The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 19, 2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Dre_sa

the wall drill

greetings all,

I came across this video earlier and wondered if it works as described.

http://www.downrange.tv/videos/walldrill.htm

anyone tried the wall drill?
any results form the exercise?

thanks for thoughts and opinions and experience shared
Old March 19, 2010, 03:27 PM   #2
MrBorland

I like it. Thanks for posting.

I do a lot of dry firing, and always include some strict sight picture/trigger pull work. Never included the wall, though.

One advantage I see to the wall which wasn't mentioned is that it may help your brain hardwire what a perfect sight picture looks like: No matter how hard we try, our sight picture tends to wobble a teensy bit, and I'm convinced our brains have largely hardwired that wobbly sight picture into our subconscious. IOW, our subconscious doesn't even know what a perfect sight picture looks like, so it can't tell your body to hold one.

Try for instance closing your eyes and visualizing a perfect, and perfectly-held sight picture. I don't know about anyone else, but I often see a sight picture with as much wobble as the real thing.

Holding the gun against the wall holds a strict sight picture, and may help develop more effective visualization skills, then.
Old March 19, 2010, 09:57 PM   #3
grumpycoconut

He's missing the single most important part of the drill. He needs to get himself a barrel length #2 pencil with an eraser, a roll of cellophane tape and a piece of clean paper.

Wrap the pencil with 2 bands of just enough tape to stay centered in the barrel. Use a bit more tape to hold the paper on the wall at gun height. Load the pencil in the barrel and assume your firing position. Get your sight picture and press the trigger. The hammer strikes the firing pin which strikes the eraser which pushes the pencil down range which leave a neat little mark on the paper. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The theory here is that you have nothing to distract you from your sight picture, you can concentrate on your trigger stroke and you have a visible record of your success or need for improvement. The funny squiggles you make as you jerk the trigger are also real good refrigerator art.

By the way, this doesn't work well if you try to double action your revolver. They tend to bind up on the pencil
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old April 2, 2010, 12:30 PM   #4
output

I have actually recommended this video before.

Some shooters believe that dry-fire exercises are not very beneficial…and others do. I tend to believe the later, as it has actually helped me in the past/present. This is a great exercise that focuses on trigger control/manipulation especially with heavy triggers.

I have been doing this wall drill a few times a week for a few months and I think it has helped considerably. It took me a while to get use to shooting with both of my eyes open and this exercise helped increase my concentration and helped with my focus on my sight picture.

It will do nothing for you if you are having an issue with recoil flinching but that is another beast entirely.

Best of luck,

-Output
Old April 2, 2010, 12:38 PM   #5
kraigwy

I use to use that drill alot until I started dry firing with the CT Laser Sight.

Laser sights show you actually whats happening during dryfiring. Soon you see what you are doing wrong and correct it. It really helps.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 3, 2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Blue Steel

I like this drill, but I did have to smile as the instructor called it "the foundation of all firearms shooting" and "a little known drill" in the same sentence.
Old April 10, 2010, 10:57 PM   #7
XR750

looks intresting, will it work with a revoler.
XR750
Old April 26, 2010, 10:05 PM   #8
stolivar

I use it all the time

For my CCW classes.

steve