The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old March 23, 2010, 04:18 PM   #1
LEWIS CIPHER

1938 springfield model 15

i recently aquired my newest toy, a 1938 springfield/savage bolt action 22 cal. rifle.i was suprised to NOT find a serial # on it! the only thing it says is SPRINGFIELD MODEL 15 savage arms corporation chicopee falls mass.u.s.a.
it says it shoots 22 short, 22 long, and 22 long rifle. im no expert so i thought someone might be able to tell me if 22 long rifle is the same as 22 magnum?
it would be nice to be able to shoot magnums out of this sweet little thumper. it only has iron sights but there dead on, and my 12 year old son is a natural born marksman. he and i go out with my springfield 22 and my savage 93r17 17 cal. h.m.r. and devistate the squirrel population in the woods behind our house. if anybody could tell me a little history about the springfield model 15, it would be much appreciated. oh the model 15 also has 3 patent #'s on it as well if that helps out any. the patent #'s are #1.)2173576. #2.)2223092. #3.)2230372. i hope someone out there can tell me a little history about this gun.

Last edited by LEWIS CIPHER; March 23, 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old March 23, 2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Scorch

No, .22 Long Rifle (22LR) is not the same as .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (22WMR or 22 Magnum)! If it were the same, it would have the same name! Use 22 Short, 22 Long, or 22 Long Rifle ammunition in it.

Differences:
* 22LR uses a heeled bullet (i.e. the rear part of the bullet is smaller than the driving bands, and the case is the same diameter as the bullet). 22 WMR uses a jacketed bullet.
* The 22 LR case is smaller in diameter than the 22 WMR case. If you attempt to fire a 22LR in a 22 WMR chamber, it will most likely split the case. 22 WMR will not fit into a 22LR chamber unless it is badly worn.
* 22LR is much shorter than 22 WMR.
* 22LR bore diameter is .222", 22 Magnum bore diameter is .224"

Serial numbers were not required on firearms until after 1968. Most 22 rifles did not have serial numbers until that time.

Most states have hunting seasons on tree squirrels. Check your game laws.
Taylor Machine
Old March 24, 2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Closing this duplicate, question was also posted in Curios and Relics. That one has more answers.

Lewis, you only need to ask your question in one forum.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread