The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 28, 2010, 08:21 PM   #1
loganclj

cz 83 380 auto

Any coments on the cz 83 380 auto. I am interested in a compact handgun for concealed carry and i have become a fan of cz rifles. I have heard great things about other cz handguns, but not this one. Any coments appreciated.
Old March 28, 2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Chesster

The surplus market has the milspec version CZ82 in 9x18 at about half the cost and ammo is much more available and cheaper. I had an 83 in .380 in the early 90s. It worked good but I traded it for a Sig 230 which was a lot lighter and at the time, mags were easier to get for the Sig. I have three of the CZ82 and they are great shooters. Unless you have NEW gun fever, the 82 would soothe your hankerin'.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 28, 2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Beentown71

I have the CZ82... the 83's older brother. I absolutely enjoy mine. I would look into it and save a good deal of money.

I paid $229, received best of five, two mags, a very useful holster, and a very reliable/accurate pistol.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old March 28, 2010, 08:51 PM   #4
dairycreek

This is a pic of my CZ83 which I have had for several years. During that time I have put several hundred rounds through it with no problems of any kind. I have put many, many +P 380 rounds throuh it with no apparent effect.

It has been a reliable and accurate in my hands and I recommend it highly.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old March 29, 2010, 05:40 AM   #5
PSP

The CZ83 is an OK pistol, ambidexterous, reliable and accurate. I've never really appreciated the hard plastic grips though. It is a pretty heavy gun when compared to other sized .380 pistols, and not very slim due to the double mag. If I were looking for a carry gun in .380 of this size, I'd look to the much lighter Beretta 84, or it's slimmer brother model 85. My 83, and 82 for that matter, gave me hammer bite, which is quite annoying.

IMHO there are better choices for a carry gun:

You give up some magazine capacity but the Sig P232 is a whopping 10 ounces lighter, just as reliable and accurate and carries easier.

The Beretta 84 is almost the exact same size, lighter, has higher magazine capacity and a wide range of grip options.

The Bersa Plus offers a ligher carry, higher capacity in a similar sized package.

All of the above have a decocker, which the CZ lacks. All are DA/SA.
Old March 29, 2010, 09:33 AM   #6
LarryFlew

Ditto on better 380's for carry weight wise etc BUT, love my CZ's including my 83 in .32 but it's a better range gun than carry.

Also have PCR, 75B nickel and Witness 45 compact (CZ in disguise)
Old March 29, 2010, 05:45 PM   #7
raftman

+1 on the "get a CZ-82 in 9x18 instead" advice. The guns are almost identical, so why pay twice as much for a gun that's chambered for a slightly weaker, more expensive, and less available round?
Old March 30, 2010, 02:42 AM   #8
106RR

Mine is a blue 380 with night sights and a trigger by Eagleshield. I have three mags (all 10 rd) due to local restrictions. It is very accurate and legal for IDPA "BUG" despite it's 3.8 inch bbl. The most accurate ammo is the Fiocchi jhp. With this ammo it will hold tight even at 25 yds.
380 blasting ammo is hard to get right now, but combat loads are,while expensive, easily available. The advantage of the 380 is that most upgraded ammo will be in that caliber. DPX, Power Ball. Golden Saber, Glaser, Magsafe Guardian are all in 380 not in 9 Mak. The CZ 83 has the fine ergonomics to make you a little more accurate than your skill level. Most other 380s do not have the ergos. The Sig is by far the prettiest 380 on the market but has no
slide release and a Euro style mag release on the butt. The Beretta is well made but the front sight which is integral to the slide and will block installation of night sites. The Bersa is cheap and reliable but has a lot of sharp edges. None of the commercial 380s will hold a candle the CZ in accuracy or ergonomics. The CZ is by far the most effective 380.
Old March 30, 2010, 06:34 AM   #9
CWPinSC

My wife has one and loves it. It's reliable and accurate. Well built. The two down-checks for carry is it's heavy and big for a .380. If you're gonna carry something that size, you can easily go up in caliber. If you want to carry a .380, there are smaller, lighter options out there.
Old March 31, 2010, 11:53 PM   #10
106RR

CZ 83 has a couple of other unusual advantages, dual ambidexterous magazine release and dual ambidexterous thumb safeties. The hammer normally rides a little back off the slide easing the first double action pull.
Old April 1, 2010, 12:54 AM   #11
ballardw

I love mine but wish mags were more affordable. It is large enough that I wouldn't call it compact unless compared to full size service type pistols.

I don't remember the author but an article I read implied the CZ83 is a good choice in places that restrict military calibers such as 9mm and 9x18.

If I ever win the lottery for a bunch I'll probably have to get one of the .32 ACP versions as well.
Old April 1, 2010, 06:06 AM   #12
PSP

Quote:
If I ever win the lottery for a bunch I'll probably have to get one of the .32 ACP versions as well.
The .32acp is very susceptible to rimlock unless certain ammo is used and/or the newer redesigned rimlock resistant magazines are used. Just a caution... it's a fun gun to shoot, but can be frustrating.

Last edited by PSP; April 1, 2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old April 1, 2010, 05:04 PM   #13
agtman

Here's a CZ82 M&P (9mm Mak), in the rare "Commie Commando" duo-tone O.D. green & FDE.

Old April 1, 2010, 05:13 PM   #14
bubba15301

i have owned a .32acp pistol over twenty years never had a rimlock
Old April 1, 2010, 06:34 PM   #15
raftman

Never experienced any rim-lock issues with .32auto either, even with HP's.
Old April 1, 2010, 06:49 PM   #16
vladan

Quote:
Quote:

the issue was earlier version of CZ83 double stack magazine ...later version is fine as are single stacks in most .32
Old April 1, 2010, 08:19 PM   #17
PSP

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
This is off topic, but'

Are either of you two gentlemen refering to the CZ83 specifically as I was? I too have several other .32acp pistols that have never developed rimlock. However there are exceptions and the CZ83 is one of them. There are reasons it happens and CZ took steps to correct it with a mag redesign, just as Keltec did.

I've put thousands of rounds through a .32 CZ83, believe me, rimlock is a possibility when you have the old magazines. With corrected mags and certain ammo the problem goes away and the gun is properly reliable and fun.

Edit;
Here's a pic of the redesigned CZ83 .32acp mags, correcting the problem by limiting the forward movement of the rounds. I wonder if a spacer could be added to the old mags, and maybe by replacing the follower with a new one.

Last edited by PSP; April 3, 2010 at 07:21 AM.