The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2010, 04:11 PM   #1
matt_3479

Reloading for 7mm and 300. wsm

My neighbor reloads and will reload for me. I need some new loads for my 7mm rem mag and my new 300. wsm. My 7mm is a Remington Model 700 BDL with a 24" barrel with a 1:9 1/4 twist. I is and will be mainly used for medium sized game. Its targets will be mainly Whitetail, Mule deer, sometimes caribou. I will take it black bear and moose hunting every once in a while but the main goal is Whitetail and mule. I was looking at 140 grain and 150 grain bullets. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Loads would be helpful. Shots have been from 75-over 500 yards with the average so far around 200+.

My 300. wsm is a Browning A-Bolt 23" barrel with a 1:10 twist. Its main purpose is Black bear, Moose and Caribou. Shots have been as close as 50 yards and have had chances up too 500 yards. Last year came across a black bear at 476 yards. Did not take the shot due to cubs. 2 years ago came across a couple bull moose at 506 and 511 yards. Last year came around a corner on the river and had a moose standing at 46 yards. I would around 180 grain bullet.
Old April 6, 2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I'll leave it to the others to suggest specific components. In the mean time, remember all rifles are individuals and you will need to work up to an optimal load in steps to find the best one. A good method can be learned by reading through Dan Newberry's site.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old April 6, 2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Matt_3479,

I have been loading for many years, and am real believer of one hunting bullet for each rifle, meaning I do not change bullets depending on the game critter I am hunting.

Many times I read of people who are asking if so & so rifle is too big for such and such critter.

My answer is, "there ain't no such thing as too dead!"

HOWEVER!!!!!!! there are a lot of bullets which lack integraty, meaning they will cause excessive meat damage with a bad hit.

I know that all or most of us don't aim for bad hits, but given enough hunts it will happen.

For your 7mag, I would without question go with a 160gr Nosler Partition or a bullet of equal quality/integraty.

On the 300 WSM again a Nosler Partition or bullet of equal quality in 165 or 180gr.

I would normaly go with the 180gr, but a few years ago had a rifle that had a bad barrel and I finally ended up using the 165.

With the quality of the Nosler, it works great. Velocities are in the 3200 - 3300fps range with my barrel.

The bullet is one of the cheapest parts of a hunt, don't use cheap (such as cup & core) bullets when dealing with the vel. possible with your rifles. A poor hit can cause greatly excessive meat damage, far greater then what happens with quality bullets such as the Nosler Partition.

As per powders, read a number of recent loading books, and choose the powders giving the best velocities to begin your tests.

Probably these will be powders like IMR 7828, H & IMR 4831, Reloader 19 & 22, 4350 and probably some others.

Powders like 4064, 4895 and others in that burning range, while VERY good powders, are not optimum for the two cartridges you have listed.

Some manuals will list which powder gave the best groups in their test barrel/rifle, but remember that may or may not be true for you rifle.

Only testing with your rifle, bullet, powder, primer, brass will tell.

Remember CONSISTANCY is a key word in safe, quality handloads.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old April 6, 2010, 05:57 PM   #4
49willys

7mm mag,175 grain Barnes tripple shock X bullets,IMR 4831.Start at the low charge and work up 1/2 grain at a time until you find the load that your gun likes.Look in your pal's reload books and choose a load,better yet,buy your own reloading gear and do it your self,lots of fun.
Old April 6, 2010, 10:39 PM   #5
thekyrifleman

Try H 4831, 69 gr and 140 gr Sierra Pro Hunter. It's over max in the latest manuals but I have used it for over 40 years with tremendous success. Through and through from 25 to 350 yds. Also might try the 140 gr Nosler BT with 66 gr of Reloader 19. Duplicates the Remington 140 factory loading. Killed a Caribou in N. Quebec with this load. Never knew what hit it. Also for more penetration try the 140 gr Nosler Accubond. It's been quoted as being as "accurate as the Ballistic Tip and hits like the Partition. All of the game you have listed are relatively thin skinned game so all that I have listed will do the job quite satisfactorily. BTW, these are all in a Rem 700, 24" barrel, 1965 vintage. Last note, start low and work up.
Old April 7, 2010, 11:06 AM   #6
matt_3479

Thank you to all that have answered so far. In case you guys were wondering i was looking i was debating mainly between the Nosler Accubonds and the Barnes TSX. I debated the Berger VLD's but i decided i wont need the extra price cause i wont be shooting 800-900 yards. I have heard the Accubonds and TSX work better at close range compared to the VLD's and still work great out to 600-700 yards.

I would like the 140-150 in the 7mm because of the smaller game being shot but also flatter trajectory. The reason im leaning over to the 150's is because of the higher BC. I was thinking 140 grain accubonds or even the Tipped TSX 150 grain. Which would you suggest? I really have heard fantastic things about both Barnes and Nosler but i hear more on accubonds then Tipped TSX. The nosler does have a higher BC, and will get faster velocity's. The shots will be on Mule and whitetail mainly and sometimes caribou. Shots from 75- over 500 yards.

A couple people have told me to shoot 200 grain accubonds but i dont think im going to go with that. I dont think there is much advantage from the 200 grain compared to the 180 grain. I think im going to stick with 180 grains. The only thing i having a serious debate over is the 180 grain accubonds, or the 180 grain Barnes. Both great bullets. This bullet will be used on moose weighing 700-1200 pounds. Bears from 150-500 pounds, and caribou. Shots from 50-over 500 yards. I really like the looks and stories of the Accubonds but someone told me to stick with the Accubonds for deer and TSX for moose? which bullet?
Old April 7, 2010, 07:58 PM   #7
langenc

Unless you shoot a lot (many hundred rounds/yr) you have no business shooting at game at over 400 yards-and probably less than that.
Old April 7, 2010, 09:19 PM   #8
plainsman456

I have used rl19 and rl17.Both with 180gr bullets.
Went up to 66.0grs of each and found they both shot well.Just work up for your rifle.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:54 AM   #9
GeauxTide

Crusty has it right. My own 7mmRM with standard bullets of 150gr and lighter is very explosive on deer sized animals. I switched to 150 Partitions.
Old April 8, 2010, 02:11 PM   #10
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Yep, No replacement for quality bullets!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not used the "bonded" bullets, but if what I read is correct, they should be good.

However, it is very hard to beat the Nosler Partition!

They along with the Bitteroot and a few others were for many years, the Gold Standard.

Look at the books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the down range figures.

In the long run, many times starting with the lighter bullets is false ecomomy.

They may start faster, but also loose steam faster.

On the other hand, choose the one your rifle shoots best.

I ended up with 165gr Noaler Partitions for one reason. The Browning 300 Win. Mag. I was loading for had such a bad barrel (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I finally settled on the 165 as the best load I could find.

I bought up a bunch of the 165 Partitions, so now with the RUGER Hawkeye and it's VERY GOOD barrel I am staying with that weight.

HOWEVER, were it not for the quality and integraty of the Nosler Partition, I WOULD be loading something heavier for this cartridge.

Also, the comment about shooting at distances of 400yds or more is extremely valid. That is a long shot on a good day and with a very good shooter and rifle.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot