The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 3, 2010, 08:17 PM   #1
erob3

Smith & Wesson Model 17 .22 caliber

Hey everyone, My father has this model revolver and he has asked me to try and find out what it's worth. It has the 8 3/8" inch barrel and is a model 17-4 It has the original wooden grips along with the original box and papers. The condition is 98%. He has a Gun blue book but he feels that something like this may be worth more than what the book says. I have searched Gunbroker and have found several with the 6" barrel but not the 8 3/8" barrel. Any help is appreciated.
Old April 3, 2010, 08:26 PM   #2
James K
Staff

The auction sites and the Blue Book are as good as any for a value estimate, and the Blue Book does add $50 for the 8 3/8" barrel. In general, the barrel length does not add any great value, and in fact could hurt a potential sale because few people want that extra length. While odd barrel lengths are often described as "rare" or "uncommon", that usually does not add up to much in dollar terms. In fact, for a shooting gun, a normal barrel length is likely to bring more money and sell faster for the simple reason that most folks like the "normal" barrel; that is why it is the "normal" barrel.

Jim
Old April 3, 2010, 08:28 PM   #3
oneounceload

If the Blue Book is current, then the pricing should be fairly accurate, since most folks use that to set the price.

You might try other gun sales sites. If they're auction sites, look for closed auctions to see what they actually sold for. Over-priced, unsold guns will not give you an accurate picture
Old April 3, 2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Here's $5 worth of free advice: don't sell it. The current model 617 revolvers, supposedly the model 17's replacement, aren't their equal. Given reasonable care, there's no reason your gun shouldn't be shootable four or five generations hence. They're dandy shooters!
Old April 3, 2010, 09:53 PM   #5
orionengnr

I'm just taking a stab here, but I had a very nice M17 6" (built in 1955) about three years ago.

I bought it for $450 and sold it a year later for the same. Kinda wish I'd kept it, but I subsequently bought an M18 4" and I really didn't need two .22LR revolvers. I prefer the 4" model.

Honestly, I think the 8 3/8" barrel is more of a liability (with any S&W revolver) and is likely to seriously diminsh the number of interested buyers.
Old April 11, 2010, 07:35 PM   #6
jaybirdjtski

Yes! Don't sell it. You can get an idea of pricing by looking on www.gunbroker.com. Often you'll see high reserve prices and no bids. I have an older Model 17, 6" bbl and I love it. Fun and accurate.
I'd guess, to the right party and if it is in really good shape, say 95% or better, $650 or more.
Old April 12, 2010, 08:57 AM   #7
johnbt

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=162322992

There were 21 bids and it sold for $580.01

Fired a little, but like new, no box, etc.

I have a 17-4 with a 2x Burris scope on it. It was one of my father's favorite guns (still is, but he's 88 and quit shooting) along with a 6" Python. I have the box, too.

John