The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Darksith

question about Winchester Magnums

I looked for the forum topic called stupid questions but I couldn't find its getting posted here.

Winchester is a brand, but now it has taken on being a general name for bullets? Winchester short mag, and .300 winchester mag. Are these just common names, even if the gun or ammo isn't made by winchester? I hope my stupid question makes sense to someone? Is it like kleenex and tissue?
Old April 5, 2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Cartridges are often named according to the company that first introduced them to the consumer market.

Rounds like the .243 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, .338 Federal, .444 Marlin, and .40 Smith & Wesson are so named.

Other rounds, like the .38 Special and the .357 Magnum, have become so common place and so pervasive that the name of the originating company, in both cases Smith & Wesson, has been largely dropped.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 5, 2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Rampant_Colt

Winchester does make the .300 Win Mag and .300 Short Mag. They're both 'proprietary', meaning that Winchester gets paid a royalty if another company uses their cartridge and name

Winchester also manufactures many other .30 caliber CARTRIDGES from other companies like Remington. Winchester also manufactures bullets, brass, powder, primers & wads

I suggest picking up a copy of Cartridges of the World , and reading through that for some good reading and excellent information
Old April 5, 2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Scorch

Winchester is/was a firearms manufacturer. As such, they designed cartridges for their firearms, and those cartridges bear their name as the originators/designers of the cartridge (30 Winchester Centerfire, 32 Winchester Special, 405 Winchester, 300 Winchester Magnum, etc). Winchester also sells/sold ammunition and components under their trademark name, like some other armsmakers.

Winchester ammunition and components are manufactured/distributed by Olin under the Winchester trademark, they are not made by the same company that makes the firearms. Many years ago, the various parts of Winchester Repeating Arms Company were acquired by Olin Corporation (a metallurgy company). Winchester ammo, powder, primers, bullets were spun off from the Winchester Repeating Arms Company many years ago.
Taylor Machine