The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 19, 2010, 05:10 PM   #1
xeduc8r

trigger pull gauge information

I am looking in to buying a trigger pull guage. I want to set my rifles at 2.5 to 3 lbs and need advice on which one to purchase or avoid. I would like to spend under $40 and don't plan on doing lots of triggers, only 4 or 5. I was told that an RCBS would be a good one. Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 19, 2010, 05:20 PM   #2
kraigwy

I've tried a couple (including the RCBS) and want impressed with the spring type gage.

I settled on the weights. They are a little more pricy but if you just want certain weights they are pretty reasonable. I've been using mine for over 30 years. They wont wear out.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0...tigger_weights
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 19, 2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Pahoo

While you are shopping for one, take a look at what Midway has to offer. This will give you a general idea of what is available. I like the Lyman digital and will probably buy one soon the one I am currently using, is a round dial Analog type with a range of 0 to 6lbs.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#trigger

Be Safe !!!
Old March 22, 2010, 02:24 PM   #4
roberto mervicini

I made my own weight, cut a 2" cilinder in slices, 3 of 1 lb, 2 of 1/2 lb and few of 1/4 lb, drill a hole in the center and cut and cut out a tiny radius, they could be stack on top of each other on the support that hook up to the second extention, that connect to the trigger. Crude but work fine for me at zero cost.!! Made the extention with some mauser cleaning rod. If you want I could take a picture of the gadget .
_______
roberto
Old March 22, 2010, 05:46 PM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
If you can loosen your purse strings a little more , Lyman sells a nice digital unit . FYI to measure your trigger pull use the average of ten pulls !