The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 28, 2010, 07:01 PM   #1
mhuegerich

What's the deal with Sig CPO's???

So...

A few months ago I was browsing in a gun store and came across a used Sig P226 for $489. This was well under the normal price of used Sigs, and it looked brand new. I decided to buy it, and as the guy was boxing it up I noticed the red CPO box. I was somewhat concerned at first; it must be inexpesnive for a reason. Was it worn out? Poor fit and finish? I disassembled it when I got home, and everything looked brand new. The finish was imaculate, the trigger parts had the factory grease intact. It looked perfect. The only thing I did was replace the giagantic red box with a factory gray box I purchased off ebay for $20. I finally got the chance to do some real shooting today, and it was amazing. Super accurate, soft recoil, no hiccups.

I have three other Sigs, and this one is looks and shoots as good, or better, than my other gently used Sigs.

So why are the CPO sigs so inexpensive; even less than a non-CPO used Sig?

Here's a pic.

Old March 28, 2010, 07:09 PM   #2
EdInk

They are factory refurbished guns. They came from private owner and department trade-ins. I don't know why you would waste money on a different box for it. Money would have been better spent on an extra magazine.
Old March 28, 2010, 07:17 PM   #3
mhuegerich

The big read box didn't fit on the shelf in my safe (I store most of my handguns in their original boxes). The factory gray box is slimmer and smaller.
Old March 28, 2010, 08:02 PM   #4
TRaGiK

They're factory remanufactured guns. Usually police turn in guns.

I've owned 2 of them.

The first one I owned, you absolutely could not tell the difference between it and a brand new, non-cpo gun. It had a new finish, and new barrel as well...possibly other new parts that I didn't know about.

The second one wasn't in quite as good of condition, but not far off. New finish on the outside, but the barrel had not been refinished and showed some minor wear.

Both guns functioned 100 percent.

The CPO guns are a GREAT value, and come with a 1 year warranty.