The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Does Mini 14 makes its way into your collection if you are limited to only 10 rifles?
Yes 137 58.30%
No 98 41.70%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 23, 2010, 10:31 PM   #51
jmr40

I've made the mini-14 mistake earlier. Wouldn't have another one as a gift. When they were selling for about 1/4 the price of an AR I could see the point of having one. They are now MORE expensive than many very good AR's.
Old April 23, 2010, 10:36 PM   #52
JSmith723

This thread is useful. I'm a long-time handgunner, finally considering a rifle. I'd thought about a 10-22 but if I'm only going to own (1) fairly lightweight, maximally versatile rifle... the mini-14 is looking good right now. I live in an urban residential neighborhood; ~75 yd. is the longest shot I'd ever conceivably see - a bit beyond handgun/defensive shotgun range but nowhere near "battle rifle" range.
Old April 24, 2010, 12:19 AM   #53
Bamashooter

alot of you folks are going on very old info or one you had 25yrs. ago. mini's are quite a bit better than they used to be. if you are dismissing them becouse of what happend years ago, i think its a mistake. mine shoots very close to moa and i have a little over 700 in it. how could it not make ANY top 10?
Old April 24, 2010, 01:04 AM   #54
Firepower!

Magazine issue with Mini

Over the years have owned 2 Minis. One was 181- serial and the other is 195 serial number. With both of them I have had noticed that inserting magazine is an issue. It does not go in smoothly as I would want it like AK, AR, GIII or any other rifle. 2/10 times it wont sit right and I would have to reinsert it.

Is there a trick to it or Ruger has missed the boat on this? To me changing mag is important since this is where you are vulnerable during a gun fight in a SD or HD scenario.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:08 AM   #55
NooYawkuh

Why is it whenever someone even mentions a Mini-14 on a message board, AR enthusiasts come out of the woodwork to rag on it? It's like they have some sort of inferiority complex - like they're threatened by it. As if to say, because there are ARs, there's no need for Mini-14s.

Yet it's one of the most successful commercially produced firearms in history.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:10 AM   #56
mapsjanhere

I'm the odd man out, I could see me owning a Mini 14 as "the one" rifle I'm allowed to own, but not if I'm allowed 10. It's a reasonably accurate and reasonably effective in both hunting and SD. But as soon as I'm allowed two, I'd switch to a 7x57 hunting Mauser and an AK 47, and specialize from there.
Old April 24, 2010, 09:21 AM   #57
gotigers

yes, if i could have ten rifles.

No, if all i can have is 5.
Old April 24, 2010, 09:23 AM   #58
KMO

Quote:
Why is it whenever someone even mentions a Mini-14 on a message board, AR enthusiasts come out of the woodwork to rag on it? It's like they have some sort of inferiority complex - like they're threatened by it. As if to say, because there are ARs, there's no need for Mini-14s.
It's a cult...Don't drink their Kool Ade when they offer it...Keep your Mini close by...

www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com
Old April 24, 2010, 09:29 AM   #59
TSR80

Quote:
A lot of it has to do with emotional investment in the product.

Basing conclusions on emotions is like wiping before you poop, it doesn't make any damn sense.
Old April 24, 2010, 10:22 AM   #60
pinetree

I have a number of rifles but in truth I could limit my battery to 3 guns and be covered.

1. Ruger 10/22, with some dressing-up
2. A quality 308 bolt-action
3. An AR carbine

The mini just doesn't appeal to me. To me the AR is just a better more versatile platform. I'd rather save my money and get the AR.
Old April 24, 2010, 10:29 AM   #61
Chris_B

Not having any emotional attachment to the Mini-14 and no history with the rifle at all gives me the opportunity to look at the facts of the rifle. I'm not buying one in 1980, I would be buying one today. I could choose to buy a new one or an old one. I could research the rifle online and look for unbiased reports of the good and bad of the rifle

Having done just that, I can only conclude that, for what it is, present day manufacture Mini-14s are completely reasonable for what they are and I would own one.

Any 1967 Camaro that had any balls had wheel-hop with the factory suspension. I sincerely doubt that a 2010 Camaro still experiences that wheel-hop.
Old April 24, 2010, 11:36 AM   #62
L_Killkenny

10 rifles? Does that include rimfires? If not 10 is more than I will ever ever need or want. In order of need/want not counting rimfires:

Bolt action varmint gun #1 (.22-250)
Bolt action big game gun (.25, 6.5mm or 7mm, definetly a short action)
Lever action pistol caliber, prefer .357.
Bolt action varmint gun #2 (.17 fireball)
That's it.

As you can see that leaves me plenty of room to fit a Mini-14 in. So yes it could make my 10 gun list. Will I buy one? No. For comparable $$$ would I buy an AR first? Yes. Will I buy an AR? Doubtful. Would I buy any other semi-auto centerfire? Heck no.

LK

Last edited by L_Killkenny; April 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old April 24, 2010, 11:51 AM   #63
jmr40

Bamashooter,

The newer Mini's are certainly more accurate than the old ones. I never had any issues with reliability using good mags. But $700 for the new ones is insane. You can get an AR for far less than that. My sub $600 AR shoots target ammo into 1/2" groups. Reliable 20 and 30 round AR magazines are easily available for $15-$20.

When you could pick up a used Mini-14 for around $200 and count on 3"-4" groups in a very reliable rifle I could see the point. I cannot see the point in paying more for a less accurate rifle that is difficult to find any magazines for. I know Ruger is releasing reliable 20 round magazines now, but how many do you actually see. And at $40 each they are no bargain.
Old April 24, 2010, 12:18 PM   #64
gak

JSmith723 said:
This thread is useful. I'm a long-time handgunner, finally considering a rifle. I'd thought about a 10-22 but if I'm only going to own (1) fairly lightweight, maximally versatile rifle... the mini-14 is looking good right now. I live in an urban residential neighborhood; ~75 yd. is the longest shot I'd ever conceivably see - a bit beyond handgun/defensive shotgun range but nowhere near "battle rifle" range.
----
JSmith, you just described a M1 Carbine to a "T." Ditto a Beretta CX or Ruger PC in 9 or 40 (both Rugers no longer made)--though I always found those Rugers to be about a 3/4-1 pound more than their configuration or cartridges called for. For versatility among these, I'd take the M1 for its greater effectiveness 75-100/125 or the transition zone to the .223. Your other characterization of "maximally versatile," however, kicks it back to the .223 or 6.8 in either the Ruger or AR platform, or x39 in Ruger or AK/SK...but <100 yds are exactly what the "pistol" (length) cartridge- guns are for.

Last edited by gak; April 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old April 24, 2010, 12:46 PM   #65
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

ChrisB, if you add one leaf to each rear spring of a 1967 Camaro, I found that it would handle a 427 quite nicely. But I never towed my race car faster than 120 mph.

Mini magazines: Darned if I know why there are so many problems with modern manufacture. I had quite a few after-market mags back in the 1970s/early 1980s. They always functioned properly. I never had to do any adjustment of the feed lips with needle-nosed pliers...
Old April 24, 2010, 04:00 PM   #66
Kmar40

I have no use for a mini no matter how many rifles are in my battery. It's reliable, but not particularly rugged. It''s mostly known for it's terrible accuracy.

Just no redeeming quality that I can think of, except a traditional stock if you live in one of the Leftist Regimes that won't allow all those BAD features.
Old April 24, 2010, 04:22 PM   #67
mellow_c

YES

I would say YES,
Even if I was limited to 10 rifles, I would still chose a Mini 14 as one of them.
The way I figure it is.

I like the Mini 14 better than the AR-15

The Ruger Mini 14 factory 30 round magazines are now available to hold as many rounds as an AR.

You can always get a new Barrel installed on your Mini 14, giving it the accuracy of an AR.

and once again, I like the Mini 14 better than the AR-15.

Once thats all said and done, that leaves me with the option of 9 more rifles, so I still have plenty of room for an AR, or anything similar. But If I could only have 10 rifles, the Mini 14 would be one of them.
Old April 24, 2010, 06:19 PM   #68
Pahoo

Quote:
I've made the mini-14 mistake earlier. Wouldn't have another one as a gift
Me too and fortunately, I got a good deal on it, so I could sell it and still get my money back. I took it out a total of two times and that was the end of that dance. Given that, I don't own an AR or anything like this but have shot a few of my buddy's AR's and that's a different story. So Y'all do the math; I have owned and shot a Ranch Rifle and didn't care for it and do not own an AR and like them.

Be Safe !!!
Old April 24, 2010, 09:07 PM   #69
Crosshair

Quote:
I really don't understand why anyone would buy a Mini-14 when you can get an AR for the same or less money. A Mini-14 would not make my list of Top 100 rifles.
So have you seen bigfoot too? The only ARs that come even remotely close to matching the Mini on price are Vietnam leftovers or guns with fixed carry handles that nobody wants.

I used to be an AK guy, then bought a Mini-14 factory folder at a guns show, then got a 581 series Mini-14. Love them both.
Old April 24, 2010, 09:17 PM   #70
uncyboo

I've had both AR's and Mini's. I still have a Mini........
Old April 24, 2010, 09:20 PM   #71
qwik

I have a ruger ss ranch mini 14 in my safe, and is not for sale . IMHO it is a great camp gun, and always make me feel better ever time i shoot
Old April 24, 2010, 10:15 PM   #72
nstoolman1

I voted yes. It takes as many squirrels and rabbits as I have asked it to without a missing a beat. It is over 30 years old.
Old April 24, 2010, 11:24 PM   #73
Swampghost

I bought my first Mini before they were released, 1975 if I remember correctly.

That rifle has been through hell and back. Days of total immersion on and off, days of rain for years, Everglades muck so thick that I've dunked it just to clean it. So far, not a single malfunction.

I bought it as a deer/hog-killer for the swamp, short range, and it's good at that. It was never touted as highly accurate which it's not. It will still best my son's AK's @ 100 yds. as will the others that I've collected over the years.
Old April 24, 2010, 11:32 PM   #74
NooYawkuh

Quote:
The only ARs that come even remotely close to matching the Mini on price are Vietnam leftovers or guns with fixed carry handles that nobody wants.
No, you can probably build an AR for close to the price of a new Mini, but I doubt those are made from components that meet MIL spec. They're not Colts. I think a Colt is still about twice the price.

OTOH, Minis have crept up in price in the past few years but they have improved accordingly. The 58*s are superior to the 18*s.

So as the Minis have improved and the cheaper ARs approach dog $#!+ status, they're basically on par with one another.

What about personal preference. Maybe I just want a nice, lightweight, reliable, compact carbine without all kinds of things sticking out in all directions.
Old April 24, 2010, 11:38 PM   #75
RockyMtnTactical

Why would anyone limit himself to 10 rifles? I don't like this game.

Tags
.223 , 5.56x45 , ar vs mini , ranch rifle , ruger mini 14 , ruger mini 30