The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 21, 2010, 09:37 AM   #1
coldpointcrossing

Charles Daly Hi Power 9mm $$?

Was perusing a local shop yesterday and stared at a C.Daly Hi Power listed at $400.00. Didn't put my hands on it but from appearance, it looked to be in good to very good condition. Now I am wondering...What do the experienced Hi Power aficionados have to say? Is it "more trouble than it's worth"?
Old April 21, 2010, 10:05 AM   #2
worth

The Daly is a good High-power copy. I would however be cautious with any Daly now that their future is bleak.
Old April 21, 2010, 10:23 AM   #3
coldpointcrossing

What If...

That short slide is sooooo awesome! Now that is a Glory Gun!
Old April 21, 2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Walt Sherrill

If it's a good copy, what's the concern? Would it be any different if you were buying a much older BHP? (No warranty, etc.)
Old April 21, 2010, 11:02 AM   #5
hammie

I would buy it in a heartbeat. The CD (charles daly) browning hi-power is a real sleeper. My understanding is that the CD browning project was one of the first financial missteps (plus loss of suppliers and many other factors) which started the downward financial spiral of KBI. By all industry accounts, Michael Kassnar of KBI is an honest and honorable man who is a great friend of the shooting sports and whose company provided good quality products. The whole thing was sad. Maybe there will be some sort of resurrection of KBI.
Old April 21, 2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Jimbo-Indy

I carried on for several years then sold it to a co-worker who still has it. Found it to be an excellent gun except I didn't like the XS sights, it always shot high for me. The sight dovetails are not the same as Browning HP. don't buy after markert sights without measuring. I had my gunsmith recut the dovetails and install a Novac low profile rear and fiber optic front. Made excellent carry set-up.
As to price, I bought mine for $310 NIB about 3 years ago. This was in Indiana where prices seem to run lower than many states. Sold it less than a year ago for $300. Wish I still had it. Also had a Browning HP Practical in 40 SW at the same time. Couldn't see much difference in fit or function.
Old April 21, 2010, 12:35 PM   #7
worth

The only concern would be exact replacement parts and not having a warranty when there should be one. The value would be higher if it had a warranty or at least the perceived value. Last time I checked, FN and Browning are still in business.
Old April 21, 2010, 04:40 PM   #8
markj

Bought mine new for 315.00 and not one problem with it. Go ahead and get it.
Old April 21, 2010, 10:24 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

ia it not compatible with other hipower parts?
I would love to get a hipower. I think a hipower fill the role 1911s fill for most of you with me. I don't want to spend a lot on a museum piece as I intend to shoot it to death.
Old April 21, 2010, 10:48 PM   #10
SouthpawShootr

Quote:
My understanding is that the CD browning project was one of the first financial missteps (plus loss of suppliers and many other factors) which started the downward financial spiral of KBI.
CD really didn't have any choice with regard to discontinuing their Hi-Power. FEG, their parts supplier went, not so much belly-up, but exited from the firearms business. The CD Hi-Power was a little expensive but the few examples that I had the opportunity to examine were well-executed and most who have them like them. I wish I had picked one up when they first came out, but I didn't care for the sights and the price was a bit more than I was willing to pay ($500 NIB, when FN marked Hi-Powers could be had for just a little more).

CD, the company was done in by a bunch of different things. From what I've read, they brought out an AR-15, but their timing was bad and they got stuck with lots of inventory they couldn't move. Armscor was giving them a hard time with the 1911 production. A line of rather underperforming (sales-wise) shotguns didn't help matters. Then the final straw was the G4 (1911) fiasco. BUL took forever to get the gun ready. Then they wanted to supply the exact same gun to Magnum Research as their entry into the now crowded 1911 market. Those of us who followed the CD G4 project can easily see the features Kassnar specified on the CD guns. Only difference is the billboard on the slide. Mr. Kassnar cut ties with BUL because of this and with that, I think, pretty much consigned KBI to oblivion. A pity, I was looking forward to the CD 1911. I would have bought one if I found it to meet my needs. I hope Mr. Kassnar hasn't quit the business totally. He brought us some great stuff over the years.
Old April 23, 2010, 06:57 PM   #11
publius

they were great guns and i hated to see CD go out of business. Mike Kassnar is, by all accounts, a really good guy and I hope we see him again. I almost went to work for him about a year ago but the money just wasn't right and I see why now. He seemed like a really nice fellow in our conversations and I will certainly support his future endeavours.
Old April 23, 2010, 09:11 PM   #12
Ricklin

CD Diamond three

It's a shame we lost KBI.
My Diamond 3 NRA is an excellent shotgun, great workmanship, I get compliments on it all the time.
It was a well priced gun at 1,300.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:18 AM   #13
t45

I have a CD 1911 Officer Model in 45acp. It is very well built and very reliable. I think CD has had a bad rap because their guns dont cost +$1000. For the money, I think they are great deals. CD has recently gone out of business but if I ever need any work done, I would take it to my gunsmith anyways.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:56 AM   #14
SouthpawShootr

1911s and, to some extent Hi-Powers are the safe buys in the gun world. Just about any decent gunsmith can fit parts to these guns, but the main requirement is that they be real gunsmiths, not some hack who barely made it through an armorer's course and then decided he's a gunsmith. The CD Hi-Power was based on the FEG 9M which, IIRC, had some changes in the barrel lug/slide stop from the Browning design. Some regular Hi-Power parts won't fit this gun. The KBI PJK-9HP was a true copy and most FN/Browning parts can be fitted to these guns. As with 1911s, virtually nothing, and particular things involving safeties, on a Hi-Power is drop-in. Designs like the Hi-Power that have been in production a long time underwent subtle changes in dimensions as time went on so that even parts that would have been drop-in early on are now produced oversized to allow proper fit. I've been told by a few knowledgeable people that a true mil-spec 1911 can be slapped together with no fitting. I don't know it that's true but, these days, even mil-spec doesn't mean what it used to.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:08 PM   #15
ranburr

Too much. I only paid $300 for mine NIB. Good pistol, parts interchange with a Browning and the dovetails are Novak cut.
Old April 24, 2010, 09:58 PM   #16
denster

I've had mine for over 4 years and more than 3K rounds down the tube with no issues. Fit finish and function are great. Mine was $350nib so $400 may sound a little high but what else is out there in that range right now?