The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 24, 2010, 11:52 PM   #1
Carl

Who makes the best revolver in 45/410?

I am really interested in acquiring something in 45/410, and the most popular gun seems to be the Taurus Judge. I have never owned a Taurus, but having heard all the negative comments about them from different people it makes it hard to think about putting down the money for a used or new one. In your opinion which manufacturer makes a good revolver in .45/.410?
Old March 25, 2010, 12:04 AM   #2
laytonj1

I believe the Thunder 5 was the only other 45/410 revolver made... probably for a good reason.

I take that back, Magnum Research (BFR) also makes one.

Jim
Old March 25, 2010, 01:30 AM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Much as I love the SAA 45 colt revolvers, particularly those with 6"+ barrels I have to say if you really want one that shoots the .410 to best effect get a Judge.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 25, 2010, 03:52 AM   #4
Qwiks draw

The Judge is not a poor piece of workmanship for a vast majority. I presented evidence of that in the following links as well as MOST ACTUAL owners who have them.

There are those who do not own the Judge, have no experience with them, yet feel that their opinions not necessarily based on facts and ownership are somehow relevant? There are a couple minor exceptions to that and that is all.

If one realizes the guns limitations then there are no problems.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=398862
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=395384
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=387902
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=500365
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=468543
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=466092

I can bring 18 printed pages of links from the actual satisfied users and owners of the Judge. That's from the "other forum".

Only 1 page of those who do not. Most of those worked through the problem of the gun. Most did not need fixing and were cases of the person not knowing the performance parameters of the Judge and ammo.

Others worked with the gun's problem and are know on the happy owner list.

A few had actual problems and sent the gun in for repair. And a minority got rid of the gun for good. That's fair. It's their choice.

The vast majority of owners are satisfied ones.

The Thunderer was a behemoth, weighed more than most other revolvers, and was awkward to use,carry , or do anything else with it.

Those have been out of manufacture for some time know.

Taurus took the .45 Colt/.410 gauge concept and made it work.

The gun was made more compact and lightweight compared to other examples of that revolver caliber/gauge combo.

It also comes if many variations to fill various niches and needs.

No, I'm not on the Judge bandwagon as I have other revolvers Taurus and Ruger, that take it's place and fill the need better. Since I do not have an actual need for one I have not bought one.

That does not make the Judge irrelevant? No. For many as it fills their needs and niche as a truck,farm, for fun gun, pest control, or for self defense very close up.

There are for whom the Judge is a working gun as well. If it fits your needs,fine.

If not,fine. Use something else.
Yes, the .410 gauge ammo has it's limitations. As long as people realistically realize what those limitations are then there is no problem.

The .45 Colt loads seem best for a lot of applications.

Can you find a better revolver of that .410 gauge/.45 Colt breed for the money and price that works better?

The overall evidence says no.
Old March 25, 2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Jbar4Ranch

I'm a gun room manager at a 15 store sporting goods chain, and I return more Taurus Judges by far than any other model firearm. Taurus revolvers in general lead the pack in repair returns by a long shot. Taurus autos, on the other hand... I can't remember returning a single one for service in the nearly three years I've had this job.

SASS 47015
Old March 25, 2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Nowhere Man

Jbar says;

Quote:
Taurus autos, on the other hand... I can't remember returning a single one for service in the nearly three years I've had this job.
Does that include their 1911's??

Dave
Old March 25, 2010, 09:42 AM   #7
Jbar4Ranch

I've got no personal experience with the Taurus 1911, but from everything I've read about them, most folks consider them to be a *Best Buy* in a 1911 platform.

SASS 47015
Old March 25, 2010, 10:01 AM   #8
ohen cepel

My father in law bought a Judge and had to send it back for work. Cylinder would bind up. It's back now and he's happy with it.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old March 25, 2010, 10:37 AM   #9
ChiefMuzz

Best revolver would be the BFR. But it is priced well beyond the judge
Old March 25, 2010, 11:00 AM   #10
Vt.birdhunter

Magnum research makes very heavy, very solid .45, .410. Not nearly as practical to wield or carry as the judge, but it carries a far better rep.
Old March 26, 2010, 09:08 PM   #11
Deja vu

I have a 3 inch chamber taurus Judge that I took out shooting ground squirls with. We didnt see many squirls but we did see a few that the guys with the 22s and the 17s got, I did get a single squirl at about 25 yards. The judge is not a good distance weapon but it is fun to shoot.

I also own a bond arms 410 darenger and that is pretty fun but the dudge does shoot a little more accurate. 410 hand guns are still pretty rare other than the judge
Old March 26, 2010, 10:59 PM   #12
TenRing

American Derringer makes a .45/.410 two-shot derringer. It might work for you.
http://www.amderringer.com/m4.html
Old March 26, 2010, 11:39 PM   #13
Cool_Hand

Bond Arms Snake Slayer. It's heavy duty and has interchangable barrels. It's worth taking a look at.

check it out here

http://www.gunblast.com/Bond-Derringer.htm
Old March 27, 2010, 12:35 AM   #14
bubbaturbo

Qwiks draw said:
Quote:
There are those who do not own the Judge, have no experience with them, yet feel that their opinions not necessarily based on facts and ownership are somehow relevant?
and

Qwiks draw said:
Quote:
Since I do not have an actual need for one I have not bought one.
This is puzzling.
Old March 27, 2010, 03:03 AM   #15
shortwave

Quote:
Best revolver would be BFR...
I would say this is probably correct. BFR`s are top notch. You pay for quality.

Quote:
The judge is not a good distance weapon but it is fun to shoot
Another true statement. Mine is fun to shoot, fairly accurate with 45lc out to 20yds. and patterns 00 buck decent to 10 yds. It does what I bought it for. Also recoil is minimal. Wife love's it.

Quote:
American Derringer makes a .45/.410 two-shot derringer
I own one of these also. Not a fun shooter/plinker for me. Grips to short for recoil. Advantage over the Judge would be its lighter. Diss-advantage would be more recoil, only two shot(and that quick follow-up may not be very accurate). Accuracy wise, Judge shoots 45lc more accurate. Both comparable with 00 buck.
Old March 27, 2010, 06:32 PM   #16
bigghoss

heritage arms had a .45/410 rough rider at the shot show.
Old March 29, 2010, 03:31 AM   #17
Fygg Nuuton

I own a Taurus Judge, 2.5". The shotshells CAN get stuck in the chamber, but only some brands; my Remington's eject just fine, for instance. I've had it for about a year and shot it regularly, and while I am looking to sell it it's not for any reason I can fault to the gun itself. Considering what the price on other 45/410 revolvers are, you're going to end with a Judge for sure.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:01 PM   #18
glocknbond

bond arms snake slayer

I have the bond arms snake slayer with the 45lc/410 barrel, and I have to say this gun is amazing, it is extremely well made, a little on the heavy side for only having two shots, but is extremely reliable, I carry a glock 26 as my everyday carry, but I throw the snake slayer with a couple extra 45's and 410s in the cargo pocket, and yes a lot of people say they are slow to load, but as a backup gun you can't beat a 410 or 45 lc
Old May 17, 2010, 10:36 PM   #19
awpk03s

I would try to judge (no pun intended) in all seriousness how much you'd really use the 410 shells in a revolver. My guess is probably not that much.

If that is the case, then a 45 Colt revolver is still an excellent tool to have. I too wanted a 45 caliber 'convertible' revolver - but mine was 45LC/45ACP as pictured below by my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk convertible.

I have utter confidence it will blow up a watermelon just as "dead" as the Taurus Judge shooting 410s.
Old May 19, 2010, 07:26 PM   #20
leetosaurus

Thats a good looking piece right there. Do you use moon clips for the ACP's?
Old May 19, 2010, 09:27 PM   #21
awpk03s

No moon clips... it has a separate cylinder cut specifically for 45ACP. Very nice