The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2010, 04:11 PM   #1
BombthePeasants

question about taper crimp dies

Hello fellows, I've been posting a few questions recently, and I've hit another bump in the road, and need your help.

I am currently trying to work up my first ever loads of .45ACP rounds using the Oregon Trail Laser Cast 200gr. LSWC bullets. I found out last week, thanks to the help of you guys, that what I thought was a taper crimp die was not, in fact, a taper crimp die. So this leaves me without that particular die. Now, having loaded 50 test rounds (10 each of a different amount of powder, in 0.1 grain increments) with these bullets, I'm finding that approximately half of them will not easily slide into the chamber of my barrel (I do not have a case gauge at the moment, and will not have money in the budget for one in a while). Is this a case of not having crimped my rounds? In other words, is it absolutely necessary to have a taper crimp die to complete the process of loading lead bullets for my 1911's?
Old March 27, 2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You can use the roll crimp in the seater die. Just don't crimp very far. You only need enough so the inside edge of the case mouth just digs a little bit into the bullet so that recoil of the front of the magazine housing and bumping up the feed ramp can't push the bullet deeper into the case.

Put a case in the seater and turn the die body down until you feel it stop against the case mouth. Turn it in maybe another eighth of a turn. Lock it in place. Run a loaded round up in and see how it looks. The original flare from the expander should be gone. The OD of the case mouth should not be below .467" with your tallest case unless you seat the bullet out enough to headspace on the bullet before the case mouth gets to the throat. If you do that (second from right in image below), you can crimp in as much as you want because the bullet keeps the case mouth out of the throat. The old time target shooters found that most accurate. You may have to play with how deep the die body is turned in to get the right amount of crimp?

Once you have the crimp, with the round up in the die, run the seater back down until it makes firm contact with the bullet, and tighten it again.

Downsides of using the roll crimp are shorter case life (necks split sooner) and some tendency to shave a lead ring off the bullet with the case mouth. This needs to be removed from the round with a dental pick or a large safety pin to minimize chamber leading.

You can also buy a Lee Factory Crimp Die. In .45 ACP it will give you a taper crimp and also an outside finished round sizing job to guarantee feeding.
NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by Unclenick; March 27, 2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old March 27, 2010, 05:17 PM   #3
sophijo

Lee Factory Crimp Die

+1 (less than $20)
Old March 27, 2010, 08:46 PM   #4
BombthePeasants

my problem isn't case length; all my cases fall w/in the 1.225 to 1.235" C.O.L. range. My problem, I think, is that the case diameter. it feels like some of the cases are bulged out too much, because of the .452" dia. lead bullets. Is this a problem that would be solved by the Lee die?
Old March 27, 2010, 09:00 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

Yes, it is necessary to taper crimp for 45 ACP.

Anyone's taper crimp die is fine. I don't care for the Lee Carbide FCD, since it only irons over problems that need to be found and fixed at their source. It's only redeeming factor is now they have a kit for push through sizing using it, which helps get rid of bulges in brass shot from pistols without a fully supported chamber (e.g. glock).

Andy
Old March 28, 2010, 01:22 PM   #6
BombthePeasants

I shall ask another question then. Would I be better off buying a newer 3-die carbide set, that taper crimps when the bullet is seated, or should I purchase a solitary taper crimp die? apparently, the die set I bought is a much older die set. It's carbide, but apparently does not taper crimp when seating the bullet...
Old March 28, 2010, 03:12 PM   #7
sophijo

another die

Even Redding says, in their catalogue, the you get better results when using separate seating and crimp dies....I do.
Old March 28, 2010, 04:22 PM   #8
BigJakeJ1s

Taper crimping while seating is harder to set up than roll crimping, but it can be done. And it has been done by many, many reloaders for a long, long time.

You have to balance the time and effort it takes to get the seating/crimping die set up for both, against the time it takes to run every round through a single stage press for another pass to crimp separately.

Andy