The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2010, 04:50 PM   #1
RjjR454

One time Gun owner needs help getting back on the horse

I have been around guns (mostly handguns) my whole life and was left several of my father's guns when he past away. I was up to around 12 or 13 at one point (non of the chap guns). As time went buy and bills and other **** came up the collection sowly desolved and left me with none. Most regretable losing my Dad's guns they were his pride on joy. Anyway I am now 25 and hav not owned a handgun in over 2 years or even shot in almost as long. I dont know if the ecomomy is turning around or not but I just got back to work (STEADY, PERMANENT, WORK).
I Loved the 2 sigs I owned ("239 .357"/"229 .40") but as much as I love sigs they are a little out of my price range even used. Last time I really looked (about 3years ago) a used p229 .40cal. was going for around 500-600. I recently found a Llama mini-max .45 but I have heard only bad things about them PLUS they wanted $395 and it was used! I also found a sig p228 two-tone IN MY PRICE RANGE (less than 400) "but" the 2 problems with it are A: its only a 9mm (of course 228) and B: its two-tone which I think is a little ugly.
Ok so now for the Questions:
What are the chances of finding a .357 or .40cal sig for under $400 "used"?
Does anyone have a suggestion of another "QUALITY" pistol in that range?
Or should I snag that two-tone 228 even though its a 9mm?
Old April 5, 2010, 05:03 PM   #2
iblong

If your just getting back on your feet the 228 would be a wise buy if you dont reload,ammo is less expensive therefore you can practice more a become
a better shot and the 9 is still a viable self defence round.
Old April 5, 2010, 05:14 PM   #3
lambertsteeth

If the 228 is in decent shape, buy it. You will not lose money on it. All metal Sigs under 400 are few and far between, if they are in good shape. Sig is making poly guns now. Budsgunshop.com is about the best prices I have found.
Other quality guns under 400 bucks? Ruger makes reliable stuff. Smith makes reliable stuff. Many people say really good stuff about cz.
Old April 5, 2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Webleymkv

In a Sig, probably the most bang for your buck is the Sig Pro series with polymer frames. My dad bought a very lightly used Sig Pro 2009 9mm a few years ago for $300.
Old April 5, 2010, 06:03 PM   #5
ATW525

Nothing wrong with 9mm. It's a nice shooting caliber and the P228 is a great platform for launching it. I agree that two-tone Sigs are ugly, though.

As for other options, I've often seen used Glocks and 3rd Gen S&W autoloaders in your price range. Police trade-ins are usually quality pistols that have been carried lots, shot little and liquidated at bargain basement prices.
Old April 5, 2010, 06:06 PM   #6
RjjR454

Thank you. I really wanted the sig when I saw the price but I did not want to rush into it just based n price being that the were aspects of the gun I wasent real fond of. Truth be told what caught my eye was I thought it was a 229. I wasent 2 worried about losing money on it just didnt want to get something I wasnt sure of without considering other options. You guys kinda just told me what i was already thinking maybe i just needed reassuring.

And I did own a ruger p95 ambi decocker very reliable gun but didnt like carrying it or shooting it (could feel spring vibration through the thin plastic handle)
I never owned a s&w but always wanted a lady smith or that one that would auto chamber a round when you sqeezed the grip... what was that gun? I was real young but remember my dad reading about it when it came out.
Taurus' are cheaper but had a bad experience with a pt-101

My mind is almost made up about just grabbing the sig but I have till this weekend before I go get something so Im still open to suggestions!
Old April 5, 2010, 06:11 PM   #7
FALshootist

Sorry to hear you sold all of your dad's (his pride on joy) guns. Sorry no words of wisdom to cure that.

But Llamas are **** save your money for a quality gun and hope your kids dont sell it.

SIG or Glock is probably the way to go. Their reliable accurate and the Glocks are pretty much impervious to harsh weather or other bad conditions.
Old April 5, 2010, 06:33 PM   #8
jman841

Another option if you really like the Sig type weapon might be an FNP-40. They are excellent pistols and can be had in the low 400's new. not sure what the used market is for them. I am currently debating between a Gen 4 Glock 19 or FNX-9 for my next purchase once they are both available, hopefully soon.
Old April 5, 2010, 06:38 PM   #9
RjjR454

FALshootist:
Thanks buddy just to clear it up My dad died when I was 17 and my mom died when i was 18 (I was still in high school) i had to work full time and pay my own rent and bills (while still in high school) Its no excuse i feel horrible about selling my dads guns. so thanks for the low blow. I have a 1 year old son now so pretty much everything you said hit a nerve.
Im not mad just dont think I sold them for beer money or gas of drugs or anything it was to keep a roof over my head and the lights on!
Old April 5, 2010, 06:59 PM   #10
RjjR454

Okay since alot of you here seem to agree that the 9mm is a viable defense round, if I did buy a 9mm pistol what is the best round? (brand, grain, exc.)
Old April 5, 2010, 08:03 PM   #11
ReNtaPiG

I bought my SIG P250 new for $499 primarily in .45ACP...now once the Caliber X-change kits become readily available which can't seem to get a date from SIG on that the P250 can be ANY caliber (9,40,357,45) in ANY size (sub,compact,full)

http://www.sigsauer.com/products/Sho...&productid=183
Old April 5, 2010, 08:05 PM   #12
shortwave

RjjR454,
FWIW
I feel your pain for having to sell dad's guns. Your not the first or last to be put in that situation.

Those are days gone by. Whats most important is the days to come. Glad your starting over as I'm sure you'll enjoy teaching your son well. Dads like you are what helps to insure our future 2nd Amend. rights.

As for a good SD 9MM round, I like Speer Gold Dot 124gr.
Also, todays 9mm ammo has come along way in the past 5-7yrs. Heck I still like the 127gr Hydro Shocks.

If you decide against the Sig., maybe a used 9mm in a Berreta f series.
Old April 5, 2010, 08:50 PM   #13
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
Okay since alot of you here seem to agree that the 9mm is a viable defense round, if I did buy a 9mm pistol what is the best round? (brand, grain, exc.)
I carry Cor-Bon DPX's in my Kel-Tec PF-9. In the Sig I would look strongly at Federal 124-gr HSTs or Tactical Bonded. You can often get Federal 115-gr range ammo at Wal-Mart for under $10 per box.

Oh, yeah, and another vote for the 228. One of the finest pistols ever made. If you can't live with the color scheme, have it dura-coated to whatever cranks your tractor.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own personal safety; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths, Chief Instructor, Advanced Force Tactics, Inc. (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old April 6, 2010, 02:44 AM   #14
Elvishead

Quote:
I like Gold Dot HPs because they are accurate and feed very well in my guns, never a jam.
Old April 6, 2010, 04:56 AM   #15
Love&Hate12

Shop around a little. Good deals can be had right now.

Any Glock, Sig, Smith, CZ or Ruger will do you well in the accuracy/durability/reliability departments. Settling for a piece of junk like a Llama will create frustrations that won't help getting back into the groove of shooting regularly, ha.

And I can sympathize with having to sell off good stuff in hard times. In 2007-2008 I personally was hit hard with financial troubles and had to sell:

A Sig P220, Sig p226, Glock 19, S&W 5906, Arsenal AK, HK USP .40c, two good shotguns and a gorgeous Colt Python.

Just recently got back into shooting/owning a firearm myself.

Good luck.
Old April 6, 2010, 03:31 PM   #16
dgludwig

I recommend looking for a "Third Generation" Smith & Wesson semi-auto pistol in good condition (reasonably priced police trade-ins can still be readily found-though that source is slowly drying up). There were many variations and calibers produced in this fine line of recently discontinued pistols, one of which should surely meet your wants and price range.

Tags
advice , suggestions