The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2010, 07:39 PM   #1
whit

redding or forster single stage press

I'm trying to decide which single stage press to buy a Redding Boss II or a Forster. This will be my first press and want to buy a very good press. Need some Help.
Old April 5, 2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Bamashooter

out of those 2 i would go with the redding.
Old April 5, 2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Hog Buster

I have an old Bonanza, the forerunner of the Forster. Same press, except for color. I’ve been loading on mine for about 50 years. I’ve loaded uncounted thousands of rounds and never the slightest problem. Lost a few jaw springs over the years, but that wasn’t the fault of the press.
Old April 5, 2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Retooferab

I bought the Big Boss II because I knew nothing about the Forester. I have since seen the Forster in person and it is impressive. I like my BB II and am happy with it.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens firearms are indelibly related." - George Washington "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Ben Franklin
Old April 6, 2010, 07:54 PM   #5
sophijo

press

Either.........
Old April 6, 2010, 08:55 PM   #6
BigJakeJ1s

No contest: Forster Co-Ax.

The co-ax advantages: The floating snap-in/out die retention is both convenient and accurate. Universal case holder jaws handle most cartridges without having to change them. Optional conventional shell holder adapter is available if you like those too. Absolutely 100% effective spent primer and debris handling system keeps the grit well away from the guide rods and bearings for a long, accurate press life. The current model has a newer, larger handle yoke to clear even the tallest micrometer dies with ease. The standard handle has a versatile tubular gripped handle, while an optional, shorter ball-tipped handle is also available. The up-high, over-the top, down the middle handle movement suits me very well, but it is different than conventional press handle movement.

The co-ax negatives: Running a PM on a powder through expander die will not work on the co-ax (you can put a PM on top of the press, but you cannot operate the press at the same time, so all you can use it for is a convenient snap-in/out PM stand, like I do). T-handle collet type bullet pullers do not work on the co-ax (there is nothing holding it to resist turning as you try to tighten the collet.) Newer model from co-ax, and the Hornady cam-lock bullet puller work great. The handle motion may not suit you, especially if you are used to a conventional press.

If you want a conventional O-frame press, the Redding Big Boss II is very good. But for much less $$, the Lee Classic Cast (iron) press is just as good, if not better (adjustable handle length/swing/handedness).

Andy
Old April 6, 2010, 09:11 PM   #7
Jim243

+1 Foster Co-Axis
Old April 6, 2010, 09:48 PM   #8
Dis-1-Shooter

To the OP, what kind of reloading are you going to reload for? I have a RCBS Rockchucker and am very happy. If I had to do it all over again, it would be a Forster Co-Ax. Good luck and happy shooting!!!!!!
Old April 6, 2010, 10:07 PM   #9
amamnn

I can't say enough good things about Redding lately, but I still use the co-ax press.
Old April 6, 2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Tex S

coax
Old April 7, 2010, 06:07 AM   #11
Headgear

I posted a similar question about a couple of months ago. I ended up going with the Forester. I don'y have any experience with the Redding but I love the co-ax.

I wanted a press that would help me produce the most accurate rounds. Of-coarse its relative but some felt that the floating jaws would produce a straighter round. One thing that I am impressed with is the priming system. It does not matter how you lay the primer in the cup, it goes in straight and sets it below the head every time. Thats important if you are reloading for an auto loader like a Garand. Raised primers are one way to get a slamfire.

Again, I don't know anything about the Redding. I have a Dillon 650 and the co-ax and it doesn't take long operating either one to know they are serious and with Reddings reputation, I bet you can't go wrong there either.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old April 8, 2010, 06:38 PM   #12
whit

Set rings for Forster press

Thanks for the replies about the presses. The folks that have the Forster presses i read that you should use the steel set rings instead of the aluminum ones. Is that correct ? The aluminum ones have a set screw that uses a screw driver slot to tight it. The steal ones use a allen wrench. Also should i buy the short handle for the press.
Thamks Mike
Old April 8, 2010, 07:14 PM   #13
flashhole

I'll muddy the waters a bit, I really like the Redding Ultramag. It's built like a tank with very, very, tight tolerances. If you are using this press and having trouble with your reloads, you can't blame it on the press.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:08 PM   #14
BigJakeJ1s

Both Hornady steel and Forster aluminum cross-bolt lock rings work well in the co-ax, but you are correct, the Forster has phillips head cross-bolts, while the Hornady has allen head cross-bolts. Unlike a conventional press, when the die and lock ring are in place on the co-ax, both are free to spin in the die slot. So when you go to put pressure on the phillips head cross-bolt to tighten it, the ring and bolt just spin away from you, unless you hold it with a finger or thumb. The allen head does not need nearly the in-line force, so it does not tend to rotate the lock rings and/or die body. The Forster cross-bolts can be replaced with socket-head cap screws at the hardware store easily enough. The only drawback to the Hornady lock rings is that if you position the flats on the sides when you slide the die into the press, the ball-detent device does not capture the die, and can let it float out in the slot too much. Position the lock ring flats fore and aft, and it is not a problem. Here again, since the die is not threaded into the press, you are not limited as to how the die and lock ring are oriented in the press.

As for the short, ball-tipped handle for the co-ax, I tried it, and rarely use it. I like the multiple hand positions that the standard tubular gripped handle provides better.

Andy
Old April 8, 2010, 10:32 PM   #15
Hog Buster

I’ve got both steel and aluminum rings and can’t tell the difference. Once locked on the die neither move. I also have a bunch of different brand dies and have replaced the rings on them with steel or aluminum Forster type rings.

If you decide to get the Co-ax, get the extra jaws and a half dozen jaw springs. That way you can load anything and have spare jaw springs when you let one fly across the room, and believe me you will........

I never used the short handle, kinda like the leverage with the long one.

Last edited by Hog Buster; April 8, 2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old April 9, 2010, 08:06 AM   #16
Sevens

The Forster Co-Ax is a very cool machine and nothing else out there is at all like it. But the Redding, while probably a fine machine in it's own right, offers nothing that I can see over a Lee Classic Cast, which is the biggest bang for the buck in all of single stage press-dom.

IMO, if it doesn't offer something significant over a Lee Classic Cast, it's not worth the (quite a bit) extra cash.

So if choosing between the two you listed, it's Forster Co-Ax all the way with the race not even close.
Old April 9, 2010, 09:54 AM   #17
Sam06

I've been reloading for 35 years and have used several brands of SS and turret Presses. For a turret Press the Redding is the way to go but for a SS I would take a Co-ax over anything. They take a little getting used to but they really do a good job and are easy to use. Like it was stated above get some extra springs and the LS jaw set if you load for 45-70 and 22 Hornet. You will not be disappointed. I have had mine for 20 years and it was used when I got it(Its a Bonanza).