The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 13, 2010, 08:56 AM   #26
jglsprings

This is the model 60. I liked it better than the air weights to shoot and I'm a big guy that doesn't mind recoil. If she is going to carry in her purse, the extra weight shouldn't be a problem...

Like vladan said...

Quote:
Another choice for .38 special revolver is to introduce the revolver to her with wadcutters ... they are very light loads and still do pretty good job in defensive situation
She MUST start off with the 38 target loads. Learning to shoot a snubby well is a task. More often than not, most people (men or women) do not want to invest the time. I know you are looking for a carry gun, but I think you and she will be much better served by a 22 for the first year.

P.S.

At least your wife will entertain the notion of a carry gun. Mine would run screaming from the room! LOL!

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; April 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: good lord, what did I write??
Old April 13, 2010, 09:33 AM   #27
LordTio3

Neither one of us is really new to firearms. I grew up with them. I had my first .22 rifle when I was 12, pistols, etc... I don't pretend to be an expert, but I've had my share of experience over the years. She's been shooting with me several times and handles the weapons I give her fairly well. She's a pretty good natural shot, and she's not afraid of guns. Lately, she's been asking me "So when are we going to get MY gun?" My biggest concern was the whole...

Tiny girl + extremely lightweight tiny revolver + .38 special recoil = not a fun day.

But with the other advice I've received on here, I think I can get that licked pretty quick. I've toyed with the idea of a steel-frame, but in my searches, they have either been about 15 years old, or much higher in price than the 637 in a snub-nosed .38special.

Can anyone prove me wrong on this? I really don't mind being proven wrong.

~LT
Old April 13, 2010, 09:53 AM   #28
jglsprings

You are correct the 60 is about $150.00 more.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/26261

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/26309

Let me clarify... I think the 637 is a fine gun. You will be served well by either one. I think that you will be happier with the 60 / 357 option longer.

Now let me step back..... It really should be up to her. If she likes a Taurus 410 Judge then that is what you should get. If she doesn't like the weapon she won't carry it.

At least you are working with her and not forcing your choices on her. I get to teach a lot of women that have been treated badly by a boyfriend or husband that thought it would be "funny" to let her shoot the 454...... This does not appear to be your situation and I commend you for it.

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; April 13, 2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: fixed links.... doh!
Old April 13, 2010, 09:54 AM   #29
SaberOne

Well, at ‘90-pounds soaking wet’ I would look at the LCR or possibly the S&W 317. In fact, I may opt this one as a pocket carry for myself...

Last edited by SaberOne; April 13, 2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:57 AM   #30
spacecoast

15 years old really isn't old at all in the gun world, as long as the revolver checks out and has been maintained reasonably well. I just bought this very nice model 60 (-7 version, but that's not critical), about 19 years old, for $350 from Gunbroker. Some people (me included) prefer the older models because they lack the internal lock, which most consider to be a useless complication with a non-zero (but miniscule) failure potential.

Note - this is a .38, not a .357, both of which shoot .38 ammo. I don't know if new Model 60s are available in .38 or not. I believe the .38 version might weigh a bit less than the .357 version.

Last edited by spacecoast; April 13, 2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old April 13, 2010, 10:03 AM   #31
SaberOne

Alrighty then! Since we now have two photos posted in this thread I couldn't resist...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0581.jpg (245.8 KB, 16 views)
Old April 13, 2010, 10:07 AM   #32
jglsprings

Quote:
Alrighty then! Since we now have to photos posted in this thread I couldn't resist...
I really think that pictures (or any other audio/visual aids) really change these forums from "email" to conversations. YMMV. Love those grips!

Commas save lives...
Old April 13, 2010, 10:09 AM   #33
spacecoast

SaberOne -

That's a beaut. Same for yours, jglsprings...
Old April 13, 2010, 12:47 PM   #34
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:
Have you considered a M60 instead?

I litterally laughed out loud when I read this. I realize what you really meant but, YES I WOULD LOVE HER TO CARRY AN M60... and an M249 Squad Assault Weapon under the other arm. She won't be fast, but who'll want to mess with THAT?!
Get her the gun of Rambo!
Old April 13, 2010, 03:43 PM   #35
johnwilliamson062

If you are going all steel might want to at last glance at an SP101...

WCS you buy it she doesn't like it and you play nice guy, take it over and buy her something else. You basically would be doing her a favor by buying a new gun. How much sweeter of a deal could you walk into?

Tags
.38 , 637 , airweight , female , smith and wesson