The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 2, 2010, 05:30 PM   #1
roge

New Kahr CW .45 painful recoil

I wanted to buy a Kahr PM.45 because of lightweight,small frame and thin profile. However, because of a $300 price difference, I oppted for a slightly larger, heavier CW 45. The recoil on CW is painful. At end of 50 rnds, my hand was hurting. I didnt like it and probably won't keep it. Makes me wonder,if I had gotten the PM45, the recoil would have been much more painful. I own a Kahr MK40, MK9 and P380. No recoil pain with those. I love Kahrs, but disappointed with CW.45. recoil. Had heard 40 were snappier
Old May 2, 2010, 05:38 PM   #2
varoadking

Odd - is it the recoil or the aggressive checkering? I have a PM9, P9, MK9, PM45 and P45, and use a Hogue or Pachmyer grip sleeve, depending on which fits better, on all 4 of the polymer frames.

I don't find recoil to be an issue with any of these pieces...
Old May 2, 2010, 05:48 PM   #3
PSP

I agree, try it with a grip sleeve. I thought it made a big difference. I used the Hogue Handall Jr.
Old May 2, 2010, 07:24 PM   #4
richiep

I dont mean this in a bad way but....

you have to look at its intended design. The CW 45 is a CCW gun hence the name CW 45. Its not the guns fault... If you wanted a range gun you should have gotten something else. A .40 would be more snappy though.
Old May 2, 2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Sgt Pepper

I'd like to say "you gotta be kidding" but I know that everything about guns is subjective. However, I must say that my Kahr P45 is noticeably softer shooting than my all steel Colt Officer's ACP, which is as heavy and solid as it gets in that size range, neither of which even remotely approach the painful category for me. The CW45 is essentially the same gun as the CW45. I suppose that now you know that you are recoil sensitive and should seek out some really mild-hitting handguns. Avoid snubby revolvers whatever you do.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:05 PM   #6
varoadking

Quote:
The CW45 is essentially the same gun as the CW45.
I'd say "exactly" the same...
Old May 2, 2010, 08:26 PM   #7
richiep

I know you can get aftermarket recoil springs. Try to find a heavier one for your khar. It would soften the recoil. A .45 does not really kick that bad though.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:32 PM   #8
orionengnr

I have the P45, which is the same as the CW45. I can put 100 rounds downrange at a range session with no problems.

I am 53 years old, 5"9", 145 lbs with arthritis and a number of other physical shortcomings.

I do not find the P45 to be at all unpleasant to shoot.

JMHO.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:38 PM   #9
JoeBob

I have a friend with a CW45 and even has smaller than average hands and hasn't complained a bit about the recoil, just remarks at its small size and accuracy. He almost had me convinced to buy one to replace the duty of my Keltec P11

Is it just the checkering? Gripping too hard maybe? If you've shot a 40 then the recoil "snap" of a 45 shouldn't bother you at all...
Old May 2, 2010, 09:43 PM   #10
Elkins45

I traded mine for a 44 magnum because I wanted something with less recoil. That's a true story.

The combination of the checkering and light weight make it just brutal for my small hands. The only gun I own that punishes me more is my scandium J frame 357.
Old May 2, 2010, 10:19 PM   #11
B18C5-EH2

Having shot the PM40 and a P45 back to back the P45 had more felt recoil, but by no means was it unpleasant to shoot. The true shocker to me was that the tiny PM40 presented little more felt recoil above and beyond the PM9 I own and was shooting too.

Felt recoil is 100% subjective. It's really hard to discuss on forums IMO. I have seen people call certain pistols "painful" to shoot only for me to find that it was not at all unpleasant for me to shoot.

To the original poster:

I'd love to take the CW45 off of your hands. Would you like cash or a trade for a nice Glock 39 with night sights?
Old May 2, 2010, 10:20 PM   #12
BerettaBuckeye

I have no issue shooting my PM45. I don't go shoot it 100+ at a time or anything ( that's what 1911's are for ) but since it's my carry gun I do shoot at least a few mags through it monthly. Maybe a box of 50 or so once in a while. I will say that the plastic "checkering" is a little rough on the hands when new though. I solve that with a small sleeve cut from a bike tube, cheaper and thinner than any of the ready made grip sleeves. To each his ( or her ) own I guess but I wouldn't give up on it without giving it at least a few trips to get used to it. Also you will notice that 185's have less felt recoil than 230's. I noticed that when practing with my 185 Silvertip carry load, I'm not sure what's available in 185gr range ammo though
- Jeff Cooper
Old May 2, 2010, 10:42 PM   #13
bdb benzino

I own a CW9 and CW45 and love them both, the 9mm is just slightly easier to conceal. The 45 is a little stiff on recoil but not unpleasent for me. Although I agree, recoil is very much subjective.
If you can not solve the issue with a grip sleeve, then I think that it is the 45acp caliber that might not be right for you, not the pistol itself. I also agree that in that format, the 40s&w would be as snappy, if not more! Good luck!!
Old May 3, 2010, 05:58 PM   #14
varoadking

Quote:
I traded mine for a 44 magnum because I wanted something with less recoil. That's a true story.
Indeed...and imagine how surprised you were that it wasn't what you expected...
Old May 3, 2010, 06:28 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

If you are in Ohio i too wouldn't mind taking that CW45 off your hands, on the plus side it will hold its value.

It is a CW series, and i would not expect to shoot any CCW gun 100 times in one sitting with comfort. Some you can and that is great, but I wouldn't expect it.
Old May 3, 2010, 06:49 PM   #16
Hoss Fly

If it hurts you when you shoot it you are going to "flinch" when you shoot it -
You're NOT going to hit what you need too-----
Get rid of it & get a gun you can shoot-----------------

My first response was going to be-
PUT YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES ON & DEAL WITH IT
Old May 3, 2010, 08:24 PM   #17
glockman69

I to have a pm9 and it does bang you up, but for concealment I find it great. If I wanna shoot more I will break out the glocks.
Old May 3, 2010, 09:01 PM   #18
chris in va

I was all over the idea of getting a CW45 until I rented one at the range recently. Not terribly pleasant to shoot, and I like to shoot everything a lot.
Old May 4, 2010, 08:51 AM   #19
roge

CW painfull recoi

The checkering is very rough and sharp, but the pain caused by recoil is not much because of the checkering, thogh it bothers somewhat. The pain is caused to my thumb on second upper joint that contacts curved top of grip. It left a bruise with broken skin after only shooting 50 rnds. I have shot my MK40 up to 300 rnds at a time with no pain problems. Also have shot XD 40 subcompact with no pain after 300 rnds. I have small hands, my son are bigger, but after shooting 100 rnds wth XD, he's hurting.
Old May 4, 2010, 08:59 AM   #20
Elkins45

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed...and imagine how surprised you were that it wasn't what you expected...
Well...perceived recoil, to be accurate. A scandium 329 S&W with 240 grain, 1200fps loads is WAY more comfortable for me to shoot than the P45.

Yes, mathematically there is more recoil energy with the 44 magnum, but the practical effect on my hand is that it hurts less than the P 45. The checkering was bad, but what really killed the deal for me was how the recoil torqued my trigger finger.
Old May 16, 2010, 08:36 AM   #21
BerettaBuckeye

This thread has stuck in my mind all this time so last night at the range I asked my son if he wanted to shoot my PM45. Now this is a 13 year old, 100 pound defensive back not some "big boy" and probably the smallest or at least lightest .45 out there. I even warned him to "really hold onto it" and guess what? He loved it and ended up putting 35 rounds of 230 grain rounds through it. Would have been more but he shot up the last of the .45 ammo I had with me. He did ok with it too, not great but not bad either. I guess recoil is subjective and all that but.....
- Jeff Cooper
Old May 16, 2010, 10:47 AM   #22
hdawson228

Don't confuse a true cocealment weapon with a range gun. It's designed and built for self defense. Not alot of prolonged range shooting.
Old May 16, 2010, 01:41 PM   #23
Shadi Khalil

I have shot a P45 and found it to be quite managable. The worst part of any P-series Kahr is the aggresive checkering. Even my CW9 gets a bit uncomforatable after a 100 rounds and even chews the web of my hand up a bit. I put a houge handall on in a found it helped allot at the range but that's not the guns intended use. I took it off because I think it's important to practice what you carry exactly how you carry it. I think you should give it another try. If you are accurate with it and the gun is reliable then its worth holding on to. Also, the resale value on a CW series makes it not worth getting rid of.
Old May 16, 2010, 03:02 PM   #24
varoadking

Quote:
A scandium 329 S&W with 240 grain, 1200fps loads is WAY more comfortable for me to shoot than the P45.
You are indeed a company of one then...or just a Kahr hater...one or the other...

I have a MagnaPorted stainless 5" Model 629, and that SOB is a punisher...

I can shoot a P45 or PM45 all day long. .44 Magnum - not so much...
Old May 16, 2010, 06:02 PM   #25
Gary L. Griffiths

You might try some 185-gr loads in your CW-45 before you ditch it. I had a PM-45, and the recoil with 230-gr +Ps was just slightly on the brutal side of harsh. With Taurus 185-gr hex bullet JHPs, though, it wasn't any worse than a 9mm.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own personal safety; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths, Chief Instructor, Advanced Force Tactics, Inc. (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)