The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2010, 11:22 PM   #1
FullCry

Question about HDY XTP bullet

What is a HDY XTP bullet? What does all of this stand for? Is this the ultimate defense round? Thanks, FullCry
Old April 13, 2010, 12:32 AM   #2
Dr. Strangelove

XTP = Extreme Terminal Performance
HDY = Hornady, the company that manufactures the XTP

It's a good bullet, as many are. The "best defense" round depends on what you what your bullet to do, and what the target is made of/hiding behind.

http://www.hornady.com/store/XTP-XTP-MAG/

The XTP line is engineered to expand reliably at the expected impact velocities of a particular cartridge/bullet weight combination.

It is important to use the correct bullet for the expected velocity at impact to achieve advertised results.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; April 13, 2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old April 13, 2010, 12:38 AM   #3
joneb

Quote:
What is a HDY XTP bullet? What does all of this stand for? Is this the ultimate defense round?
XTP = extreme terminal performance.
I load them for .357 and .44 magnum the XTP/HP and XTP/FP are excellent bullets that perform best at higher velocities.
Old April 13, 2010, 06:15 AM   #4
SL1

A little more info

The XTP bullets are "cup and core" construction, like most "jacketed" bullets. Their jackets are not bonded to their lead cores, so jacket separation inside the targets is possible, but not usually a problem. That contrasts with say the competing Gold Dot bullets made by Speer, which have a (thick as a jacket) plating over their lead core, and will not separate.

Data for XTP bullets often has a little less power at maximum charge because the bullets are a little longer due to the larger than usual nose cavities. In contrast, the Speer Gold Dots often have a little more powder at maximum charge because they are shorter due to smaller than usual nose cavities and a blunter nose shape. So, be careful about substituting bullets when either of these two bullets are involved in your loads or the data you are using.

As for the "ultimate" defense bullet, that is a matter of opinion and even the opinions change as the technology advances and new products are made available. For example, Hornady has added soft polymer material to the nose cavity of the XTP bullets to keep them from plugging as they penetrate "barriers" like thick cloth or plasterboard, so that they will expand when they hit flesh. These bullets are labeled "FTX" and loaded into ammo called "Critical Defense" by Hornady.

SL1
Old April 13, 2010, 03:22 PM   #5
FullCry

Thanks for the replies. I have been wondering for a while what that abbreviation meant. JHP's work for me. FullCry
Old April 13, 2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Stargazer

My favorites right now are Hornady 300 grain XTP's for the 45 Colt. They make two of them in 300 grains. One has double cannelures and the other is called a MAG meaning it can handle velocities over 12-1300 FPS OK. The DC bullet is for velocities up to 12-1300. I use both of them when I can get them. My 4" RedHawk will never see velocities past 1200 FPS with a 300 grain bullet (not that I have not tried) so either works for me.

M70 Web Page