The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 24, 2010, 07:49 PM   #1
padrejay

Dan Wesson vs. Kimber vs. Ed Brown

On my seemingly never ending quest to find my perfect 1st 1911, I have been led all over the board. I have narrowed it down to these three models: The Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, the Kimber Super Carry Pro, and the Ed Brown Special Forces Carry. Yes, I know that there's a huge gap in pricing, so what I'm really trying to figure out is which one's the best value for the price. Right now I am leaning toward the Ed Brown. I know it's expensive, but....... Whadda ya think?
Old April 24, 2010, 08:03 PM   #2
ranburr

Ed Brown is the best of the three. For the money. you can't beat a DW. Kimber is too hit or miss for me.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:06 PM   #3
HisSoldier

If you like MIM parts buy the MIMber.
I have CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P-238's. Video on installation in Sig;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2v_-87DRM
Old April 24, 2010, 08:13 PM   #4
RT

If I was gonna drop some serious coin on a 1911 it would be an Ed Brown, Wilson, or Nighthawk Custom.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:31 PM   #5
ttheel

Ed Brown is the best but it takes some serious change to purchase one. You have to decide if it is worth putting that kind of $ into a handgun.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:40 PM   #6
Scoob956

I would get the Dan Wesson and be happy

The Ed Brown is definitely nice but twice the cost...
Old April 24, 2010, 08:52 PM   #7
rsxr22

ed brown is twice the cost, but you get a superior pistol. Some people cannot justify paying the difference and if you are that person, DW is a great choice. They make a great 1911 but the EB has much more attention to detail. Many people would not necessarily see the difference inbetween these guns, but if you would like to do it right and have the coin, go with the EB. You cant move up any higher in quality once you go there. They always say if you buy quality, you only cry once
Old April 24, 2010, 08:54 PM   #8
RockyMtnTactical

Ed Brown is the best.

DW is the best value.
Old April 24, 2010, 09:05 PM   #9
padrejay

So far, I'm hearing what I thought I'd hear, which is fine. The problem I've had with the DW is finding one available. It seems like they make a couple of hundred at a time and they get snatched up before I realize that they're available. Very frustrating.
Old April 24, 2010, 09:15 PM   #10
Warchild

Never had an Ed Brown and wouldn't mind having one if I had disposable income but my DW CBOB is the finest firearm I have ever owned to date. For a average working guy like myself it's as close to sophisticated perfection I'll probably ever come to. There is a reason they get snatched up quick. Check at 1911forums in the DW section, there is a DW locater thread that is stickied.
Old April 24, 2010, 09:17 PM   #11
ttheel

If you have any "good" local dealers, tell them what you want and they should be able to get it. It may take a few weeks but most that have been in business for some time can do it.
Old April 24, 2010, 10:06 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Ed Brown is the primo of the three. You certainly get what you pay for if you seek acute attention to details.

Dan Wessons, IIRC, use Ed Brown products for some of their parts. I also think just about every part is forged, NOT MIM. This year, they switched from cast frames to forged. Mind you, if you end up with an older model cast frame, I wouldn't even sweat it. Their fit/finish on the ones I've handled are outstanding given the price. I haven't fired one so I don't know how they perform. Again, the given information is strictly from memory...

I don't have much knowledge in the specific model Kimber you're inquiring. However, I have no faith nor inclination to spend my hard earned money to gamble that I MIGHT get a quality 1911 variant from them. They've burned me in the past and there's just too many other companies out there that have a much better reputation to consider. Once again, my personal experience. There's a regular member here that has had spotty positive experience at best with many other companies but owns/owned several Kimbers with no issues at all.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 24, 2010, 10:42 PM   #13
Sturmgewehre

Yup, what others have said. Brown is by far the best of the 3. Dan Wesson is the next best. Kimber, eh... not even close to the others in your list.
Old April 24, 2010, 10:46 PM   #14
Officer's Match

I have had good luck with Ed Brown's, but would only buy their carbon steel models in the future, as the SS slides have known peening issues in the slide stop notch, which bugs me alot at that price level. I much prefer Les Baers and feel they are the best high quality bang-for-the-buck.
Old April 24, 2010, 11:12 PM   #15
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I much prefer Les Baers and feel they are the best high quality bang-for-the-buck.
You said exactly what I thought, but since Baers weren't on the list I bit my tongue.....HARD.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 24, 2010, 11:46 PM   #16
HisSoldier

Quote:
I also think just about every part is forged, NOT MIM.
DW brags about non MIM parts, and haven't had any at all for over a year I believe. They have used Ed Brown parts, and on 2009 some were cast parts I believe, but haven't checked, on my 2009 DW's the mag catch has a parting line right through the serrations perpendicular to them, speaks of cast to me.

The higher priced 2010 models supposedly have all barstock parts, I'd love to see magazine catch on one up close. Forged would be better, but cast doesn't bother me too much, barstock certainly acceptable over cast.

Probably from a time chart barstock parts cost more than any other type, but smaller numbers dictate barstock unless there is a source of cheaper forged parts. The company intends to make all their small parts in house and said they would be machined from bar. As mentioned, in the long run forged are almost certainly better and cheaper, in the very looong run.

I dearly want a 2010, but they are way up there and no ships come to port anymore with my name on them.

In the final history of 1911's that will be written some day I think the 2010 DW's will rank very high indeed, higher than it would seem in the forums. When they come out again without any sprayed on finishes in polished stainless I'll eat bologna sandwiches for a year to get one.
I have CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P-238's. Video on installation in Sig;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2v_-87DRM
Old April 25, 2010, 12:57 AM   #17
michael t

Like every one else Ed Brown next on my list. I have a Dan Wesson CBOB and its great but I still want a Brown. As for Kimber I bought one once its gone replaced . Will never be another.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old April 25, 2010, 01:06 AM   #18
FM12

Consider A S&W 1911, specifically SKU 108284. OUTSTANDING HANDGUN!! Had to sell mine to make a truck payment,wish I could afford another. Best 1911 I've ever shot.
Old April 25, 2010, 01:26 AM   #19
gglass

Why is Kimber on the list?
Old April 25, 2010, 08:25 AM   #20
yellolab

No dount Brown is the best, but at a price premium.

DW best value that you mention. Also Springfielf TRP.

Kimber is nice, but not in the same league as DW.

Kevin
Old April 25, 2010, 06:31 PM   #21
gak

In this order, price independent
- Ed Brown Special Forces Carry (new Bob/4" commander variant this year, similar to Kobra Carry) or same as above regular 5"
- DW Valor or Valor BOB (VBOB)
- DW CBOB
Old April 25, 2010, 08:13 PM   #22
KyJim

I have both an Ed Brown Special Forces Carry and a Dan Wesson CBOB. As Tuttle8 mentioned, the CBOB is a very good quality cast frame 1911. The biggest fault I could find in it is the trigger has some vertical movement or slop. The trigger is easily changed. Excellent value. Unfortunately, they have been discontinued for 2010. They are now building the V-BOB (Valor Bob) which has a forged frame and what they call their "duty coat." It is also listed at about $300 more than the CBOB.

The EB Special Forces just takes fit and finish to another level. It just feels different than any other 1911 I've handled, including Baers and Wilsons. Maybe that's all psychological but if you can swing it, go for the Brown. You won't regret it.

Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old April 25, 2010, 09:22 PM   #23
awpk03s

I will agree with the others that an Ed Brown is the best pistol in your list.
But a Dan Wesson is the best pistol for the money. In my opinion, the advantages of an Ed Brown aren't worth the extra $1000 (roughly) over a Dan Wesson. Thus, why I have 3 Dan Wesson 1911s.

Consider an STI Trojan as well, or a Springfield TRP (if you can stomach all the billboard words on the slide/frame).

Kimber shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as these other pistols.
Old April 26, 2010, 02:12 AM   #24
Huevos

Ed Brown definately, if you have the money. The other two don't really compare (and I'm a big Kimber fan). I also agree about giving Baer a good look.

My Kobra Carry

My Baer TRS
Old April 26, 2010, 09:35 AM   #25
predecessor

Quote:
Had to sell mine to make a truck payment...
Next time, keep the pistol; lose the truck and ride a bike instead