The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 16, 2010, 07:44 PM   #26
crghss

maybe for you...

Quote:
For most people handgun range is the equivalent of bow range.
For me the pistol way out distances the bow.

My max bow range is 30 yards, MAX.

My Scoped Super Redhawk .44 mag with 9.5" barrel can easily reach out to 90 yds. three times the distance.

Both take practice. The Bow a lot more.

Note: Well in all fairness I'm sure some people out here can hit deer at 40 yds with a bow confidently. But still my SRH can hit a 9" pie pan at 80 yds easily. Twice the distance.

Last edited by crghss; March 16, 2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:47 PM   #27
bamaranger

Dad's Super B

My dad had a Ruger Super B w/ the 10-1/4" bbl. He put a Bushnell Phantom on it, 2.5x I think. Off sandbags, we could break clay pigeons w/ it at 100 yds.
Consistently. Off bags. But I never thought of Dad's "Pecos Bill" revolver (my Mom named it!) as a true handgun, not w/ the optic on it and the mega bbl.

In the field, in a braced position, it would be a formidable deer slayer in the right hands. Dad could never get the accuracy from the pistol I could, 60 yr old eyes v. 30 yr old eyes, and I suspect he was yanking the trigger too!

With iron sights, w/ a portable and conventional bbl of 4-7 inchs, I would be happy if I could break a clay consistently at 50 yds these days, and would need a bench again to do it.

Wish I had dad's Pecos Bill gun.