition. Good luck on this one.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:08 AM   #3
SVO

There is or was a Mk III snub nose locally for sale for $650.00. Included the box and paperwork. Assumed it MIGHT be a late model gun due to being in the Colt blue plastic box but not positive on that point. Also for sale at the same place was a Detective Special for $595, again with the box and papers. Box again was a blue plastic jobbie do. Third Colt snubbie for sale was a Colt Agent for $400 without box or papers. Trooper & DS were nice looking guns, clean with good blue finishes. the agent was a bit rougher cosmetically but seemed to be in good mechanical condition. Haven't seen any Trooper Mk V for sale (is there such a thing as a Mark IV model?) Now if I could just remember where I saw the Colt 357 Magnum model (Pre Python model) for sale.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Winchester_73

Quote:
Trooper & DS were nice looking guns, clean with good blue finishes. the agent was a bit rougher cosmetically but seemed to be in good mechanical condition. Haven't seen any Trooper Mk V for sale (is there such a thing as a Mark IV model?) Now if I could just remember where I saw the Colt 357 Magnum model (Pre Python model) for sale.
The gun I am asking about is a lawman, not a trooper (lawman has fixed sights, trooper has adjustable). There were no MKIVs. It went from III, to V to king cobra from what I understand.
Old May 11, 2010, 02:03 AM   #5
steveracer

I sold one last year for $565

With Jim Badger grips on it.
I still see them from time to time for under $600. I would not pay $900 for a Lawman, when you could jsut save $200 more and get a Python.
If I were in the market now for a Colt snubby, and saw the Lawman for $600, I'd buy it on the spot. Ten dollars more, and I'd walk.
Old May 11, 2010, 07:38 AM   #6
sarge83

I bought one last fall, exact gun although not as spiffy for $399 OTD.
Old May 11, 2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Jeff #111

I picked up a late production (1979/80) Mk III Lawman snubbie about six weeks ago. The one you are interested in and mine look to be in the same condition. I did some trading for it, but the price tag was $500.00. Here is a link to the post.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403135
Old May 11, 2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Winchester_73

Well from this thread, I take it that $523 is no great deal for such a gun? I can get the pictured gun, in the box with holster and D frame speedloaders for $523 OTD. I am interested in it for investment potential but I prefer guns which are borderline steals out the gate in case I have to sell quickly to buy something else or for some other ungodly reason.

So $523 OTD, yay or nay? What say you?
Old May 11, 2010, 02:57 PM   #9
Erich

I think that sounds reasonable . . . not a bargain, but reasonable. Classic revolvers are getting more expensive. That's not an especially exciting revolver from a user's standpoint, but the condition, Colt name and snub aspect combine to make that a gun that will turn a lot of heads. I myself have wanted one like that since reading a Dean Grennell article about his back in the early '80s.

Quote:
and D frame speedloaders
I would hope that it does not have D-frame speedloaders, however, as that is Colt's J-frame.

http://www.coltrevolvers.net/frames.html
Old May 11, 2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Winchester_73

Quote:
Quote:
and D frame speedloaders

I would hope that it does not have D-frame speedloaders, however, as that is Colt's J-frame.
Thank you for setting the record straight. I had read that it was colts J frame but I attributed that to S&W/colt confusion. You learn something new everyday as they say and I never knew of the colt J frame until now.
Old May 11, 2010, 07:08 PM   #11
WVleo

got this one last year for $495 + sales tax . No box but mint ( sock drawer gun ) ! Great handgun but to heavy for Me to carry. WVleo
Old May 11, 2010, 10:05 PM   #12
Jeff #111

Winchester_73
Quote:
Well from this thread, I take it that $523 is no great deal for such a gun? I can get the pictured gun, in the box with holster and D frame speedloaders for $523 OTD. I am interested in it for investment potential but I prefer guns which are borderline steals out the gate in case I have to sell quickly to buy something else or for some other ungodly reason.

So $523 OTD, yay or nay? What say you?
I say $523.00 is a fair price. I know there is usually a few people who will tell you how they got their specimen for $300.00, but those guys shop somewhere far removed from my neck of the woods. Colt revolvers in general have risen dramatically in value over the past decade. Colt isn't making DA revolvers anymore and they are starting to dwindle on the second hand market. So after all that I say Yay. Let us know what you decide.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:14 AM   #13
Chesster

523 OTD for what you described sounds reasonable.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old May 12, 2010, 08:00 AM   #14
Charger Fan

I agree with the general consensus, the price sounds fair to me. It may not be a "steal", but sounds like a decent current market price. I paid $450 two years ago for my excellent condition MK III, just the gun only.
I would think that if you sold it in a year or two, you'd have no trouble at least breaking even.
Old May 12, 2010, 06:42 PM   #15
Deaf Smith

Long time ago I had one of them and a Colt Agent. Used the Agent to keep a burglar at bay for the cops one time.

Pitty I traded them off. The 2 inch Lawman, while a bit heavy, was a super good revolver. I don't think they made it in stainless but I sure wish they had!
Old July 1, 2010, 11:45 PM   #16
gopack

Just came across a Lawman MKIII in the dull nickel (E. Nickel) finish. I'm not sure why I think I need another .357/.38 revolver, but $300 seemed like a fair price. Waiting for the smith check out.
Old July 2, 2010, 12:16 AM   #17
5.56RifleGuy

90% book on it is 450, so with the extra stuff and being 99 that seems about right.