The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 14, 2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Monkeyleg

Places to shoot in the Huntsville AL area?

My wife and I will be moving to the Huntsville AL area (Decatur to be more specific) at the end of the month.

I'm just wondering what's in the area as far as outdoor ranges. Are the ranges there formal, or are there any gravel pits where you can go and just plink away?

As soon as we get the bed set up and food in the refrigerator, I want to check out the ranges.
Old April 14, 2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Grim_Reaper

If you are going to be in Decatur then your best bet is Swan Creek Wildlife managment area's shooting range good out to 100 yards.
Old April 16, 2010, 03:13 PM   #3
daytooday

Lived in the Decatur area all my life and Swan Creek is about the best place. Its free, all you need is a valid hunting license. (Check with them this is new I think). They have 4 seperated shooting areas all but one is covered. You can call The Swan Creek wildlife management area and they can give you all the details
Old April 16, 2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Wleoff

Some people were trying to put in a range at Hartselle, which is just South of Decatur. I don't know if they made any progress. There's a range in Sheffield, which hosts a lot of rimfire matches. Can't remember the name, but probably any gun store in the area would know. I live in Madison and shoot at the Blue and Gray Club at Guntersville Dam, which is, unfortunately, 75 miles from you. There are some long range ranges South of you at Bessemer and Jasper, I think. Larry's, in Huntsville, has an indoor range. SASS, cowboy action shooting, meets are held in several areas in North Alabama. The SASS website has info on these. Move to Decatur and check at Wiley's or JCs and they'll direct you. The tall red bearded guy at Wiley's is harmless but should be helpful. Good luck.