The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 21, 2010, 12:10 PM   #1
DRShippy

Best CC holster for a Sig P229 Elite?

About two months ago, I became the proud owner of a new Sig P229 Elite with rosewood grips in 9mm. I would really like suggestions on concealment holsters from anyone who has routinely carried this weapon. Also, since I don't have any actual experience with concealed carry yet, I was wondering if it's realistic for me to find a holster that would allow me to carry concealed under very light clothing (such as t-shirts). The cheap paddle-style holster I purchased just for walking around in the woods works great for its intended purpose, but there's a ridiculously-obvious gun outline when I wear a t-shirt over this setup. I don't know if body-type is relevant (I've seen a few people mention it when asking questions about holsters before), but I'm about 5'10" tall and 185 lbs with a pretty athletic build.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old April 21, 2010, 12:31 PM   #2
RT

Check out the Comp-Tac MTAC holster.
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95
Old April 23, 2010, 10:24 PM   #3
eagleninezero

I carry a P226 Navy, about the same dimensions as a P229, and prefer my Crossbreed Supertuck. I am the same hieght and build as you. It's a little big but covers the length nicely, has an adjustable cant and it snugs up well. Very comfortable and the 'printing' is nonexistent with a loose shirt. I usually wear patterned button down shirts, untucked, and the Sig doesn't 'print' (i.e, the gun is outlined) at all.

BTW, congrats on your acquisition! That one's a work of art - it's on my short list.

"Never mind maneuvers, always go straight at 'em!" - Vice Admiral Lord Viscount Nelson
Old April 24, 2010, 07:14 PM   #4
lambertsteeth

I love the Alessi CQC-S.
It is owb. Puts the gun high and tight to my body. Is VERY comfortable to carry. I own three for three different guns. I don't even have to undo my belt buckle to take the holster off. Not cheap, but very worth it.
For me, iwb carry is very uncomfortable. I much prefer owb.
Old April 24, 2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Uncle Malice

MTAC or SuperTuck are great holsters... if you want to be a bit more mobile... or the ability to quickly remove and put on the holster... look to the CompTac Infidel holster... good stuff.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:55 PM   #6
rsxr22

comp-tac mtac or crossbreed supertuck and a good belt
Old April 27, 2010, 09:23 AM   #7
DRShippy

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. I picked up the Sig-brand paddle holster during my second trip to the range this week. I sure do like it better than the cheap generic one I purchased from Bass Pro. I will definitely evaluate each of the holsters that you've recommended and see which one seems to fit my needs the best. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Stay safe and shoot straight.
Old April 27, 2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Sinjin

I'm about the same size as you and I carry my SIG P220 Carry in a Milt Sparks VMII. http://www.miltsparks.com/VM-2.htm I wasn't big on IWB holsters until I bought the VMII. It's now my EDC holster. I can wear it with a t-shirt and it doesn't print at all.

A warrior is a man of action, guided by reason and motivated by love!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old April 28, 2010, 04:31 PM   #9
Oldjarhead

I have a "Phantom" kydex holster from Raven Concealment, for my Sig P229 Gen 2. It is super high grade kydex that is molded to the exact shape of the gun, and snaps in place perfectly when you holster it. You can order it from www.themalabarfront.com. Be advised these holsters are so popular, that they are about sixty days deep in orders right now. I had to wait about forty days when I ordered mine in January, 2010 and got it in March, 2010. It was well worth the wait IMO. Check out Eric R. Shelton's You Tube review of it.
Old April 28, 2010, 08:59 PM   #10
LOUcifer

Quote:
crossbreed supertuck
+1
Old April 28, 2010, 10:36 PM   #11
jgcoastie

Blade Tech makes the "Ultimate Concealment Holster" that allows you to tuck your shirt in if you so desire... It's on my list of things to buy...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old April 29, 2010, 06:33 AM   #12
peteg21

For IWB the Crossbreed Super Tuck, and OWB My favorite pancake holster from Rodek Leather Works he is been making holsters and belts for the last 30 years, retired LEO from Springfield,IL and very affordable for $35.00 he will make you a custom pancake holster with great stitching 9 oz leather, and $75.00 for a leather shoulder rig Jackass style...I have several belts, and holsters from this gentleman and he will make you anything you want out of leather for half the price..7 day turn around on his orders great customer service. His email Leatherworker454@aol.com...He comes highly recommended.

Last edited by peteg21; April 29, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old April 29, 2010, 01:02 PM   #13
wrt81

Love my Comptac MTAC for my p229. Also, get a good gun belt. They make a huge difference.
Old April 29, 2010, 01:13 PM   #14
BigJimP

Kramer - horsehide, Inside Waist Band ... with a forward FBI tilt ... is my holster of choice on Sigs or on my 1911's ....

http://www.kramerleather.com/home.cfm

they are molded - model and mfg specific...
Old April 29, 2010, 08:17 PM   #15
Rinspeed

Quote:
I love the Alessi CQC-S.

Me too.