The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 29, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1
fsfty

AR-15 help....

I've got my AK, Deer Rifle, Shotgun and .22, so now I would like to get an AR-15. I would like to spend no more $1,200, if thats possible. I would be looking to buy a complete gun, not assemble uppers, lowers, etc. I would guess I would aput a red dot on it. Can you guys recommend a quality gun? Oh, I live in NY, so I would assume I would legal issues with mags, etc that most people don't have to deal with . Thanks.
Old March 29, 2010, 12:35 PM   #2
SCcdp

If you are going to spend that much you've pretty much got all manner of options. You can't go wrong with DPMS , Bushmaster or Rock River Arms. What are you looking for exactly? I'd check out those three companies websites to get some idea of what kind of AR you'd like to have and then shop around for price. You can probably get exactly what you're looking to get for less than 1200.
Old March 29, 2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Quentin2

Take a look at this current thread:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404453

Even if you buy a complete rifle, knowing what parts are important to you is crucial. There are many excellent ARs for sale but learn the differences and set your budget. Take your time, research and you'll find good choices.

Definitely go out and look at what's on the shelf in NY. You'll see what is legal but learn the local laws too in case you want to order something out of state. You'll also see what's available, brands, models and of course pricing.
Old March 29, 2010, 12:39 PM   #4
fsfty

Thanks...do they sell 'ny legal" ar's as completed rifles, like they do with AK's? Are there pre-ban mags, etc, like there are with AK's? Thanks again.
Old March 29, 2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Quentin2

Yes, many manufacturers have "post ban" or "compliant" versions that have been neutered of "evil" features like a removable magazine, flash hider, bayonet lug, pistol grip, etc. I don't know how the law works if you are able to buy a preban magazine.
Old March 29, 2010, 12:51 PM   #6
Vt.birdhunter

Quote:
.do they sell 'ny legal" ar's as completed rifles, like they do with AK's? Are there pre-ban mags, etc, like there are with AK's?
Yes, I got both my AR's in NY, both are compliant. Here is what to look for:

1. New 10 round mags, or pre ban 20s and 30s are all ok.
2. If the rifle you are looking at has something at the end of its barrel, make sure its identified as muzzle brake, not a "flash hider" or "flash suppressor".
3. No bayonet lug.
4. No collapsing stocks (pre-bans ok, or collapsing stocks that have been "pinned" so that they cannot be used as such)

Pistol grips and removable mags are ok, NY not as bad as CA

I could be missing something, I feel like I am.

When picking as AR, decide what you want it for, they make them in all sizes, configurations and weights (I have a Carbon 15 from bushmaster that weighs 3.9 lbs, my varmint set up weighs 10 lbs.

Decide on this rifles role in your life and choose components that are important to you.
Old March 29, 2010, 03:23 PM   #7
fsfty

Thanks for everyone's help. The AR would be mainly for shooting paper, but i would want it to also be a SHTF rifle. I liked the M-4's I saw online. Does anyone have an opinion on those?
Old March 29, 2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Vt.birdhunter

BTW, Im pretty sure flat-tops only, no carry handles.

The M4 is going to be a bit short and light for a good benchrest or range gun, it would be nice to lug around the woods if you had to. As a platform for a "SHTF" rifle, there are better.

For $1200, if I was looking for a range gun and a TEOTWAKI rifle, look at a .308, look at the M1A, IMO, not looking to start a .223 VS .308 thing.
Old March 30, 2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Quentin2

For an AR-15 I like the M4 clones. A buddy has a lightweight 14.5" model that's real easy to maneuver. I also like my 16" midlength with a heavier barrel but it is a pound heavier and more barrel heavy. Really, both have many positives so you have to handle a lot of ARs and decide for yourself. Definitely get a "flattop", usually called the A3 or A4 version, not A1 or A2.
Old March 30, 2010, 04:15 PM   #10
greyson97

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/36914

i think this is the neutered version
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/53497

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old March 30, 2010, 04:18 PM   #11
ghostman1960

I know you dont want to put one together, but I started off by purchasing this complete S&W lower from a local shop. I replaced the M4 stock with a Magpul MOE stock.

Then I got a good deal on a new DSA mid length upper with a heavy fluted barrel. The BCG I used is of a unknown mfgr. I put a set of Cav Arms C6 hand guards on it and a Magpul BUS. I topped it off with a Bushnell 1x32 Acog clone red dot sight. It is built like a tank and is a surprisingly good optic. After all that I wound up with this for less than $800.00