The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 27, 2010, 02:19 PM   #26
KyJim

The SW M&Ps, S&W 99, Walther P-99, and Glocks are not true single action pistols. They are striker fired. On the M&Ps, Glocks and some versions of the 99s, the striker is partially cocked after each shot. I believe ATF lists them officially as double actions.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old March 27, 2010, 06:08 PM   #27
Crosshair

Quote:
Glocks are not true single action pistols. They are striker fired. On the M&Ps, Glocks and some versions of the 99s, the striker is partially cocked after each shot. I believe ATF lists them officially as double actions.
It's nothing to do with being striker fired. As was mentioned, Hi-Points are single action striker fired pistols. One way I have heard it put is that Glocks are 90% SA and 10% DA. They are a hybrid design that really should have its own classification outside the traditional DA/SA system of classification.

As for ATF classification, Glock had to convince the ATF to list them as DAO otherwise Glocks could not be imported to the US because of the "Import points" system. That and they had to convince police departments that they were true DAOs, despite them not being, in order to get many of them to adopt them.

Quote:
FLAME SUIT ON.
You are not alone.
Old March 28, 2010, 02:02 AM   #28
christcorp

Crosshair is correct. The glock is neither SAO or DAO. It's a hybrid. The striker fire is irrelevant. Striker fire simply means that instead of a hammer coming back and hitting a firing pin after being released, and the firing pin striking the primer; the firing pin itself is pulled back and locked into place. And then the sear releases the firing pin; like a crossbow would a bolt (Arrow), and the firing pin hits the primer.

But with the glock, when you jack a round into the chamber, the firing pin only goes back part way. It requires pulling the trigger to make the firing pin (Striker), go all the way back and then release forward. On a side not, I don't like the glock or other SAO type striker fired weapons for carry purposes. I don't like a gun that has the firing pin held back under spring tension, and I want a gun that has 2nd strike capabilities. You can't do that with a glock or hi-point. Fine for home defense or in a situation where you have time on your side. I don't mind carrying one with an empty chamber, but not with one in the chamber. But I still wouldn't carry one because if for whatever reason the round doesn't fire, I want to be able to pull the trigger again without chambering a new round into the gun. Chambering a round initially is fine when you have time. But once you've engaged the bad guy, I don't want to have to risk chambering again. I stick with DAO/SAO pistols with hammers.
Old March 28, 2010, 10:21 AM   #29
KyJim

I understand the Glock is not a "true" double action but it sure isn't a single action. It isn't cocked fully (about 3/4 of the way). That makes it a double action in my book.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old March 28, 2010, 10:40 AM   #30
Webleymkv

In my view a Glock, for all practical purposes, is a SAO. Regardless of how exactly the striker works, you have all the attributes of a single-action trigger including a relatively short and light trigger pull and the lack of a second strike capability.
Old March 28, 2010, 12:42 PM   #31
natjohnb

Some TDA's you can use as a single action and carry cocked and locked; CZ SP-01, HK USP v.1, and Taurus PT-92 come to mind.
Old March 28, 2010, 06:21 PM   #32
KyJim

Quote:
In my view a Glock, for all practical purposes, is a SAO. Regardless of how exactly the striker works, you have all the attributes of a single-action trigger including a relatively short and light trigger pull and the lack of a second strike capability.
Wel'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think the trigger is either short or light compared to my real single actions.
Old March 28, 2010, 07:10 PM   #33
MythBuster

The M&P is 100% SINGLE ACTION. The trigger pull releases a fully cocked striker.

Is is a single action striker fired pistol.
Old March 28, 2010, 09:03 PM   #34
sandbag

Other SAO's

Browning,Llama,Star(no longer made),CZ75 to name a few.
Old March 28, 2010, 10:14 PM   #35
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:
Wel'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think the trigger is either short or light compared to my real single actions.
It's much closer to my real single actions (S&W 1911, Norinco Tokarev and CZ-52) then it is to my real double actions (Walther PP, CZ-75, S&W 1076, and various S&W, Ruger, Colt, and H&R revolvers).

Tags
semi-auto , single action