The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 23, 2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Captain Nice

S&W K-32 Masterpiece

Does anyone have an S&W K-32 Masterpiece manufactured between 1946 and 1950?
Old March 23, 2010, 08:57 PM   #2
carguychris

You're going to have better luck asking that question on the Smith & Wesson forum. The K-32 is a very rare gun. This forum is popular with people who like the shooting sports as a whole and dabble in a bit of everything, while the S&W forum is a better place to find hardcore collectors.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/
Old March 23, 2010, 09:44 PM   #3
gearchecker

You'll have a very difficult time acquiring a K-32 Masterpiece, in any condition. It's very uncommon, and a limited production revolver. It's part of the Masterpiece series along with the K-22 & K-38. Most K-32's that exist are in collection sets of matching year masterpiece revolvers, and the owner/collectors won't part with them.
I'm a S&W collector and I've never even seen one with my own eyes. I've seen pictures of a few, but that's it. A friend of mine spent the past 6 years looking for one and finally found it. It cost him $2200 to acquire.
I figure I'll never have the chance to own one. I keep my eyes open at every trade show and pawn shop I go to, but I'm not holding my breath.

Here's another S&W forum you can ask at.
http://www.smithandwessonforums.com
Good luck, It's a true Grail gun to a collector.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old March 23, 2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Wildalaska

That WAS my next target till a Webley-Pryse got me

WildscrewplasticgunsAlaska TM
Old March 24, 2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Captain Nice

Thanks everyone for those replies. I thought it would be a lost cause. I have the K-22 '47 and K-38 '48 both in excelent condition. Thought it would be nice to have the complete set.

P.S. I have the original gold and blue boxes and bill of sale for them, they were purchased by my dad in 1948.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0052.jpg (238.6 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Captain Nice; March 24, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old March 24, 2010, 02:41 PM   #6
carguychris

Two comments...
  1. At least you aren't looking for a K-32 Combat Masterpiece (4" barrel)- they make K-32 Masterpieces seem downright commonplace, with a production total estimated to be in the double digits.
  2. For reasons that have never been fully explained, there seem to be a lot more K-32 Masterpiece gold boxes in circulation than actual guns. It is believed that S&W overestimated demand and placed a large order from their box supplier, but actual K-32 production never equaled this number, and an employee slipped the extra boxes out the back door sometime after the gun was discontinued.
Maybe you can at least get a box to match the others.