The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2010, 06:09 PM   #1
slammedsi

45 ACP and Power Pistol

I have been hearing alot of good talk about using Power Pistol in the 45 ACP case. Does anyone have some loads they would like to share? If you dont like Power Pistol do yall have anyother types out there your liking? Right now im loading 6.6grs of Unique behind a 230gr JHP and a CCI large primer. which is fairly good so far. but im always looking for better..
Old March 12, 2010, 06:12 PM   #2
nate45

I use 7.6 grains of Power Pistol with Winchester Large Pistol Primers and the Hornaday 230 grain XTP.
Old March 12, 2010, 06:22 PM   #3
slammedsi

Any idea on what that load is moving?
Old March 12, 2010, 06:30 PM   #4
nate45

925 fps+ from a 5 inch barrel.

I've been too lazy to get out the chronograph, but thats a very close estimate.
Old March 12, 2010, 08:30 PM   #5
slammedsi

Thanks for the help nate. Anyone using Bullseye for the 45acp?
Old March 12, 2010, 11:33 PM   #6
Jim243

Nope don't use Bullseye, just 5.6 grains of Win 231 for a 230 grain JHP.
Old March 12, 2010, 11:46 PM   #7
Sevens

I love Power Pistol, but I haven't used it in .45 Auto yet. I'm not sure that I will use it.

Power Pistol is much more at home running a higher pressure than .45 runs, so it asks for a much heavier charge weight than most of the other more popular .45 Auto powders.

I've been using Bullseye and Titegroup.
Old March 12, 2010, 11:46 PM   #8
DaveBeal

Quote:
Anyone using Bullseye for the 45acp?
4.0 gr of Bullseye behind Berry's plated 185gr hollow-backed round nose. I'm not big on recoil.
Old March 13, 2010, 12:00 AM   #9
JR_Roosa

I use bullseye and power pistol for .45 ACP, but I just started using PP recently for jacketed full velocity loads.

Bullseye for 200gr lead SWCs between 3.6 and 4.2 grains for slow, soft, accurate target rounds.

Bullseye for 200gr hornady XTPs based on whatever the max load is in the Hornady manual. (I didn't like these bullets, they would get pushed back on multiple chambering, but I got them in the middle of the ammo drought, powder was fine)

Bullseye for 230gr hornady XTPs based on the max load available on the Alliant website.

Power pistol for 230gr hornady XTPs based on the max load in the hornady manual.

I use both for various .38 special loads. I'm also planning on finding some good .40SW loads with a friend of mine trying out both powders, probably with plated bullets since he's got a glock.

They all work well enough for me, and the power pistol seems to give the highest velocity based on felt recoil. The lead is dirty as can be from the lube, but they are both plenty clean with jacketed bullets.

Power pistol looks almost exactly like bullseye and meters just as well.

Everybody says bullseye is dirty, but I clean everything at the end of the day anyway, so I don't really care enough to work up another powder. Maybe if they made a powder that cleans the gun for you I'd check it out.

-J
Old March 13, 2010, 12:52 AM   #10
J4ckBurt0n

My recipe...

I am currently loading up with CCI primers, Power Pistol and Oregon Trail Laser Cast 230gr. I asked the guys at Alliant what they would recommend for the recipe and they said 6.0gr to 6.5gr. I am currently experimenting with values in that range and have tried out 6.2. The rounds are solid and accurate. I do not have any way of measuring velocity or energy, but they put together solid groups at 10-15yds (which is my measure of success). I am firing them through a Ruger P-90 and a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible...
Old March 13, 2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Caboclo

I just started playing with Bullseye last weekend. Using 230 grn Precision Bullets moly coated lead round nose, Winchester primers and 1.21 COL, I got the following results from my 5" XD:

4.0 grains, 715 fps, soft recoil.

4.4 grains, 785 fps.

4.7 grains, 837 fps, close to factory full power recoil.
Old March 13, 2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Randy 1911

The last time I chronographed a 45 load, I was getting 918 fps with a Hornady 230 FMJ-RN and 7.3 grs. of PP with a Win. Large pistol primer. It was a 5" 1911 pistol. I got my best veloicities with PP. The temp was about 80 degrees. Colder weather will slow down the veloicity
Old March 13, 2010, 11:26 PM   #13
slammedsi

Hey everyone. thanks for all the help. i will be taking this data to the bench tomorrow morning to see what i come up with.
Old March 14, 2010, 01:38 AM   #14
Clark

In 45acp revolvers with long seating of 1.4" possible, I can get the most power with 230 gr and H110/W296 or LIL'GUN.

But in pistols or rifles where I have not throated long, and I am limited to 1.275", then Power Pistol gets me the most power.

How much power I can work up in those guns depends on case support and how the gun deals with recoil.
Old December 14, 2010, 03:19 PM   #15
QuakertownRich

Picked up a box of Hornady 230gr XTP/HP's and a lb of Power Pistol today. Did quite a bit of reading on different forums, websites and reloading manuals..then got to reloading.
Decided to start with some nickle cases, Winchester large pistol primers, then went with 6.8gr of PP. C.O.L was 1.204 with mild taper crimp(barely noticeable). Then, went to range. Test weapon is my only 45 at this time, a Sig P220. Result: cycled fine, brass flew about 6' back right of me, recoil was crisp but manageable. At 7yrds, grouping was consistent, within 2" all 7 shots. I know, not great, but then again, I am still getting used to this gun and was within the "kill zone". I don't think I want to go further as it was about as "crisp" as I feel comfortable going. I don't have chrono, so no fps is known.

Last edited by QuakertownRich; December 14, 2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old December 14, 2010, 06:17 PM   #16
gregjc9

I had been using 6.1gr behind a 200gr Plated RN in my Kimbers, works nicely. Lately I've tried 6.5gr and like it a little better, though my 16yr old son doesnt.

Greg
Old December 14, 2010, 10:16 PM   #17
WanMan99

5.0 grn's of Bullseye, Winchester lg primer, Remington 230gr RN FMJ
My S&W 1911 Stainless eats them up.. Very accurate grouping at 50' with benchrest.
Old December 14, 2010, 10:36 PM   #18
AlaskaMike

I love Power Pistol in .45 ACP. It absolutely excels in full power 230 grain jacketed loads. I've used 230 grain Gold Dots as well as XTPs over the same 7.6 grain charge that Nate mentions with great success.

What I really like about Power pistol is that while it works great at higher pressures, it is also flexible enough to load at sub-20kpsi pressure without presenting weird characteristics, or getting really sooty. Without a doubt it's one of my favorite pistol powders.
Old December 14, 2010, 11:00 PM   #19
testuser

I haven't tried it in .45 ACP, but Power Pistol is probably my favorite with standard pressure .38 Special, 9mm and .38 Super. My .38 Special loads have good velocity, low pressure, fire cleanly and are accurate...we're talking standard pressure .38's, too, not +P. I'd expect the same in .45 ACP.
Old December 15, 2010, 08:53 PM   #20
FtrPilot

I love Power Pistol. It meters well in my Hornady LNL progressive. My favorite recipe is:

7.1 gr Power Pistol
Precision Delta 230gr FMJ
Federal Large Pistol Primer
OAL 1.265

Excellent accuracy in my Sig P220. No problems cycling.

I just bought 16 pounds of Power Pistol from Grafs. It should last me about a year.
Old December 15, 2010, 11:43 PM   #21
Sevens

fun with numbers

At 7.1 grains, 18 pounds of Power Pistol will build for you 15,774 rounds if you don't spill any and you use it all up.

If you go shooting every single day of the calendar year, you'll have to take 43 shots at each range session to shoot all those rounds.

You could shoot a hundred rounds at each session, and only go to the range every OTHER day.

If you were able to burn through 300 rounds at each range session, you could pull it off by going to the range only once a week - - every single weekend of the entire year. Don't skip any!

Of course... P-D's current price for those slugs is $119 per thousand. I'm not sure about volume discounts, but if you want to burn all 16 pounds of your powder in one year doing only .45 with the P-D hardball, it'll cost you somewhere around nineteen hundred dollars, just in slugs. Probably a little over $300 in primers? The powder only cost about $250, I'm guessing. So assuming you've got the brass and all your equipment is good to go, that's only about $2,400 worth of ammo. (of course, if it were almost 16,000 rounds of factory ammo, that might cost about SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS depending on the going rate...)

Lots of brass in there. I've got a decent supply of .45 in my stash, but I'm pretty sure it's not quite 15,000 pieces. So there'll be a little bit of brass fetching and tumbling involved.

I'm sure some of the factory backed competition shooters will put 15k through a pistol in one year, but that's quite a plan for a year of shooting.

I'll have to wish you luck in that endeavor. I would like to try something like that, but I'm afraid I might get sick of shooting... picking up brass... reloading... and all of it at that rate!
Old December 16, 2010, 07:21 AM   #22
QuakertownRich

Did anyone else have the words "obsessive compulsive disorder" pop in their head after reading the prior post?
Old December 16, 2010, 12:12 PM   #23
AlaskaMike

Heheh...

I was only thinking how many decades 16 pounds of Power Pistol would last me at the current rate I'm shooting.
Old December 16, 2010, 03:48 PM   #24
44 AMP
Staff

Don't know Power Pistol, sorry.

6.5gr Unique, 230gr bullet. Factory duplication load listed in Lyman manual in 1973, and I've been using it ever since. Smokes a bit, and is a little dirty, but then, so am I.