The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 17, 2010, 02:25 AM   #1
Lavid2002

My AR15 hammer pin keeps drifting out

I lost the very small piece of wire that lays in the hammer to help retain the pin on your hammer. Its not in the gun at all....its just gone. Anyone know where I can find a substitute? What gauge wire I need? Once I do find the right wire how do I keep it in the hammer and insure it wont come out and cause the same problems.

If I had such a failure in a competition I would lose for sure....
Old March 17, 2010, 09:43 AM   #2
TRguy

this wire you speak of is the Hammer spring.

The rear legs of the AR hammer spring sits on the indent of the trigger pin keeping it in place. If you lower pin holes are even a few thousands out of spec then you can get loose pins.

To rectify this you either buy KNS anitwalk pins or generic anitwalk pins. I have used both and they both have functioned fine.

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/mm5/m...egory_Code=KNS

Generic
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

If it is the center detent, that rides on the center indent on the hammer pin, you lost on the inside of your hammer. It might be easier to just buy a new hammer;

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Hammer_p/lp1018.htm

Last edited by TRguy; March 17, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old March 17, 2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Gunplummer

I agree, get a new hammer, its not worth messing with. I ran into the oversize hole problem in the military but it didn't involve losing pins. The usual problem related to it was double or triple fire. A lot of the GM Hydramatic Receivers were worn out, and the military actually started supplying gauges to check the holes. A lot of the H&R receivers were the same way, but that seemed to be shoddy workmanship, as they appeared fairly new looking.
Old March 17, 2010, 01:19 PM   #4
geetarman

What TRguy said. The KNS pins are a sweet setup. I have them in my AR platforms.
Old March 17, 2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Lavid2002

I like my rifle how it is now : / I really have to spend $$$ to fix this... I have so much confidence in my ar15, and it failed to fiver 3 or 4 times on the last trip to the range and it was because the pin had drifted out about a 1/4" to one side and it dropped down causing the hammer to not catch on the sear anymore and the gun wouldnt fire.

*Yes it is the hammer pin*

I have a RRA 2 stage trigger I dont really want to get another hammer because this one is so awesome. Ill get one of those kits instead.