The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 24, 2010, 09:37 PM   #1
farmall

Taurus Run-Around

Had issues with my 44 Tracker binding the cylinder and excessive endshake. Called them up, and since the gun was relatively new, asked if there was any chance they would cover freight both ways. They agreed and sent the FedEx man around for it. Fixed it up just fine and I'm happy with the repairs and turnaround time.

Here's the catch. About 3 weeks ago, I received a letter from FedEx, stating that they were unable to bill Taurus, and requesting payment in the ammount of $80 and change. I called Taurus and inquired about this. They requested that I fax a copy of the invoice, and that they would pay it. I call about an hour after I faxed it and they said they hadn't gotten the fax yet, and they'd call and let me know when they did. No call.....nothing. Friday I get a collection notice from Fedex, which I faxed to Taurus again today, attn the CSR's name, and a note to call me with details.....again no response. I offered to scan and email a copy, in case their is a fax problem, and I'm told they don't have EMAIL?

Starting to get disgusted, and the fact that they have gotten my name onto someones collection list isn't making me any more of a Taurus fan.

Any suggestions here?
Old March 24, 2010, 09:57 PM   #2
MosinM38

Ah yes...the wonderful world of taurus....

Decent guns, but the leading example of poor customer service.

If this example is anything like our parts return experiance, you'll get $80 in 11 months, or say to hague with it....
Old March 25, 2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

That sucks. Good luck getting it figured out.

If I were you, I would call Fedex, explain the situation and see what can be worked out. I'd hate to have Fedex go after my credit rating over something like this.
Old March 25, 2010, 06:45 AM   #4
DiscoRacing

I had two taurus... sold em both... only taurus I get now actually says S&W on the side.
Old March 25, 2010, 06:59 AM   #5
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
Decent guns, but the leading example of poor customer service.
I think "poor" is a good general descriptor for the whole company, guns and all...
Old March 25, 2010, 07:22 AM   #6
AirForceShooter

As amazing as it sounds they Don't have E-mail.
They have reportedly added an 800 number.

AFS
Old March 25, 2010, 07:38 AM   #7
03Shadowbob

It amazes me that people still buy Taurus products. Sure, I can understand a new gun enthusiast not knowing anything about firearms going to the gun show and being shell shocked at the prices of quality firearms then looking at a Taurus and saying to themselves "This looks like a decent gun" and buying one. However, for those of us with any google-fu experience and gun-fu experience, it should be unacceptable to buy a Taurus firearm.
Save a couple more bucks and buy a decent firearm.
Old March 25, 2010, 07:55 AM   #8
CWPinSC

Quote:
It amazes me that people still buy Taurus products.
Then be amazed. My wife and I have 7 (6 different) Taurii and all but one have been 100% reliable with extensive shooting. The one that wasn't was sent back to Taurus and returned, completely repaired, in a short time. My communication with their CS people was pleasant and informative.

My experience with both the gun and the company has been good.
Old March 25, 2010, 08:01 AM   #9
03Shadowbob

Mine has been completely opposite of yours on 3 out of the 5 Taurus guns I owned. My old Model85 and a PT92 were rock solid. MilPros and new PTs were total crap for me.
Old March 25, 2010, 08:03 AM   #10
woad_yurt

A question: Have you called Fedex and told them that they're billing the wrong person? I'd contact corporate HQ (in writing.)
Old March 25, 2010, 08:15 AM   #11
TailGator

Not a lawyer, but it seems to me that if you did not request a service from FedEx you should not be liable for the bill. Explain to FedEx that Taurus made the arrangements for shipping. Good idea to do this in writing and keep copies, as stated in the previous post.
Old March 25, 2010, 08:21 AM   #12
greyson97

you can't really blame people (general every day casual peopl) when you see a 6" .357 revolver, and they both look the same, but one has Taurus written on the side and costs $380 and one has S&W written on the side and cosst $800

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old March 25, 2010, 08:45 AM   #13
Skans

I'd be more agrivated with Fed-X than with Taurus. Taurus at least fixed your gun and didn't bill you anything for it. Fed-X was never employed by you to do anything and is billing you!
Old March 25, 2010, 10:59 AM   #14
jglsprings

So where does FEDEX come off making you pay for a transaction that was initiated by Taurus, both coming and going?

The issue is there IMHO!

FEDEX can pack sand as far as I'm concerned. They have these "company rules" that are outrageous.

Commas save lives...
Old March 25, 2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Glock-19

Quote:
I had two taurus... sold em both...
Wouldnt two Taurus's be a Taurii?
Old March 25, 2010, 07:12 PM   #16
shepherddogs

I'm not a lawyer but I know that if Taurus contracted with Fedex to pick up your defective gun then you are not liable for the charges. Send Fedex a certified letter detailing the situation. If they damage your credit you may pursue them in court. You never contracted with them to do anything.
Old March 25, 2010, 07:31 PM   #17
DiscoRacing

Quote:
Wouldnt two Taurus's be a Taurii?
LoL that could be... I knew I would have stepped in something with that one.
Old March 25, 2010, 08:29 PM   #18
sltintexas

file a complaint with Better business bureau. I just looked up Taurus in dealing with my issues and all of their complaints have been answered and resolved.

BBB is not always the most speedy but it is a step.

http://www.seflorida.bbb.org/Busines...g-Inc-27002288
Old March 25, 2010, 08:40 PM   #19
UpandAtIt

Tis what you get when you buy something from a company named "Bangor Punta, Corp." aka Taurus, S&W, Beretta, Rossi and a few others all owned by Bangor Punta, the parent company.

I own (1) one Taurus and that is the PT-22, I own 2 S&W, one of them an early model 39 converted by ASP, I have one (1) Beretta - Mod 21 .22lr and one (1) Rossi - a Garcia-Rossi Bronco in .22/,410.

The rest of what I own are all older USA Made guns, Savage, Colt, Older Mossbergs, Rugers, North American Arms, Hi-Standard, Charter Arms etc..... .
Old March 25, 2010, 08:48 PM   #20
Hoss Fly

Quote:
file a complaint with Better business bureau. I just looked up Taurus in dealing with my issues and all of their complaints have been answered and resolved.

BBB is not always the most speedy but it is a step.
Most would rather just bitch moan & groan rather than take senseable steps to solve a problem
Old March 25, 2010, 08:50 PM   #21
UpandAtIt

Best way to send a message to Taurus is to NOT buy their products.
Old March 25, 2010, 09:43 PM   #22
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...a company named "Bangor Punta, Corp." aka Taurus, S&W, Beretta, Rossi and a few others all owned by Bangor Punta, the parent company.
Bangor Punta no longer owns S&W.

At one time it did own 54% of Taurus, but that ended in 1977.

I can't find any evidence that Beretta was ever owned by Bangor Punta.

I didn't try to research a Rossi connection, but it's moot. Bangor Punta currently doesn't own anything. It hasn't existed as a company since 1984.
Old March 25, 2010, 10:41 PM   #23
iamde3

A good Gun dealer would have sent that back for you at Taurus expense, as they get reimbursed for that. Taurus does have an 800 # that you can call, that puts you right into Customer Service, ask to speak to Frank. He will shorten the run around you will normally get. I have had to return Guns to Taurus also. You call them, they send you a shipping label for UPS, you pack the firearm per legal instructions, affix the label, ship the firearm. They fix it and it is shipped back to you via UPS. Never had a problem, sorry to hear you did, that seams to be the way to do it.

Last edited by iamde3; March 25, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old March 25, 2010, 11:12 PM   #24
Fullthrottle

I have read many posts about Taurus both good and bad! So far in my few years of having a model66ss revolver have had no problems(I have shot thousands of rounds through it).
However from what you have posted (the info at hand), Fed-EX, is the problem. Sounds to me they screwed up somewhere(not a suprise), they are the ones that made the mistake, if you spoke to Taurus and they arranged the pick up, IT WAS PAID FOR BY TAURUS! Fed-Ex does not pick up or ship without prior payment from individules! In other words I can't tell them I I'llpay them for their services "when I get the product back"! They don't work that way.
Old March 25, 2010, 11:49 PM   #25
sltintexas

Does your Fed Ex Airbill have the sender's Fed Ex acct number on it? It should be in section 1 of the sender copy?

And did section 7 say bill third party?