The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 18, 2010, 03:20 PM   #26
qcpunk

Thanks for the link AK. I definately see what you're talking about; it certainly has more of a defined holster, as opposed to a pocket. One ting that stands out to me is the lack of anything to prevent printing. I think I have to give a point to the 5.11 for the "foamish" lining of the outside and inside of the holster pocket. I think it helps cusion your body from the firearm and helps to break up any hard lines from the firearm that may show on the cover garmet. But of course, that all depends on what your cover garmet is.

I really thank you for bringing that info to the thread. Cowboy, OP, has posted questions on the 5.11, and now he has info AND options. Aint TFL great?
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 18, 2010, 03:49 PM   #27
AK103K

I know what you mean about the printing thing, but isnt as bad as you might think. You do need to wear a full cut shirt with it though, or at least I do. Tapered shirts with either probably isnt a great idea.

The thing I dislike the most about the 511 is the way the gun moves around in the pocket. I never had one come completely out, but close. I find that movement to be very distracting and makes me a lot more self conscious about the gun. With the Kramer, nothing really moves or flops around, and its a lot more secure overall. Its sort of a trade off between better security and possibly printing, or the constant movement and wanting to settle or secure the gun all the time and the ''printing" or "pointing" effect generated in that respect.

Your best bet, if you can afford to do it, is buy one of each and see what works best for you. We're all different, and have different lifestyles, and what works well for one, may not work as well for another.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old April 18, 2010, 08:40 PM   #28
cowboy_711

First of all I'd like to say thanks to all. As qcpunk said, I now have info, options, and opinions. The Kramer shirt also looks interesting. I agree that the only way I can decided for myself is to try out both shirts, which I probably will do.

I also agree with those that say in most situations, a good IWB holster will be much more advantageous. I will also find a IWB holster and use it when able. I guess the reason I am so interested in the 5.11 is because I often find myself wearing athletic type pants (or sweat pants) and a T-shirt, where a belt fastened holster is impossible. I know some of you will say the easy solution is to just wear a good pair of pants with a good belt holster....which is true. I just like to know that are options for me to carry, even when belt carry is not an option. To me, using the 5.11 (deeper concealed & harder to get to) is still better than not carrying at all.

I am not by any means saying that this is the best method of carry, every situation is different. I am just looking at my options.
Old April 18, 2010, 09:03 PM   #29
rsxr22

i love the 5.11 holster shirt for deep concealment. i carry my lcr and p2ksk in it and it does very well at not printing
Old April 19, 2010, 04:26 AM   #30
AK103K

If your wearing sweat pants, then by all means, look into the Smart Carry holsters. I think you'll find them to be much more comfortable, and much easier to access, especially if your wearing just a tee shirt. No belt is necessary.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old April 19, 2010, 07:10 AM   #31
SaberOne

I’ve given up on 5.11 shirts here in Arizona. The so-called ‘covert’ styles are poly-rayon that makes you sweat like a pig, and their cotton shirts all scream ‘cop’ or school janitor. I've had better luck with snap-down shirts from a western store which are better quality, and actually less 'redneck' looking than 5.11 styles.

Last edited by SaberOne; April 19, 2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old April 19, 2010, 09:27 PM   #32
cowboy_711

At the suggestion of AK103K I have looked into the Smart Carry system. Thanks for the suggestion, this also looks like a very good system. I'll have to check it out as well.

I found this review online check it out. http://journal.drfaulken.com/smartca...olster-review/

Tags
5.11 , deep concealment , holster , shirt