The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 14, 2010, 09:56 PM   #1
hometheaterman

Can regular citizens buy Federal HST ammo?

I thought AmmunitionToGo sold HST ammo and I had thought regular citizens has said they purchased it there. However, when I was on their site tonight I see it says only for sale to LE Agencies and Officers. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...-155gr-hp-ammo

Is there anywhere that sells HST ammo to people that aren't LEO's or military or anything else of the sort?
Old March 14, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Stevie-Ray

Always seems to be for sale at our gun shows. I've never had trouble getting it.
Old March 14, 2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Bluesfan

Yep. Got some from sportsman's guide about a month ago. I saw soma in
9mm at cheaper than dirt in a recent catalog.
Old March 14, 2010, 11:11 PM   #4
dec41971

Yeah why not? Its for sale on the web to anyone in any legal state, and they sure don't ask if you are LEO. Far as I know, there is no such restriction. Oh and its not even the best hollow points out there. Seems more a marketing hype the public so you want it more?
Old March 14, 2010, 11:15 PM   #5
OnTheFly

I bought some in 9mm for my SD ammo. Got it online, but can't remember where.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old March 15, 2010, 05:37 PM   #6
EastSideRich

I bought 5 boxes from ammunitiontogo about a year ago (9mm, .40 and .45).
I hope that's not their new policy.
If it is, shouldn't they only be able to sell Extreme Shock to air marshals?
Old March 15, 2010, 05:52 PM   #7
rantingredneck

I hope that new policy doesn't apply to their Federal LE12700 buckshot when they get it back in stock.

Wonder if Federal dinged them for selling their HSLD LE ammo to civilians?

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 15, 2010, 08:18 PM   #8
KyJim

I have always heard and read that there was no restriction on selling this "law enforcement only" ammo to non-LEO. In fact, I got a shipment of .45 acp HSTs from Ammunition To Go a month or so ago. Maybe Federal is cracking down.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old March 15, 2010, 09:05 PM   #9
Nakanokalronin

Still available but I keep reading that Federal is going to if not already, box them in 20rd. boxes for the same price as the 50rd box is. If you find it in the 50rd boxes for a low price grab it.
Old March 15, 2010, 09:14 PM   #10
BillCA

I've purchased .45 HST From Ammo2go before, no problems. By the way, it's good stuff. Expands about as well as any other premium JHP and it's accurate too.
Old March 15, 2010, 10:34 PM   #11
Eagleks

I bought all of mine from Ammo-to-go........ seems strange they are now restricting it. Anyone can get it at shops, guns shows, etc. here.
Old March 16, 2010, 02:25 PM   #12
jem375

I have HST's in both 45ACP and 9MM ... bought them from Streichers...
Old March 16, 2010, 02:42 PM   #13
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
By the way, it's good stuff. Expands about as well as any other premium JHP and it's accurate too.
I find it less accurate and a bit less predictable than Hydra-Shoks for both my .45 ACP carry guns. So goes my experimentation with HSTs. I'm sticking with Hydra-Shoks.
Old March 16, 2010, 03:35 PM   #14
raimius

It is a Federal Ammunition company policy, not law. (Although some state/local laws may restrict hollowpoints, most places don't.)
Old March 16, 2010, 07:19 PM   #15
Ken - Oh

I have heard that ATG sells a lot of traded in police ammo. I notice on the 40SW ammo you referenced, it says "new production". As such, Federal might restrict their sales to law enforcement only, whereas the traded in ammo is not under those restrictions.

I notice that 45 +P Hyrda Shok is listed as "law enforcement" but does not have the sales restrictions.

Perhaps we all ought to be upset with Federal for discriminating against ordinary citizens. Seems that their attitude is that we don't deserve the same ammo that they sell to the "elite" police! Maybe we should patronize manufactures who don't think our lives are worth less than police and government employees.

I got a bunch of the 45 +P HST a couple of months ago. It's no longer listed in stock at ATG.

Ken
"The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County [Cincinnati] Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
Old March 16, 2010, 07:36 PM   #16
teeroux

Quote:
Maybe we should patronize manufactures who don't think our lives are worth less than police and government employees.
Yep like Winchester. Oh wait they do that to.
Old March 16, 2010, 07:37 PM   #17
qcpunk

The previous two posts seem the most valid. It has been my understanding that these companies, along with Winchester Ranger T ammo, restrict the sale of these "specialty" hollowpoints to LEO, Nat'l guard, and other Gov't/First responders only. This is just their company policy. Maybe it is to focus on providing the best product for said agencies; maybe it's because they do not feel that regular citizens need access to this ammo. I dont know, I'm not representing the companies.

However, what I can tell you is that this is just company policy, not governed by law. Said companies and their direct distributors are not supposed to sell these to the general public (often times under contract by the manu.)

But we all know better than that 'cause we're resourceful here at TFL it is quite possible to get RangerT, Hydra, HST, etc.... from many online sources. Some of our members here happen to be some sources as well (AmmoSphere )
Old March 17, 2010, 05:27 PM   #18
Stevie-Ray

Well, somebody did it to HK

Federal: Because you suck, and your life is worth less than a LEO's