The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 5, 2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Bolt action 30-30... thoughts on this old savage ???

Ran across several of these on Gun Broker while looking at Savage Model 30's...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=163000442

never seen one, but got me curious... anyone here shoot one ??? I'd think they would be a great deer gun, could be pretty accurate, pretty practical with the detachable magazine... but had never even heard of this one...

thoughts ???
Old April 5, 2010, 08:27 AM   #2
jdscholer

I almost bought one way back when. They were always kind of a budget rifle, nothing wrong with that, but almost any other center fire bolt gun gives you a much better cartridge for the money. I suppose that the new "Leverution" ammo helps some, but I'd rather have a 308 or similar cartridge instead. jd
Old April 5, 2010, 08:36 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

way back when... when we took over my father in law's collection... I thought it would be good to offer up ( at a reasonable market price ) any of his guns that relatives & close friends of his had used, or used to belong to their side of the family, before he bought them etc... I ended up parting with 3 old 30-30 Winchesters to family members & friends of his... so now, I have my 30-30 Contender barrel, but no rifle in that caliber... I have been looking at older Marlins ( as that was my 1st rifle... that in the ignorance of youth, I traded for a CB radio set up back in the 70's )... but ran across these & being easily as much a bolt action guy, as a lever action shooter, & an avid handloader, I thought the bolt / box magazine gun in 30-30 might offer some interesting non Lever Evelution loading possibilities

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; April 5, 2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old April 5, 2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Sam06

I have a savage 340 and it is a great rifle. You can handload spitzer bullets in it and it will shoot with a 300 Savage all day long. I like shooting lead bullets with trail boss and its like a poor mans rook rifle. Until i got a 32-20 this was my favorite woods walking gun with light loads. I have a Receiver Sight on mine. They are nice fun rifles and for the money shoot very good to boot. Try to find one of the older ones that have nice wood and no checkering.
Old April 5, 2010, 03:41 PM   #5
Abel

I think they're sweet. I'd much rather have one of these than a Stevens 200.
Old April 5, 2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Scorch

Savage 325s and 340s are kind of cute, and typically very accurate. The one you linked to is waaaay overpriced, typically you see them for sale for about 1/2 that.

One problem is scope mounting. They are not drilled/tapped, and no one makes a scope mount for it. Another problem is the triggers. Factory triggers are pretty bad. No one is going to make specialty parts for a gun that has been out of production for 40 years.
Taylor Machine
Old April 5, 2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Abel

Quote:
One problem is scope mounting. They are not drilled/tapped, and no one makes a scope mount for it
They are drilled and tapped in many instances for this mount:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=146614
Old April 5, 2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

Cool... scope mounts... but my local gun smith buddy could drill & tap if needed, & I actually saw a couple of them listed, that had Lyman peep sights mounted on them, which I think I'd prefer for the range of the rifle & it's normal use...
Old April 5, 2010, 10:17 PM   #9
Fat White Boy

I inherited one from my father. I put a 4X fixed power scope on it. I worked up a load for it using 110gr bullets, got it up to around 2500fps... Shoots good!!
Old April 5, 2010, 10:32 PM   #10
tjh

Got a 325c in 30-30 , bushnell 3x9 scope handloaded 125gr. hollow points for varmint control .
Old April 6, 2010, 01:55 AM   #11
bamaranger

I think they're neat old rifles. They provide the universal std of 30-30 power, w/o the hassle of half cock safety/external hammer, and having to cycle the action for every round to clear the rifle as with the Winlin's.

The whole range of .30 cal projectiles is available to the handloader. Many of the ones I see are missing the mag. I believe a bolt 30-30 makes a great utility and starter rifle. Since none are currently made, a bolt x39 rifle is a likely second choice.
Old April 9, 2010, 12:43 PM   #12
GWMENT

Savage 30-30

I have 2 of this model. 1 was a gift from my grandfather and is probably 60 years old. Still shoot wonderfully and has hit everything that walked or crawled in front of it. The 2nd one is my wife's. She doesn't shoot as much with it since I bought her a Walther P22 w/ a Laser sight, but she still will pull it out every so often to put a round downrange at times.

Both are very dependable and are a great first rifle for the younger bunch.

Enjoy!