The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 31, 2010, 10:13 PM   #1
cowboy_711

German .22 Revolver Identification Help

Hi everyone, I need some help. I recently recieved a .22 revolver from my grandpa that I need some help identifying. He bought it at an estate auction many years ago and does not know anything about it either.

It is a six shot revolver and it has "Germany" stamped on the bottom side of the barrel. It also has "LA's Deputy" stamped on the bottom of the grip butt. I'm assuming that this means that it was once used in LA as an issued sidearm...maybe not.

There are also three small symbols stamped on the left side, just below the cylinder. The first one is a small symbol that I can't make out but it has a "N" below it. This symbol is also stamped on the left side of the barrel. The second one is some kind of net or something. And the final one is a shield with "64" inside. I assume that this one means that the revolver was made in 1964. Serial number is 108032

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Here are some pics

Attached Images
File Type: jpg German .22.JPG (161.6 KB, 1675 views)
File Type: jpg Side.JPG (126.0 KB, 1646 views)
File Type: jpg Bottom.JPG (89.3 KB, 1640 views)

Last edited by cowboy_711; March 31, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old March 31, 2010, 10:29 PM   #2
RJay

No it was never used as a police issue firearm. It is just one of a slew of inexpensive firearms imported in the 60's and 70's to cut into Ruger"s and Colt's sales. Because the German Mark was so much under valued at the time these guns could be sold much cheaper than their American counterparts. The quality doesn't measure up to Ruger or Colt either. There where three major German makers for these guns, Sauer and Son, Herbert Schmidt, and Rohm. My money would be on Herbert Schmidt of Ostheim ,
West Germany. Regardless of which firm manufactured it value is minimal, 125 to 150 if like new in the box down to 25 to 45 if in poor condition.
Old March 31, 2010, 10:44 PM   #3
cowboy_711

Thanks for the info. I would have found it weird if it was used as an issued sidearm. Any ideas why it would have the LA's Deputy stamped on the bottom? To make it more appealing to the public? It shows quite a bit of wear, but it functions fine and shoots really well. I was actually surprised at how well it shot. I didn't think I would be able hit the broad side of a barn with it, but its not bad. It's kinda fun to shoot. And I don't mind the value as I do not intend to sell it.
Old March 31, 2010, 10:55 PM   #4
RJay

These firearms used a number of fancy names such as , Buffalo Scout, Marshall series, Ranger, Texas Ranger. Just a name to add mystic and spice up advertising .