The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2010, 12:02 PM   #1
gabrielvox

P345 vs P90 accuracy

I am getting one of these but was wondering if anything has been said about the p345 accuracy. I know the p90 has a reputation for being superb, and I don't have any problem with either gun really. Accuracy will probably be the tipping point for my purchase.
Old April 27, 2010, 12:54 PM   #2
rantingredneck

The P345 is also very accurate. I own one and have owned a P90 that was exceptional. I would say that in my experience they are very close, but I'd give a slight (SLIGHT MIND YOU) edge to the P90.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old April 27, 2010, 01:02 PM   #3
madmag

I own a P90. You are certainly right about the P90, it is about the most accurate semi I have ever shot. I do know people with the P345 and from what I can tell it is also very accurate. Never heard any big complaints on the P345 for accuracy.

Both are great pistols. I consider my P90 as the GP100 of the semi world. Built like a tank, hard to imagine anything hurting a Ruger P series pistol. I hope to add a P345 to my collection along with my P90.

I hope some P345 owners will comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantingredneck
I own one and have owned a P90 that was exceptional.
While I typed.
Old April 28, 2010, 06:27 AM   #4
fxdrider

I have a P345 and carry it daily. It is a very accurate gun, both with the factory ammo I've put through it and my reloads. It is also much lighter than my 1911, and so I am more at ease carrying it for longer periods. I've never owned a P90, but I do have a P89, which is of the same early P-series type frame - and THAT is a tank of a gun. Can't imagine what you'd have to do to hurt one. All I can say about the P90 is that I've heard folks rave about their accuracy - don't think I've ever heard a complaint.

So, in short - I guess there's no clear accuracy winner between the two. Pick the one you're most comfortable with, I guess.
Old April 28, 2010, 08:01 AM   #5
SW40F

Most guns are plenty accurate. Some guns seem more 'accurate' because the shooter can more consistently hold the aim point until it discharges.

The gun and the shooter are a team, and some guns are better teammates.
Old April 28, 2010, 08:03 AM   #6
Leejack

^^^
Excellent!

Lee
Old April 28, 2010, 08:20 AM   #7
gabrielvox

"Most guns are plenty accurate. Some guns seem more 'accurate' because the shooter can more consistently hold the aim point until it discharges.

The gun and the shooter are a team, and some guns are better teammates."

This is only somewhat true and actually nothing to do with what I asked. I respectfully ask that if you don't have anything to contribute to my direct question, don't contribute. Thank you.

So the p345 is showing no real difference over the p90? I find that surprising since they feel so much different, but it's a lot more comfortable in the grip, so that's reassuring.
Old April 28, 2010, 09:13 AM   #8
rantingredneck

There are differences, but you asked specifically about accuracy where the differences are minimal.

The P345 uses a recoil dampener on the guide rod that controls recoil better than the P90, even though the P90 is heavier. The P345 is also more ergonomically friendly and is a more natural pointer for me. It's also thinner and lighter which allows it to be carried for longer periods of time without burdening your belt.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old April 28, 2010, 01:07 PM   #9
madmag

P345 vs P90 accuracy

At the time I had my personal justifications for picking my P90 over the P345.

I was interested in a large frame durable .45ACP pistol. I already owned several Rugers, so I already had faith in the Ruger brand. In addition I did not like the magazine disconnect on the P345. Yes it can be disabled, but still I didn't want to modify the pistol. I also liked the slightly longer barrel on the P90.

The P90 has been a pleasant surprise on accuracy. It seems on some pistols I work a little to make sure I am holding correctly to hit the target, but with my P90 it just seems I point and hit without any effort.

Having said that, I am now looking to add a P345 to my collection when possible.....ok, when the wife let's me spend the money.
Old April 28, 2010, 06:02 PM   #10
SW40F

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielvox
I don't have any problem with either gun really. Accuracy will probably be the tipping point for my purchase.
Quote:
...This is only somewhat true and actually nothing to do with what I asked. I respectfully ask that if you don't have anything to contribute to my direct question, don't contribute. Thank you.
No offense taken.

What I meant to say is that about half of the folks will tell you the P90 is more accurate, and the rest will tell you the P345 is more accurate. I don't think anybody can really tell you what will be more accurate in your hand, and the difference may not really matter.

Good luck with your choice, either way...
Old April 28, 2010, 07:02 PM   #11
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Having owned, carried, and shot both:

As said above, both are plenty accurate. P345 is more carry friendly; and the ergos are great.

A while back I bought both a new P345 and a new Colt Commander. I took them both out for the first target session. Long story short, I sent the Colt back to the factory with the targets, essentially showing Colt how a .45 should print on target (the P345 as the proper example). Colt did right by me, and now my Commander works like a dream.

For carry, the P345. For "tank" gun, the P90. Can't lose either way.

Now, go figure...
Old April 28, 2010, 11:07 PM   #12
gabrielvox

Well it will be my "carry" gun, I work on ATM machines but also shoot competitively in the unmodified classes. So given what's been said I'm going to go with the P345, It seems like the ergos and weight will be a little nicer for work and accuracy seems to be comparable in every ones opinion.

I'll try to get some break-in/practice done in the next couple weeks and see how she shoots.
Old April 29, 2010, 09:17 AM   #13
madmag

Quote:
I'll try to get some break-in/practice done in the next couple weeks and see how she shoots.
The P345 is a good choice. My P90 was tight at first, then it smoothed out at about 300 rounds plus. Lots of good choices for .45ACP HP ammo. When I carry FMJ I usually use Fiocchi, American Eagle, or S&B. They are loaded hotter than normal FMJ stuff.

Good Luck