The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 16, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1
MontyCop05

S&W .460 XVR vs. Ruger Super Redhawk .454

Hey guys, I recently posted asking for opionions on the S&W .460 (which I WAS sold on) and now a new contender has come into the light. The Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull. Now this gun will be used for Hunting. Boar, Bear, and whatever else I decide I want try with it. I WILL not go any smaller that the .454. From my short time researching, I've seen that many are in love with their .460's. The S&W .460 VXR has an MSRP of $1485, and retails at the store level around $1100. The Ruger's MSRP is $992, and will retail at the store level in the 7's. Significant enough price differnece when you add in rings, a good scope, and a good holster. I did a search in the forum and didn't find any direct comparisons. I'm trying to weigh the differences. There isn't a WHOLE lot of difference between the .454 and .460 when it comes to ballistics. The difference between, say, the .44 mag and the .454 is much more. And the .460 is a wee bit louder than the .454. The XVR is compensated which adds to its "boom" factor. The Redhawk is not, so I'd expect it would be quieter and have the same or even possibly a little more recoil than the .460 being its not compensated. Thoughts?
Old March 16, 2010, 08:16 PM   #2
XD Gunner

The Smith 460 can shoot 454, but the 454 cannot shoot 460. To me, your getting both for 1100 with the Smith, but only the 454 for 700. That's a no brainer.

460 is also much more power than a 454, and some 460 loads are as powerful, or more powerful than some .500 Magnum loads. It's two guns in two different classes.

If I were to purchase a 454 Casull, it would be in a 4-500 Dollar Taurus Raging Bull. If I were to purchase a handgun to hunt with, it would be a 460XVR. One gun, one price, 3 different ammo choices depending on how you feel, what your hunting, or what you can find. Versatility is NEVER a bad thing.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old March 16, 2010, 10:53 PM   #3
MontyCop05

Thanks XD. I know I get all 3 (45LC, .454, and .460) with the XVR...that is another reason I like it so much. But the XVR is pricey...and your more than correct about the .460 exceeding the .500 in some loadings. However the .500 is overrated in my opinion. It drops like a lead weight at distances where the .460 is still running flat. There is also the argument that you there's nothing you can't kill in North America with a .44 Mag....Don't know if I wanna test that theory.
Old March 16, 2010, 11:25 PM   #4
Teuthis

Every kind of big game in North America has already been slain with a .44 mag. It's more than a theory. Perhaps the larger calibers make people feel better, but whether they are necessary with respect to the .44 magnum is the debatable issue. People faced with potential confrontations with large bears are obviously going to want the biggest and the best. But it has been done before with the .44 mag.
Old March 16, 2010, 11:27 PM   #5
XD Gunner

Quote:
There is also the argument that you there's nothing you can't kill in North America with a .44 Mag
Quote:
Every kind of big game in North America has already been slain with a .44 mag.
Yes, but at what ranges?

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old March 16, 2010, 11:59 PM   #6
Lost Sheep

Comparing the Ruger 454 to the Smith 500

I have never fired a Smith & Wesson 460, but I have a friend with a 500 Smith & Wesson and I have shot that a lot. It is only a 4", however.

The gun is much heavier in the hand than my 7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk, though my Freedom Arms 5" is lighter than either. (I have not weighed them and they are not handy right now, so this is just how they feel in my hand.)

When shooting similar power loads, the Smith is definitely more comfortable to shoot. The muzzle brake and extra weight are welcome when you are on the receiving end of delivering a ton of ballistic energy. At that level, the 454 Casull is maxed out, but the 500 has almost 50% more it can deliver.

Unquestionably, the Smith & Wessons have more power available, and if Ruger made an X-Frame (or 1/8" longer) I would be in line for one. My vote for the cartridge name would be the 500 Bill, after Bill Ruger.

But even though the 454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk takes a back seat in power and controllability, I prefer the Ruger. My friend, while having a fine time with his gun, has had a few problems. Once, the muzzle brake's retaining screw worked itself loose and the brake went somewhere downrange. Smith sent him a new one (I don't know if he had to pay for it or not) pretty quickly. Machined-in muzzle vents on the Ruger would not have that problem. When shooting heavy loads, the cylinder's locking hand will sometimes bounce out of the locking notch and the cylinder back-rotate. The next attempt to fire rotates the cylinder again, to the same (now spent) cartridge. I have witnessed this myself several times, and it has happened often enough that we were able to run several experiments to make sure we were not just mistaken. The cylinder counter-rotates under recoil for sure. We suppose that the recoil bounces the hand out of its notch, but have not been able to actually photograph that, so that is a theory. But it's the only one that makes sense. Some people report that a heavier spring cures the problem.

Then there is the infernal internal lock. We have never had his lock up without using the key, but I have heard that it has happened several times to various people, especially shooting heavy loads in lightweight guns. The direction of rotation of the lock is such that the inertia of the lock's inner works could cause the lock to engage, with heavy recoil.

Neither of those two misbehaviours would be acceptable on a boar hunt, or any dangerous game. Both are easily cured, though.

I must say that I do prefer the interior lockwork of the Ruger. The parts are fewer in number, simpler to understand and, in my opinion, stronger. But that's just my preference and my opinion.

I forget how many rounds the 460 Smith holds, but the 500 Smith holds only 5 to the Ruger's 6. Not so very important to me, though. I've actually been hankering for a Ruger 480 7.5" with a 5-shot cylinder. But I think the only 5-shots were made in the short barrel. Pity.

Then, of course, there is the Dan Wesson 445 Supermag.

And the single actions. 475 or 500 Linebaugh or 500 Wyoming Express.

Check this little piggy I saw in another forum.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43&m=236106768
or, if the link does not work, paste this into your web browser
forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&f=2911043&m=236106768

I gotta ask. How important is bullet drop at handgun ranges? If you are a long-range shooter, it is important, but for the vast majority of shooters, and hunters, even, the ranges are within 50-60 yards, aren't they? I'm afraid they would be for me. If your eyes and skill can reach out to where trajectory is significant, more power to you. I have used that argument myself when comparing the 41 Magnum to the 44 Magnum. The 41 can out-power the 44 in some bullet weights and shoots flatter, farther, just like the 460 does over the 500 Smith. Where the larger caliber does outperform the smaller is in the heavier bullets and/or where breaking bone is really important.

And THAT's why you need one of each!

I hope you enjoyed my ramblings. Good luck on your hunt (for the "right" gun) and all hunts that come after.

Lost Sheep
Old March 17, 2010, 04:28 AM   #7
sourdough44

A 7.5" Ruger SRH 454 would do anything you need to do.
Old March 17, 2010, 04:58 AM   #8
Norrick

No experience with the smith but I had a super redhawk alaskan in 454 and my only real complaint was that the shells could really stick to the cylinder walls during extraction for the hot loads. This problem was even worse when you fired 45 colt and switched to 454 without thoroughly cleaning the cylinder first (particulate from the escaping gas would travel up the cylinder walls bc of the thinner brass, creating a rough surface that loved to grip the slightly thicker casull casings).

Other than that I just prefer the cylinder release on the rugers better. I'm sure the smith will have a better double action pull (the ruger was very heavy, but this is somewhat of a moot point as I almost always fired in single action)
Old March 17, 2010, 01:32 PM   #9
publius

It all comes down to which gun feels better to you, the Smith or the Ruger. Both cartridges will do what you ask them to do. Yea the .460 has more power but it won't do anything the .454 won't do. The dealbreaker for me is the porting on the Smith. I hate porting.