The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 18, 2010, 06:58 AM   #1
winter5470

Trigger adjustment on a new winchester model 70

I have a new model 70 with the MOA trigger. The pull weight is too heavy. I have searched and found lots of info on how to adjust older model 70's but nothing on the new MOA trigger. I assume you have to remove the epoxy covering the front of the trigger assembly. If anyone has directions or pics on how to do it I would be very greatful.
Thanks
Kurt
Old April 18, 2010, 08:25 AM   #2
winter5470

OK - got down to the screw adjustment - can not tell what size allan head it is - anyone know?
Thanks
Kurt
Old April 18, 2010, 08:48 AM   #3
TXGunNut

Can't locate my owner's manual but seem to recall it being addressed in there. It won't allow a pull lighter than about 2 1/4# IIRC. Which one did you get? How does it shoot?
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old April 18, 2010, 12:22 PM   #4
300magman

I have a model 70 coyote outback (22-250) with the MOA trigger...I didn't like it much at all at first, it had tons of Big metal burs, a poorly finished stock, and shot like a nightmare with most ammo I fed it. The trigger was also stiff, but perfectly crisp

The owners manual included instructions how to adjust it....but getting that epoxy off was near impossible. I can't recall which screw corresponds to which function without finding my manual but there are 2 screws, one adjusts pull weight, and the other keeps the trigger pull short and crisp.

I found at first there was little adjustment to the screws (they travelled, but the pull stayed close to the same) Now after many more uses I find that it is lossening up and becoming more responsive to the position of the screws. It took time but I now have a near perfect trigger that breaks very clean at 2.5lbs. I've also come to find out that the rifle shoots much better over longer distances. Though I still can't hit quarters reliably at 100 yards I can shoot Very very tight groups at ranges of 300 yards plus. (Something about how the light fast bullets stabalize I guess)
Old April 18, 2010, 02:41 PM   #5
winter5470

I could have saved lots of time by reading the manual - directions are right in there. It is a 1/16 allenhead.
Kurt
Old April 18, 2010, 08:05 PM   #6
TXGunNut

Hope I didn't sound like a smartarse, Kurt. I've learned to read the owner's manual on everything from Leatherman tools on up. I always learn something, even if I think I'm very knowledgeable about the product.
Hope to get a range report soon.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.