The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2010, 07:06 PM   #1
loganclj

Springfield pocket pistol ?

Over the last year I have become a die hard springfield armory fan. I am the proud owner of a xdm .40. I would love to get a compact carry gun in 380. I have held the sub compact xd and they are a long way away from a pocket pistol. I have been wondering why springfield doesnt develop a more compact carry pistol. Anybody else thought about this.
Old March 29, 2010, 07:12 PM   #2
James K
Staff

Well, developing a new line is expensive, the market is up to here in compact .380 pistols, and Springfield is probably selling all their current guns they can make. Those might be good reasons, but dropping them a letter expressing interest in a future product might help.

Jim
Old March 29, 2010, 09:08 PM   #3
spodwo

The last thing we need is another .380...there are SO many out there PLUS Springfield imports their pistols and they wouldn't be able to import a .380 the same reason Glock can't import their .380 as it doesn't have enough "import points" for ATF.

Here is the ATF import points listing:

CHARATERISTIC POINTS

Overall Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1

Forged Steel Frame 15

Forged HTS Alloy Frame 20

Unloaded Weight w/mag (per ounce) 1

.22 Short & .25 Auto 0

.22 LR - .380 Auto 3

9mm Parabellum & over 10

Locked Breech Mechanism 5

Loaded Chamber Indicator 5

Grip Safety 3

Magazine Safety 5

Firing Pin Block or Lock 10

External Hammer 2

Double Action 10

Drift Adjustable Target Sight 5

Click Adjustable Sight 10

Target Grips 5

Target Trigger 2

Having said all of the above - if they made it here - they could sell it but I don't think they see enough market to incure the expense. They recently announced their XDm 3.8". There are just WAY too many mini .380s available now. Smith is coming out with a real nice looking one in May...

The Bodyguard with built in laser.

Old March 29, 2010, 09:11 PM   #4
B18C5-EH2

Glock doesn't offer a true subcompact single stack pistol (don't say Glock 36 - it's large length/height wise and still fat) either...you'd think they'd get the idea with brands like Kahr Arms selling for a hundred-two hundred dollars more than most Glocks!

Sometimes what "makes sense" to we, the consumers, doesn't make sense to the gun manufacturers.
Old March 29, 2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I have been wondering why springfield doesnt develop a more compact carry pistol.
Not taking a magazine for gospel, but it's one reason why I don't think they should....
American Rifleman ran a series of tests with the pocket pistols mainly chambered in .380. Out of the several they tested, only one (IIRC) didn't have reliability issues. That's right. A gun "rag" stating they had reliability issues...on not one, but several of them. After all these years, several companies still seem unable to provide a consistently reliable small pistol of that size.

If I were Springfield, I would stay as far away from pocket pistols as I possibly could. It isn't worth all the R&D costs to come up with one since their entire lineup is doing quite well.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 30, 2010, 06:22 PM   #6
loganclj

Very good comments, thats the kind of input i wanted to hear. I didnt realize all the problems with many of the pocket pistols out today. I guess i will get that thought out of my head. Thanks to all who posted
Old March 31, 2010, 07:31 AM   #7
Whirlwind06

Springfield doesn't actually make anything. They import their pistols maybe do final assembly here don't really know. If they see the market for a subcompact pistol I'm sure they will start importing one.

But then again maybe that is why they don't have one. Isn't there a "point" system to import pistols? That is why we can't get a Glock in .380. So maybe they can't import a small compact .380 or 9mm.
Old March 31, 2010, 08:25 AM   #8
spodwo

Quote:
Isn't there a "point" system to import pistols? That is why we can't get a Glock in .380. So maybe they can't import a small compact .380 or 9mm.
You apparently did read this thread...see above...
Old March 31, 2010, 11:56 AM   #9
Whirlwind06

Pardon me for restating what you said. Oh the humanity...
Old March 31, 2010, 12:00 PM   #10
jknight8907

Wouldn't Springfield make up the 3 points they'd lose with a .380 because they get 3 points for the grip safety that Glock doesn't? Or am I not understanding the system right.
Old March 31, 2010, 08:00 PM   #11
awpk03s

Everybody and their mom makes a pocket pistol these days. Think about it from a business decision standpoint - SA would have to invest in production tooling for the various components of the pistol, absorb the cost of R&D to design the pistol, and then market and sell it. Now - however much that costs, they'd have to sell enough pistols to make enough profit to offset that cost in an acceptable length of time for a pass-able rate of return.

The market is dominated by pocket guns already: Kahr, Kel-Tec, Ruger, S&W, Taurus, Walther, Seecamp, Rohrbaugh, NAA, etc. etc. Their offering would have to be good enough and different enough to get buyers to look at it instead of one of the other guns out there already. Unless you have a good differentiating factor or you're first to act in a segment - it likely doesn't make good $ sense.